Asher's Progress Thread (56K Warning)

HouseofZoo

I decided to start a new general thread to document the progress that our newly adopted veiled cham has made. For those who have not seen the original thread in the health forum you can find it here.

We decided to name him Asher. A little unusual I know, but the meaning is "Fortunate; blessed; happy". I felt it fit him.

So tonight I'm happy to say he looks better than he did yesterday. He's sleeping in the middle of his plant right now, all plumped up and more colorful than I have seen him.

This is the picture I was sent when the owner inquired about trading me him for some crested geckos I had.

IMG_20110218_074545.jpg

And this is the cage he was living in, a 16x16x20 zoomed cage that was covered with cigarette smoke. (Not knocking smokers here, used to be one, but never did it in the house around my animals or kids)

IMG_20110412_104428.jpg

Here is the photos of him when I brought him home yesterday.

P1030099.jpg

P1030100.jpg

Missing the end of his tail
P1030101.jpg

And here's his new cage, a homemade 24x24x48
P1030113.jpg

Last, but not least, here is a picture of him tucked in for the night, FINALLY resting on a branch
P1030120.jpg

Well, that's all for now, there will be more updates and photos as time goes on.

Thats some sad photos im glad you saved him for adoption now im scared for the animals you traded in for him!! bad pet owners are not good in my books thank you for saving him!

Ok, yay to you rescuing him.
He looks like he was on the verge of death. Poor little tail tip. :(

I hope he thrives for you, and i like his name Once you fatten him up and unsink his eyes, I think he will be a gorgeous young man cham!

ahh so good for you to take this guy and give him a second chance, i hope it all works out great he looks like he will be a sweetie

I also traded him for some crocodile geckos that are in very good health as far as I can tell. That is the only reason I went ahead with the trade. The guy was pretty young, living with his girlfriend and I just do not think they knew how to take care of him properly.

HouseofZoo,
It breaks my heart to see an animal in this condition
But it is a testament to his sting will
Thank you for rescuing him
It wont take him long to realize he finally has a place to call home, one that will take excellent care. Judging just by his new cage

I also traded him for some crocodile geckos that are in very good health as far as I can tell. That is the only reason I went ahead with the trade. The guy was pretty young, living with his girlfriend and I just do not think they knew how to take care of him properly.

Well at least it appears he knows what to do with those guys

It's too bad you traded animals to them knowing the chameleon was in bad condition. You shouldn't have given them anything, imho.

Glad he is in a better home.

Well I suppose my decision was partially based on the fact that crested geckos are a beginner reptile. My 11 and 7 year olds take care of their own all by themselves, so I'm praying I didn't give him more credit than they deserve. They went with at least 3 months worth of food and, as I mentioned above, visually, the crocodile geckos I got also are very healthy and active. The cage they came with was properly setup for their species. This wasn't a decision made lightly or without a LOT of discussion with the previous owner.

That is wonderful that you took this guy in! He must be thinking he died and went to cham heaven! Can't wait to see the progress he makes when he is fed properly and taken care of with tlc. The new cage looks great!!

I was taking some pictures of Asher and the others last night and when going through them I found this one. He's finally sleeping higher up in the cage and in spots where I'm actually able to find him easily. Instead of rocking sideways of the edge of his branches to be sneaky and hide, he sits and stares at me now when I talk to me. I think we're gonna be good together, Asher and I.

Oh yeah, and check out his belly...lol I click and drag between this photo and the first photo I was sent of him and it's amazing the different a couple of days can make.

P1030130.jpg

Here's a picture of the super cute crocodile geckos I also received. They're checking out their new home right now.

P1030122.jpg

P1030124.jpg

P.S. What is a ball park average when it comes to weights. I know they're all different, but I know 79g is too low.

He'll be happy to be cared for, no doubt about it. It's sad to see an animal in such a condition, but I'm glad he's picking up. Those geckos are adorable.

I suggest you check up on the geckos you traded in too in time, if they're in a worse condition than when you sent them in it could be a sign of a genuinely bad store that needs closing down. Could just be a case of a store that knows nothing of chameleon care though.

Back
Top Bottom