asking for help. new chameleon owner.

Connan_183

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon
    • The species: ambilobe panther chameleon
    • sex: male
    • How long has it been in your care? 2 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
    • He's only been handled once after he was removed from the packaging. He was very friendly with my boyfriend, but when I brought him home and tried to handle him he was very scared. Even when I try to stick my hand out inside the cage, for him to climb onto me he opens his mouth like he's attempting to bite me and he makes his chin really big (i'm assuming that's his defense mechanism). I'm kind of sad about it and don't quite understand why he's hostile with me and friendly towards my boyfriend (only that one time when he was removed from packaging, my bf hasn't handled him since then). I know it will take time for him to trust me, I've heard it takes months. I'm just worried, bc the female ambilobe panther chameleon we have was very friendly and never hostile (attempting to bite, making her chin bigger, etc...), moreso a bit scared, but allowed you to hold her.
  • Feeding
  • What are you feeding your cham? Live crickets
  • What amount? 12-15 daily
  • What is the schedule? First thing in the morning
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • I bought the orange cubed cricket diet sold in the bottle. I also shake the crickets in calcium powder before placing in the cage. I also give them cricket quencher. They are both the Fluker's brand.
  • Supplements -
  • What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • I only use repticalcium to coat his crickets with this. I am not using any vitamin products and am curious which vitamin products you guys would suggest for a more nutritious diet.
  • Watering -
  • What kind of watering technique do you use? I use a monsoon solo mister
  • How often and how long to you mist? every 4 hours for 120 seconds. Also, someone has suggested to use a dripper so that the chameleon can get constant water for drinking without overwatering the pothos plant i've placed within the cage as well as soaking the bottom of the cage. I've also thought about using a humidifier along with the mister and dripper. Do you guys think that's necessary? I have an analog humidity sensor inside the cage that gauges anywhere from 50-60% Also, I use a screen cage. I live in Texas and he's inside my room. the central AC unit runs at 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? I've seen my chameleon drinking once. I've noticed his first poop and it is soft and formed. I'm assuming he's hydrated. He's very shy around me so when I come to his cage he doesn't like to do much.
  • Fecal Description -
  • Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
    • His fecal dropping was brown, soft, and formed with a white thing attached to it. He's only had one bowel movement so far. I will continue to follow this. I'd like to know how often they are supposed to have bowel movements because I want to know if he's drinking enough water and he's not constipated or dehydrated.
  • Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No. Should I get this done? Suggestions welcomed.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    • I don't know much about his history, but I do know that I got him from backwater reptiles. He was quite pricey.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    • I got the chameleon kit bc I was clueless and thought that this kit would help me with the basic things. The cage is a screen cage that is 16" L x 16" W x 30" H
  • Lighting -
  • What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? I use zoo med lighting device that came with the kit. The kit also provided a tropical lighting kit with UVB.
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? I turn the lights on at 7 am and I turn them off at 9 pm.
  • Temperature -
  • What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Well, I don't have a temp range, unless the lighting helps control the temperature. Should I get a basking light/ceramic heat emitter?
  • Lowest overnight temp? Honestly, I don't know.
  • How do you measure these temps? I have a digital reader that tells me. I've checked it numerous times and it runs from 68 degrees F to 81 degrees F. I'd like to know what are the ideal temperatures I should be looking at for my chameleon (day and night, please).
  • Humidity -
  • What are your humidity levels? My humidity levels range from 50-60%. Is this acceptable?
  • How are you creating and maintaining these levels? By using my misting system and also placing my pothos plant inside. Before placing my pothos plant it was 50, after plant placement the humidity went up to 60%.
  • What do you use to measure humidity? I use an analog sensor.
  • Plants -
  • Are you using live plants? Yes, I just placed a live pothos plant.
  • Placement -
  • Where is your cage located? My cage is located close to the corner of my room.
  • Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Since it's in my room, it's placement in relation to everything is quite near. My ceiling fan is close, but the cage is not placed directly under it. Also, the air vent does not face the cage. No high traffic areas, the cage is located on a desk next to my dresser.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Roughly about 2 1/2" above the floor on a desk.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Dallas, Texas.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Currently, I'm concerned about humidity levels, temperature, and am I feeding him enough. Honestly, the MAJOR thing I'm worried about is him being hostile towards me forever. I know that I just got him, but I'm afraid that he will hate me and never want to be picked up. :-( He is so defensive every time I try to hold him compared to my other chameleon who is shy but allows you to hold her. She has already eaten a cricket from my boyfriend's hand, whereas mine doesn't even bother when I attempt. Both of them are ambilobe panther chameleons. I guess it will take time, just worried and of course I don't want to be bitten. lol.

