Are we doing something wrong?

Drainage will depend partly on the type of enclosure you buy or build (DIY).
There's a drainage thread here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/

If possible, a transparent or translucent feeder cup will allow your cham to see motion (and stimulate feeding response) from almost anywhere. Nature will do the rest.
Some of us have found these:
View attachment 317190
Inexpensive and just translucent enough that my cham can instantly tell if lunch is served. 😋
I have a clear green one so I put that in. Suction cup won’t stick so it’s just resting on bottom. Will try to stick tmrw. Hopefully he/she starts eating out of it. Tired of chasing these damn larvae around

Dubia nymphs make perfect feeders for babies. Higher protein too
Not in disagreement, but i have been ordering online and from my experience they was too big even the small ones where massive. If you purchase from a pet shop you have the advantage of seeing them beforehand. Of course you can start a roach colony for farming nymphs yourself but this is less practical if you don't have a few animals too feed.

Not in disagreement, but i have been ordering online and from my experience they was too big even the small ones where massive. If you purchase from a pet shop you have the advantage of seeing them beforehand. Of course you can start a roach colony for farming nymphs yourself but this is less practical if you don't have a few animals too feed.
We will see. I know we needed to get away from fruit flies and bean beetles. I don’t think he/she is big enough for the hornworms and he/she isn’t eating the black soldier fly larvae, which I can’t figure out why. Just doesn’t seem to have any interest in a feeding cup

We will see. I know we needed to get away from fruit flies and bean beetles. I don’t think he/she is big enough for the hornworms and he/she isn’t eating the black soldier fly larvae, which I can’t figure out why. Just doesn’t seem to have any interest in a feeding cup
Silkworms are easily attainable in small sizes and I just ordered some hornworms that when I open the container I couldn’t see them but they grow very quickly . Here’s a shot of them after five days when I could finally see them and then one after nine . Depending on the temperature they grow pretty quick

Attachments

• 8080EA87-56A4-423C-9CAA-D0E90EC336F2.jpeg
    8080EA87-56A4-423C-9CAA-D0E90EC336F2.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 71
  • BA481FA9-0CBA-4B91-B0A6-4F71A80FAF82.jpeg
    BA481FA9-0CBA-4B91-B0A6-4F71A80FAF82.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 65
Silkworms are easily attainable in small sizes and I just ordered some hornworms that when I open the container I couldn’t see them but they grow very quickly . Here’s a shot of them after five days when I could finally see them and then one after nine . Depending on the temperature they grow pretty quick
I think my husband ordered silk worms. We just got a bunch of bugs from Ghanns today (crickets, roaches and 2 worms/larvae). I put roaches, crickets and black fly larvae in his cup to see if he will go to it and start eating from there.

If you let the black soldier fly larvae pupate to the flies you might find your chameleon has more interest in them. I exclusively do this and rarely offer them in the maggot form

They all end up dying before they pupate. He hasn’t eaten I don’t think in now 3 days. Idk I’m super frustrated with this whole process. Won’t eat from a feeder cup so only fruit flies but now that’s not happening. We screwed up supplements but I’ve boughten everything and correcting but if he’s not eating, then no supplements. Got a whole new setup in, just waiting on a few more supplies to get here to put it all together. He’s spending all his time on the ground. We got horrible information from the get go and now I think we seriously messed up

They all end up dying before they pupate. He hasn’t eaten I don’t think in now 3 days. Idk I’m super frustrated with this whole process. Won’t eat from a feeder cup so only fruit flies but now that’s not happening. We screwed up supplements but I’ve boughten everything and correcting but if he’s not eating, then no supplements. Got a whole new setup in, just waiting on a few more supplies to get here to put it all together. He’s spending all his time on the ground. We got horrible information from the get go and now I think we seriously messed up
Are you sure they are dying, when they ready to pupate they go into a resting stage look dark and dried out. After a certain amount of time (depending on temperature) they emerge as magnificent black soldier fly. Slow flying without biting mouth parts and irresistible to little chameleons

Are you sure they are dying, when they ready to pupate they go into a resting stage look dark and dried out. After a certain amount of time (depending on temperature) they emerge as magnificent black soldier fly. Slow flying without biting mouth parts and irresistible to little chameleons
Well then maybe they aren’t. They def look dried out and not moving. Well next time this happens I will wait and see what happens. Do I do anything special or just leave them in the substrate they come in (like put it all in a bigger container so the flies can emerge?)

I feed my black soldier fly larvae also known as Bsfl. I put cut up veggies that I feed my other insects with right into their container and they eat them right up. This helps them to turn into flies I think.

I feed my black soldier fly larvae also known as Bsfl. I put cut up veggies that I feed my other insects with right into their container and they eat them right up. This helps them to turn into flies I think.
Ok. I will have to do that. If I can get him to eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom