Are these insects safe?

So I'm at my parent's house out in the countryside where I grew up. I now live in a big city but I am at my parent's house for the weekend to visit and to attend a few grad parties over the weekend. Anyways, the reason I mention this is because there are 4 acres that are now my playground. A huge field, a pond, a bunch of yard... and it's all pesticide free! So I brought a BUTTLOAD of containers to catch a bunch of wild insects for my chameleon and really give him variety like he has never had before. Now I'm not sure how many insects I will be posting on this thread but I'm sure there will be lots. My night has just began. I'm catching night insects right now and I'm coming across some interesting moths at the moment. As I catch things, I am Googling info to see if they are poisonous in any way. If I can't find FOR SURE info, I'm going to post the insects here for input. This will go on through the next 24 hours probably, as I will be catching daytime insects come tomorrow too.

SO, we begin with the first insect I'm unsure of here... the Painted Lichen Moth, Hypoprepia Fucosa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoprepia_fucosa

View attachment 161203

The larvae feed on lichen, algae and moss on trees. That doesn't sound bad but I can't find any info on possible toxicity. Anyone got a clue? As I find more insects I'm unsure of I will add more and ask. I search on Google to identify it or what I believe to be it and do a search on here as well before asking. I will provide a picture of what I caught, as well as a link to where I tried to identify it online. Any help on any/all questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Most species of night flying moths should be fine, but watch for some that have brightly colored hind wings- these may be a warning sign for predators. Any of the cutworm or armyworm species should be fine. I collect grasshoppers by using a sweep net, and offer those of appropriate size to my chameleons. There are some predatory insects that are active during the day, and should be avoided. These include the nabidae and others that obviously have piercing mouthpards. I have had only one fatality from these, however.
Don't be concerned about insecricidees if you know the history of the field management. The bugs would be dead if they were sprayed.
Now, a question- how do lizards eat bees and wasps without being stung? MY bearded dragons love them, and seem to handle them safely.
I avoid flies that commonly freqjuent rotten meat or plants. They might be ok, but it seems that they would be likely to carry nasty bacteria.

At least you are getting information about the insects and not just throwing anything in the cage.

I try to research anything new thst I do to the fullest extent that I can so I don't harm my cham

Don't be concerned about insecricidees if you know the history of the field management. The bugs would be dead if they were sprayed.

The field was five miles out into the country away from a city. Doesn't get sprayed.

I realize the overwhelming consensus is to not feed wild caught insects, however veiled chameleons (and other chameleons) wouldn't be thriving in various parts of South Florida if wild insects weren't relatively safe and provide much of the nutrition necessary for a chameleon to thrive on. I know nearly every insect or larva can harbor some parasites, even captive bread although less likely. That being said...

In general, how safe are locusts/grasshoppers for chameleons? I plan on captive bred black soldier flys and discoids as staples and captive bred silkworms and possibly wild caught locusts as suplimental feeders. Anyone have any scientific research or first hand experience to share what parasites can be passed from insect to lizard?

Monarchs are poisonous, so are their larvae, never feed them. Painted ladies however which I am pretty sure are the monarch look alike, are perfectly fine. Just gotta learn how to tell them apart.

Painted ladies however which I am pretty sure are the monarch look alike, are perfectly fine. Just gotta learn how to tell them apart.

Painted Ladies are the ones I was after. Those are the ones that Mulberry Farms sells. I was going to catch them and look them up to tell the difference. But I never found any, so I guess it doesn't matter today. Perhaps another time.

So I'm at my parent's house out in the countryside where I grew up. I now live in a big city but I am at my parent's house for the weekend to visit and to attend a few grad parties over the weekend. Anyways, the reason I mention this is because there are 4 acres that are now my playground. A huge field, a pond, a bunch of yard... and it's all pesticide free! So I brought a BUTTLOAD of containers to catch a bunch of wild insects for my chameleon and really give him variety like he has never had before. Now I'm not sure how many insects I will be posting on this thread but I'm sure there will be lots. My night has just began. I'm catching night insects right now and I'm coming across some interesting moths at the moment. As I catch things, I am Googling info to see if they are poisonous in any way. If I can't find FOR SURE info, I'm going to post the insects here for input. This will go on through the next 24 hours probably, as I will be catching daytime insects come tomorrow too.

SO, we begin with the first insect I'm unsure of here... the Painted Lichen Moth, Hypoprepia Fucosa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoprepia_fucosa

View attachment 161203

The larvae feed on lichen, algae and moss on trees. That doesn't sound bad but I can't find any info on possible toxicity. Anyone got a clue? As I find more insects I'm unsure of I will add more and ask. I search on Google to identify it or what I believe to be it and do a search on here as well before asking. I will provide a picture of what I caught, as well as a link to where I tried to identify it online. Any help on any/all questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No lightning bugs (fireflies)!!!!

Monarchs are poisonous, so are their larvae, never feed them. Painted ladies however which I am pretty sure are the monarch look alike, are perfectly fine. Just gotta learn how to tell them apart.
Monarch and painted lady butterflies are easy to identify, just look at some photos. Again, monarch butterflies and larvae are toxic, birds wont even eat them. The toxin comes from milkweed plants that the larvae feed on. Chams probably would spit them out rather than swallow them.

Back
Top Bottom