At what age should you reduce the number of insects

marthanova

At what age do you start to give less feeders? I’ve read that some people give less feeders but still feed everyday and some feed every other day...
I have a panther chameleon turning 7 months on the 1st

At what age do you start to give less feeders? I’ve read that some people give less feeders but still feed everyday and some feed every other day...
I have a panther chameleon turning 7 months on the 1st
So at 10 months- I year you can give 2-3 feeders every other day.At seven months probably 5-6 feeders every other day or 3-4 feeders every day.

So at 10 months- I year you can give 2-3 feeders every other day.At seven months probably 5-6 feeders every other day or 3-4 feeders every day.
Females usually start to cut back at 4-6 months because of egg laying, males around the same time as well but more towards the 5-6 month range. For females it’s 5 food items every other day, males it’s 5-10 food items every other day. Once they’re 7-10 months 3-5 food items every other day. Also depends on species but that’s pretty much it. Once your cham is an adult they should get 2-3 food items every other day or every two days

Last edited:
Blah, people always repeating things that they read without understanding. As mentioned, depends male/female. For male panthers, you do not need to and IMO shouldn't cut back until at least 9 months. Veileds I could agree it makes sense to cut back earlier as they only live for a year or so in the wild(so they tend to overeat, unlike most panthers).

Thanks everyone, I have a male panther. Based on what everyone is saying I think I may be over feeding him I usually give him about 10-15 feeders a day but sometimes he doesn’t eat all of them

Yeah bro 10-15 feeders a day is something you definitely don't want to be doing
What? It's a 7 month old panther. 10-15 depending on size is NBD. How many panthers have you had(seriously, not being rude)? Maybe you've had some different experiences with Panthers IDK your history, but most will see Panthers eat as much as they need at young ages while tapering themselves down at about 9 months. As adults, my Panthers would eat 1-2x a week by their own choice.

Btw I'm speaking of males. My female I fed every other day from early on. Never had issues with eggs this way.

Last edited:
What? It's a 7 month old panther. 10-15 depending on size is NBD. How many panthers have you had(seriously, not being rude)? Maybe you've had some different experiences with Panthers IDK your history, but most will see Panthers eat as much as they need at young ages while tapering themselves down at about 9 months. As adults, my Panthers would eat 1-2x a week by their own choice.

Btw I'm speaking of males. My female I fed every other day from early on. Never had issues with eggs this way.
What is NBD?
This is my first which is why I was asking
I’ve been giving him the small dubia roaches not medium size

Thanks everyone, I have a male panther. Based on what everyone is saying I think I may be over feeding him I usually give him about 10-15 feeders a day but sometimes he doesn’t eat all of them
So your only doing small sized which is very different then a large dubia.
How much is he tapering back to and how is his size and weight?

So your only doing small sized which is very different then a large dubia.
How much is he tapering back to and how is his size and weight?
He wasn’t eating much yesterday but I noticed it was because he started to shed but he usually eats everything I give him sometimes he leave a few and I take them out before bedtime
F3AA1EE2-C6EF-4A42-8DDF-897D957A2C36.jpeg
3F19C852-C959-490D-BCE0-CA22A34FFC9B.jpeg
75993ADD-0AA8-4C58-B933-91F100C6B743.jpeg
60755E16-55BC-4729-BD97-9D87B801D3DD.jpeg
FAECE60B-E987-4428-A241-7E8EF2D653A4.jpeg

Oh sorry 😅 usually he does and early this week he wasn’t eating everything as he started to shed

Yeah that's a good sign, most panthers won't excessively eat. I wouldn't worry about it, you might find as an adult him getting very picky. After 9 months I'd just cut back to every day. 12-14 months could do every 3 days or so. Sometimes mine would eat once a week, other times 2-3x a week. As adults, just keep an eye that the weight isn't fluctuating much like @Beman said

Yeah that's a good sign, most panthers won't excessively eat. I wouldn't worry about it, you might find as an adult him getting very picky. After 9 months I'd just cut back to every day. 12-14 months could do every 3 days or so. Sometimes mine would eat once a week, other times 2-3x a week. As adults, just keep an eye that the weight isn't fluctuating much like @Beman said
I appreciate your help! And everyone else as well.
Once you start to give your chameleon food 2-3 a day at12-14 months do you stick to the same days every week or do you offer food the following day if it doesn’t eat on the day their supposed to? I assume sticking to certain days would be best to train the to eat ?

Back
Top Bottom