Are these plants safe for my veiled?

Omi

So Ive been doing a lot of research on What plants Are toxic and safe for chameleons. Everyone has different opinions on these plants, I also found a lovely plant called “ficus umbellata” (picture below) is this safe?

Here’s a list of plants that I would like for you to confirm if they’re toxic or not

Ficus umbellata
Croton
Wandering Jew
Rubber plant
Umbrella plant
Monstrea/swiss cheese plant
Dracena
Spiderplant
Baby’s tears
Passion flower
Money tree
Polka dot plant

I bought a new enclosure for my veiled, it’s 60x45x90

Please help me with what plants I can have and what you recommend

Helix never eat plants

Thank you!

Attachments

• BFFD7AB0-3F9C-481A-9198-DBE5C2FF82FD.jpeg
    BFFD7AB0-3F9C-481A-9198-DBE5C2FF82FD.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 119
So in the chameleon world plants are not considered safe but more so they are considered veiled tested... Which means that the plants have been eaten by a veiled and no immediate negative result was found. What does this mean to you. Many of the plants that are veiled tested are considered toxic. While these plants do not have an immediate response of causing an issue or death we still do not know if they are causing harm... No one has studied this.

This page will help explain and show you all veiled tested plants https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Now as far as your list.

Ficus umbellata I do not know about this type of ficus.
Croton considered veiled safe
Wandering Jew considered veiled safe
Rubber plant Not one I would try just because of the type of plant... Not a branch producing plant and very thick leaves.
Umbrella plant considered veiled safe
Monstrea/swiss cheese plant I know other veiled keepers that use this one
Dracena I have used a few types of dracena without issue
Spiderplant I know other veiled keepers that use this one
Baby’s tears I do not know about this one.
Passion flower I know other veiled keepers that use this one
Money tree considered veiled safe
Polka dot plant NOT Considered veiled safe.

Keep in mind with many of these plants you have listed you will have to have great plant lighting or they will start to die off.

When you choose your placement look up if they like to be moist and what light level they like. Then put plants that do not like constant moisture out from under direct misting. Plants liking lower light not on the top level.

So Ive been doing a lot of research on What plants Are toxic and safe for chameleons. Everyone has different opinions on these plants, I also found a lovely plant called “ficus umbellata” (picture below) is this safe?

Here’s a list of plants that I would like for you to confirm if they’re toxic or not

Ficus umbellata
Croton
Wandering Jew
Rubber plant
Umbrella plant
Dracena
Spiderplant
Baby’s tears
Passion flower
Money tree
Polka dot plant

Helix never eat plants

Thank you!
Like everyone else said, I would skip the ficus elastica. I had one in my cham's enclosure briefly. His behavior was off and he barely went near it. When I switched it out, he utilized his whole enclosure and brightened up color wise.

Ficus umbellata
Croton
Wandering Jew
Rubber plant
Umbrella plant
Dracena
Spiderplant
Baby’s tears
Passion flower
Money tree
Polka dot plant

Helix never eat plants

Thank you!
What the cage look like iam curious ?

Ficus umbellata
Croton
Wandering Jew
Rubber plant
Umbrella plant
Dracena
Spiderplant
Baby’s tears
Passion flower
Money tree
Polka dot plant

Helix never eat plants

Thank you!
This was a link I was given on safe plants for veiled by a people that have raised and breed veiled for over 20 years. Hope this helps as I had everything wrong for my veiled and now she is as happy as can be.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-...LK9UKIjcq82dI2rg0kwsUBJvv-nXn-fWrUBslR61qxQ#m

I'm a person who like to continuously look at thing in different places so I can do my absolute best for my animals.
It’s not terrible, but some plants on it last time are a little questionable, while others are safe. Just a bit dated Id say. Better than nothing though I guess! Just google the toxicity of a plant you’re interested in. I find that to be the best way to go about picking plants(assuming they survive in a Cham habitat).

It’s not terrible, but some plants on it last time are a little questionable, while others are safe. Just a bit dated Id say. Better than nothing though I guess! Just google the toxicity of a plant you’re interested in. I find that to be the best way to go about picking plants(assuming they survive in a Cham habitat).
Survival of the plants has been a little bit of an issue. I'm not great with plants though so it very well could be me them in habitat or combination of them.

This was a link I was given on safe plants for veiled by a people that have raised and breed veiled for over 20 years. Hope this helps as I had everything wrong for my veiled and now she is as happy as can be.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-...LK9UKIjcq82dI2rg0kwsUBJvv-nXn-fWrUBslR61qxQ#m
This list is actually not a safe plant list for chams. This is a safe list for dogs and cats.

This site provides up to date tested info for safe chameleon plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
If you have a Veiled chameleon it is far better to go with plants that have been proven safe over time since they eat their plants at times.

Still not alot of plants that are veiled safe. I'm using all pothos this time so I can keep floor clean.

Still not alot of plants that are veiled safe. I'm using all pothos this time so I can keep floor clean.
There’s a ton actually lol just these are the ones test. Interestingly, many of these are technically toxic, but don’t seem to cause any harm 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom