Are these the BIGGEST locusts? ever!

ronnie

Hi...i got these guy's off a supplier i haven't used before and when they came i thought they were to big for Trixxi...so a couple of days later and they have grown MASSIVE! they measure in at 3 and a half inches and have wings and look really scary looking!No way are they going in with my girl!they would probably eat her!:D....question is....what shall i do with them! any ideas??

Attachments

• Big locusts 032.JPG
    Big locusts 032.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Big locusts 031.JPG
    Big locusts 031.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 231
They are adult locusts. I had one shed into an adult today too - it's old skin is tiny in comparison. I think they are really pretty with wings! Lily loved eating the adults - I think chams find the wings irresistible! I'm sure Trixxi will love them too! I posted a thread adult locusts before: https://www.chameleonforums.com/yummy-adult-locusts-22986/

Do you think they will be OK to give them to her then? they look really big in comparison to the ones i usually give her!...should i just gut load these as usual too?carrots,apple and the bug grub?

I gutload mine with Wild Rocket leaves, they love it! Trixxi is fully grown so I think she'll be ok. Just check that the width of the widest part of the locust is smaller than the gap between Trixxi's eyes. Like I said, Lily loved them, and they are not a lot bigger than the extra large ones - the wings make them look bigger.

Peanut is on the sub adult size already! She loves them :D

I feed the adult ones to my mantids because i dont want to risk them being too big for Peanut at the moment. Maybe in a month or two :D

I agree with Tiff though, they are cute... much better then crickets!!!

I gutload mine with Wild Rocket leaves, they love it! Trixxi is fully grown so I think she'll be ok. Just check that the width of the widest part of the locust is smaller than the gap between Trixxi's eyes. Like I said, Lily loved them, and they are not a lot bigger than the extra large ones - the wings make them look bigger.

I was having a good look at them and their bodies look pretty big!i will try her out on one of the smallest ones in the group and see how we go!thanks for the help guys

years ago i caught one in the backyard and tried to feed it to my big male panther, but he didnt want it so i tried feeding to my smaller female, and she went for it. problem was the locust was on the top of the cage and when she hit it it didnt let go, then she fell off her perch and started swinging back and forth by her tongue from the locust that is still holding on to the top of the cage. i opened the cage and supported her so she wouldn't strain her tongue any more and she pulled the locust down and gobbled him down. How she didn't strain her tongue is beyond me, i thought for sure it would be really badly wounded, but it was fine from what i could tell, she never had any problems eating after that.

Hi...i got these guy's off a supplier i haven't used before and when they came i thought they were to big for Trixxi...so a couple of days later and they have grown MASSIVE! they measure in at 3 and a half inches and have wings and look really scary looking!No way are they going in with my girl!they would probably eat her!:D....question is....what shall i do with them! any ideas??

Wait till I get a pic of the 5-6 maybe 7 inch locusts I find in the mountains near me.
Paul and I went up the mountain just neat my house to find locusts that we can feed to our chameleons, and we found about 3 huge locusts about 5-7 inches (12 cm), and they were not thin and stick like, they were huge and bulky.
Paul offered the largest one to his full grown male veiled, he got into striking position and then once realising how big the thing actauly is, he put back his toung and walked as far away as possible.

Please do not say "you both are bad keepers offering wc insects".

We carfully hand selected the insects, we cam across some that were green, some brown and very few which were black and red (the black and reds we did not collect because they did seem harmful).
Our chams ate all the of them except that huge one.
And they loved them!

well i fed off a few of the smallest ones (still pretty big for my girl) and she devoured them (rather evil looking!!):eek:.....so maybe i'll offer up bigger feeders from now on!........still and always learning!:)

Glad she liked them! Lily loved the wingy ones, lol! I bought extra large ones a couple of weeks ago by mistake - Amy had one or two, but most of them were too big for her. I was distracted by the baby Leopard Geckos that had just been fed in the shop and picked up the wrong size! :eek: :D

Wait till I get a pic of the 5-6 maybe 7 inch locusts I find in the mountains near me.

Check this bad boy out. The hand is slightly of focus, but you get the point.
Maybe not locust, but I did think of my chameleons when I found it...

Attachments

• insekt.jpg
    insekt.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom