Are we doing something wrong?

What type of Panther did you get ambilobe,ambanja,nosy be,nosy Faly ?
First off it was sold to you at too young of age but you did well and second of it’s a Nosy be or Nosy Faly they will grow at a slower rate. For caging if you your concern are screen cages then IMHO if I only had the one and wanted not only a functional but beautiful piece of furniture I would go with this https://tamura-designs.com/products/24x24x48
I have no idea what kind of Panther we got, we went to Repticon and I don’t remember the guy saying and we def didn’t know to ask. He was also selling unhatched eggs for people to buy and hatch themselves. I was def not going down that road.

This will be a super helpful video for you to watch. It walks you through step-by-step on how to set up a chameleon enclosure correctly:

And some other helpful videos:

So watching thru videos. Just watched the cage setup. Question: if I did an LED light plus UVB isn’t that a lot of light, won’t it be pretty bright?

Yes, but your plants really need the led and your Cham really needs the uvb as well as a heat lamp to bask. I use the t5ho with an Arcadia 6% bulb, a 60 watt incandescent bulb for basking and a 70 watt led sansi light on top of my guys enclosure.
I use the same. It’s not any brighter than the natural sun. Plus, you’ll be putting in lots of plants so your chameleon has shaded areas to hang out if he wants.

Another option is the Arcadia pro t5ho uvb & jungle dawn led plant light they combine to use same power outlet which i found highly convenient, and made safer than using multi gang extension cable/adapters with all the water involved in keeping chameleon
Screenshot_20211224-102339~2.png

Another option is the Arcadia pro t5ho uvb & jungle dawn led plant light they combine to use same power outlet which i found highly convenient, and made safer than using multi gang extension cable/adapters with all the water involved in keeping chameleonView attachment 317056
That does seem like a good option, fewer cords and chances for electrical issues. I’m taking a bunch of notes and looking stuff up on Amazon. I gotta figure out a piece of furniture to put a bigger cage on that has some storage or is open to put a bucket for the mister I’m looking at.

My husband bought a panther cham is Aug, guessing it was about a month old. Idk is was pretty small (size of 1st joint on finger). Well it’s now end of December and I feel like it should be bigger. It has shed 3xs; most recent within the last week. I think the colors are just starting; looks like I can see a faint green. It def gets dark lines/spots. It’s in a fairly small cage…… does it need a bigger cage to grow? Not sure if we are doing anything wrong. It eats quite a bit, mostly fruit flies. Doesn’t really seem to go for the black fly larvae. Have been giving bean beetles also. Waiting on some other food options to come (crickets and other wormy things). It seems healthy…… just isn’t very big.
As others have mentioned, there are some tweaks you could make to your setup, but as for growth: if it’s shedding, it’s growing. How big is your Cham? Weight/age?

As others have mentioned, there are some tweaks you could make to your setup, but as for growth: if it’s shedding, it’s growing. How big is your Cham? Weight/age?
Guessing it’s about 5-6 months old. No idea of weight. Probably the length of my middle finger. It’s def bigger than it was but seeing pics I thought he would be bigger.

That does seem like a good option, fewer cords and chances for electrical issues. I’m taking a bunch of notes and looking stuff up on Amazon. I gotta figure out a piece of furniture to put a bigger cage on that has some storage or is open to put a bucket for the mister I’m looking at.
Like I mentioned before the enclosure from tamura designs has everything your looking for in a cage. A nice piece of furniture, a stand in the form of a cabinet for storage. Where you a can storage your mister pump and water container. It might be a little costly for some but it would be beautiful enclosure to display in any house.
https://tamura-designs.com/products/24x24x48

Guessing it’s about 5-6 months old. No idea of weight. Probably the length of my middle finger. It’s def bigger than it was but seeing pics I thought he would be bigger.
At this size/age, 3/8” crickets and dubia nymphs are of acceptable size. At this size, there’s no reason to be feeding exclusively fruit flies and bean beetles.

At this size/age, 3/8” crickets and dubia nymphs are of acceptable size. At this size, there’s no reason to be feeding exclusively fruit flies and bean beetles.
Ok. We have ordered additional food from Ghanns. Just waiting for it to get here (dubia roaches & crickets).

Ok. We have ordered additional food from Ghanns. Just waiting for it to get here (dubia roaches & crickets).
Another good source for information , which I solely trust The gentleman who’s been doing it for over 40 years . Is “Chamaeleon Academy” Bill Strand , it’s easily looked up . I still haven’t figured out how to post links 😊. I know this all seems a little overwhelming , by the plethora of information you just received it’s also important to watch his activity . I noticed mine will get up in the morning and go through a routine of sun then UVB then it’s on to hunting for food A slowdown in the middle of the day A little more activity at night just before lights out and literally he will go to his sleeping spot 10 or 15 minutes before lights out . The biggest factors you’ll encounter that are important besides supplementation are Warm temperatures low humidity during the day High humidity low temperatures at night . Good luck and welcome 😊👌

Another good source for information , which I solely trust The gentleman who’s been doing it for over 40 years . Is “Chamaeleon Academy” Bill Strand , it’s easily looked up . I still haven’t figured out how to post links 😊. I know this all seems a little overwhelming , by the plethora of information you just received it’s also important to watch his activity . I noticed mine will get up in the morning and go through a routine of sun then UVB then it’s on to hunting for food A slowdown in the middle of the day A little more activity at night just before lights out and literally he will go to his sleeping spot 10 or 15 minutes before lights out . The biggest factors you’ll encounter that are important besides supplementation are Warm temperatures low humidity during the day High humidity low temperatures at night . Good luck and welcome 😊👌
There’s def a ton of info to sift through. I will check out the Chameleon Academy. Got stuff ordered for a new/bigger enclosure. Researching the drainage issue now. Just wanna do things the right way upfront if possible. I know there will be some trial and error. One thing I’m struggling with is getting him/her (not sure of sex yet) to eat out of a feeding cup where I put the larvae.

There’s def a ton of info to sift through. I will check out the Chameleon Academy. Got stuff ordered for a new/bigger enclosure. Researching the drainage issue now. Just wanna do things the right way upfront if possible. I know there will be some trial and error. One thing I’m struggling with is getting him/her (not sure of sex yet) to eat out of a feeding cup where I put the larvae.
That’s awesome keep us updated it’s so frustrating when someone starts a thread and never finishes . It helps everybody who’s getting into it Understand your trial and errors . Glad to see you’re doing things right . So many don’t, kill their chameleons and never come back. I wouldn’t worry about feeding for the first week or so as their acclimating . Of course my boy came home at 8:15 on his first day . I use a shooting range type theater for the crickets and I put the larva in a small glass bowl at the bottom . Sometimes I’ll put them on a branch close to where he’s at and then leave him alone and stand way back and watch . Sometimes I don’t like to be watched eating . Look forward to your future posts

Drainage will depend partly on the type of enclosure you buy or build (DIY).
There's a drainage thread here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/

If possible, a transparent or translucent feeder cup will allow your cham to see motion (and stimulate feeding response) from almost anywhere. Nature will do the rest.
Some of us have found these:
1640624066978.png

Inexpensive and just translucent enough that my cham can instantly tell if lunch is served. 😋

Back
Top Bottom