Are these plants safe? Please help!

Beau Ashton

i recently purchased some plants from home depot; hoping to put them in with my (probably few month old) veiled chameleon. i was wondering if the plants were safe for him.

here are the plant names:

- Dracaena Marginata

- Croton (Codiaeum Hybrid)

- Australian Sword Fern ‘Kimberly Queen’ (Nephrolepis Obliterata)

- Sweet Potato Vine ‘Black’ (Ipomoea batatas)

the names should be in order with the pictures below.

Attachments

• CA852BE9-7603-4A20-9583-7C83A1EB0F04.jpeg
    CA852BE9-7603-4A20-9583-7C83A1EB0F04.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 126
  • CD9E8AAB-E9A3-4BDB-AA9F-7BB8CACEA05A.jpeg
    CD9E8AAB-E9A3-4BDB-AA9F-7BB8CACEA05A.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 5CB7DC52-EBCF-46B3-B27C-0E171D27BA28.jpeg
    5CB7DC52-EBCF-46B3-B27C-0E171D27BA28.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 69BDAC5F-5460-4F69-B726-F042B8C42CF3.jpeg
    69BDAC5F-5460-4F69-B726-F042B8C42CF3.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
The only plants that I know are for sure safe for veiled are hibiscus, ficus, Hawaiian umbrella, golden pothos, and croton. It's a little hard to tell what all the plants are in your pictures, and I am not a botanist so I can't identify them, but I'm not certain they would be best for your little guy.

It's a little hard to tell what all the plants are in your pictures, and I am not a botanist so I can't identify them

i replaced the pictures with some more clear ones. i also specified all of the plant names above the pictures.

Last edited:
i specified all of the plant names above the pictures. did you see?
Oh, I don't know how I completely missed that. Anyway, the first on, the Croton, should be alright, however, I have not seen the other three in anyone's husbandry before, and they may be toxic, I will do some further research and tell you what I find. The best bet for right now is to keep the last three away from your veiled.

After a little more research Flchams has a list that says any Dracaena species should be all right, but I can't find any information about the other to plants.

it’s a little small, but i’m getting a larger space for him soon.
How soon are you getting the larger cage? When you get it make sure you get a wire mesh cage that's taller than it is wide because chameleons have very sensitive respiratory systems and having them in a glass cage can lead to infections, and chameleons need verticle space since they are used to dwelling in the trees. It's also generally a bad idea to have substrate because it could cause impactions, or many other problems so it is recommended that you remove that to prevent future problems

How soon are you getting the larger cage? When you get it make sure you get a wire mesh cage that's taller than it is wide because chameleons have very sensitive respiratory systems and having them in a glass cage can lead to infections, and chameleons need verticle space since they are used to dwelling in the trees. It's also generally a bad idea to have substrate because it could cause impactions, or many other problems so it is recommended that you remove that to prevent future problems
i’m planning on it all. thank you :)

I have used both...
Dracaena and Crotons in with my Veiled. I would not use the other two with a Veiled just because they eat their plants and I have not heard of those specifically being ok to use. I highly recommend Pothos plants. They are fantastic and mature ones with long vines create walking paths for them.

You are going to want to upgrade that cage sooner then later. Looks like a standard tank so your ventilation is going to be very poor. Much higher risk of a RI.

My panther seems to really like his Dracaena Marginata, it used to be his mattress , lol. He would head down to it before bedtime, curl up near the stem on a leaf or two. Now he just uses it to go from one place to another. He's getting bigger & realizing he likes branches more. Never seen him eat any plants yet tho (he's about 5 months old) but he love the pothos for climbing, and its pretty much his go to plant for water when he gets misted right now. Loves the dripping leaves and soft vines (like chameleon sippy cups, lol)

Back
Top Bottom