Attachments

• conan.jpg
    conan.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 127
  • cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 168
Hi :) I'm sure you will be getting plenty of suggestions, advice and feedback. I have a veiled cham, so I won't be able to help you with the specifics on panthers, but I would suggest reading the care sheets for panthers. You found the How to ask for Help form, so maybe you have read them already... but if not, here they are:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/ - click on the links on the left side-bar to get details about lighting, water/humidity, food, etc.

Also, there are plenty of threads on this forum about how to "tame" your cham... do a search and see what others have tried :)

Your boy is brand new and everything is probably overwhelming right now. He will probably take a couple months (like you already know) to settle in and until he has been given that chance, you shouldn't rush him. He may have the personality of a "look, don't touch" pet... or he may warm up to more interaction. You just won't know for some time... like most things chameleons do... they do slowly.

I had success with doing things in stages. First, settle in.... he needs to get used to the door being opened and food going in and you leaving so he can eat. You are big and scary right now but he will come to understand that your face means food :) Then, next stage is... food goes in, door closes and you stand close by watching. You get the idea? You can't rush the stages.

Hang in there! For me, I kept busy keeping a log of food, temps, poop, etc. each day and that helped me track and realize that my girl was eating and pooping. Otherwise, I could easily think "omg, when was the last time she ..... ?!"

Hi :) I'm sure you will be getting plenty of suggestions, advice and feedback. I have a veiled cham, so I won't be able to help you with the specifics on panthers, but I would suggest reading the care sheets for panthers. You found the How to ask for Help form, so maybe you have read them already... but if not, here they are:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/ - click on the links on the left side-bar to get details about lighting, water/humidity, food, etc.

Also, there are plenty of threads on this forum about how to "tame" your cham... do a search and see what others have tried :)

Your boy is brand new and everything is probably overwhelming right now. I've read that he will probably take a couple months (like you already know) to settle in and until he has been given that chance, you shouldn't rush him. He may have the personality of a "look, don't touch" pet... or he may warm up to more interaction. You just won't know for some time... like most things chameleons do... they do slowly.

I had success with doing things in stages. First, settle in.... he needs to get used to the door being opened and food going in and you leaving so he can eat. You are big and scary right now but he will come to understand that your face means food :) Then, next stage is... food goes in, door closes and you stand close by watching. You get the idea? You can't rush the stages.

Hang in there! For me, I kept busy keeping a log of food, temps, poop, etc. each day and that helped me track and realize that my girl was eating and pooping. Otherwise, I could easily think "omg, when was the last time she ..... ?!"

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I have been meaning to write my paper for my class, but instead been thinking about how much my panther cham hates me. I need to be more patient. you are so helpful and very welcoming. I appreciate that very much as a new chameleon owner!

You are welcome! Go write your paper... it's too early to know if he hates you or not :LOL:

And what if he does hate you? so what, right? they are still beautiful and sassy when they have attitudes and a challenge to learn about and care for!

I would recommend that you feed/gutload you crickets with a wide assortment of greens and veggies such as dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, squash, etc and a bit of fruit such as berries, melon, pears and apples.

For supplements I use Rep-cal phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost all the feedings to help balance the poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects.

I use Rep-cal phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month lightly to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues but D3 produced from exposure to the UVB light shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out if it at will.

I use Herptivite twice a month lightly. It has a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A so the vitamin A so t build up in the system...so this leaves you in CO trip of when or if the chameleon gets prEformed or not. PrEformed sources can build up in the system.

There are lots of other products out there that are good too...you just need to make sure they are appropriate.

Appropriate basking temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part in nutrient absorption so it's important to make sure they are right. For a young panther I would keep the basking area in the mid to low 80'sF.

Hope this helps!

Looks like you got good advice on care. As far as tame well that just depends on you little buddy they are about as diversified as you or me, and each one is different. I have had some that seemed to be as tame as a dog, and I have had some that never come around. The little guy in my avatar I have had over four years, and he still hates my guts. Just be patient most usually learn to tolerate you in time.

The more confident and secure your chameleon feels the better chance you have of him settling down. The more places he has to hide the more he will come out and be seen. It's kind of counter intuitive. If they feel like they could easily hide they hide less. Aggression is usually a reaction to fear. Give him a chance to get use to the rhythms of your house hold and see how he is in a couple of weeks or more.
One other thing, my avatar has a lot of blue in his display colors and I've noticed he is most aggressive when I wear dark blue around him. I have to cover up any blues to get him to take food from me.

Back
Top Bottom