Are these insects safe?

trickedoutbiker

Avid Member
So I'm at my parent's house out in the countryside where I grew up. I now live in a big city but I am at my parent's house for the weekend to visit and to attend a few grad parties over the weekend. Anyways, the reason I mention this is because there are 4 acres that are now my playground. A huge field, a pond, a bunch of yard... and it's all pesticide free! So I brought a BUTTLOAD of containers to catch a bunch of wild insects for my chameleon and really give him variety like he has never had before. Now I'm not sure how many insects I will be posting on this thread but I'm sure there will be lots. My night has just began. I'm catching night insects right now and I'm coming across some interesting moths at the moment. As I catch things, I am Googling info to see if they are poisonous in any way. If I can't find FOR SURE info, I'm going to post the insects here for input. This will go on through the next 24 hours probably, as I will be catching daytime insects come tomorrow too.

SO, we begin with the first insect I'm unsure of here... the Painted Lichen Moth, Hypoprepia Fucosa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoprepia_fucosa

20160703_002910.jpg

The larvae feed on lichen, algae and moss on trees. That doesn't sound bad but I can't find any info on possible toxicity. Anyone got a clue? As I find more insects I'm unsure of I will add more and ask. I search on Google to identify it or what I believe to be it and do a search on here as well before asking. I will provide a picture of what I caught, as well as a link to where I tried to identify it online. Any help on any/all questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
So I'm at my parent's house out in the countryside where I grew up. I now live in a big city but I am at my parent's house for the weekend to visit and to attend a few grad parties over the weekend. Anyways, the reason I mention this is because there are 4 acres that are now my playground. A huge field, a pond, a bunch of yard... and it's all pesticide free! So I brought a BUTTLOAD of containers to catch a bunch of wild insects for my chameleon and really give him variety like he has never had before. Now I'm not sure how many insects I will be posting on this thread but I'm sure there will be lots. My night has just began. I'm catching night insects right now and I'm coming across some interesting moths at the moment. As I catch things, I am Googling info to see if they are poisonous in any way. If I can't find FOR SURE info, I'm going to post the insects here for input. This will go on through the next 24 hours probably, as I will be catching daytime insects come tomorrow too.

SO, we begin with the first insect I'm unsure of here... the Painted Lichen Moth, Hypoprepia Fucosa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoprepia_fucosa

View attachment 161203

The larvae feed on lichen, algae and moss on trees. That doesn't sound bad but I can't find any info on possible toxicity. Anyone got a clue? As I find more insects I'm unsure of I will add more and ask. I search on Google to identify it or what I believe to be it and do a search on here as well before asking. I will provide a picture of what I caught, as well as a link to where I tried to identify it online. Any help on any/all questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Do you know what the actual moths eat?

The next bug up I'm pretty sure is a Deer Fly, also known as a Yellow-Fly. There are many subspecies and I'm not exactly sure which one it is but I'm pretty sure I'm in the right genre....

20160703_102449.jpg 20160703_102529.jpg

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/yellow_fly.htm

Larvae feed on decaying matter. Same as a black soldier fly so I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's safe. Most fly larvae eat the same thing and flies are generally non-toxic, so...

Most moths typically don't eat as their only purpose is to mate and lay eggs. For that first moth there, I mentioned what the larvae eat.
OK but since the larve eat moss, I would be worried about a chameleon eating a bug that eats moss because there's been threads about chams in serious trouble after eating moss.

OK but since the larve eat moss, I would be worried about a chameleon eating a bug that eats moss because there's been threads about chams in serious trouble after eating moss.

Please explain. Do you mean they ate sphagnum moss, which has long strands, and ended up with an intestinal blockage?

I wouldn't feed the chameleon any wild caught insects. The whole reason for gut loading is to make sure the chameleon is getting the best nutrition possible.

Deer flies eat decaying meat I think. And feces, stay away from wild caught flies.

I wouldn't feed the chameleon any wild caught insects. The whole reason for gut loading is to make sure the chameleon is getting the best nutrition possible.

I totally understand this, but you have no idea how much good can come from wild caught insects. It's the purest form of natural that you can get. It has absolutely amazing benefits for your chameleon and it also adds variety, which is also beneficial. I know there are potential risks of parasites and yada yada yada but that can also be a risk with purchasing from feeder suppliers. You just have to be careful that you are catching insects that look healthy and ones that you know to be non-toxic. I gutload very well with kale, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, apples, oranges, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, kiwi fruit, green grapes, bee pollen, honey, Cricket Crack.... (y)

A little wild caught insects in the mix adds benefits you can't get from home gutloading because the amount of things outside is endless in what the bugs can eat. It really is good for them. These wicked dragonflies for example, which are going to be great in my cham's diet because I know them all to be safe and non-toxix. (y)

Attachments

• 20160703_161230.jpg
    20160703_161230.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20160703_161356.jpg
    20160703_161356.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20160703_161511.jpg
    20160703_161511.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160703_161443.jpg
    20160703_161443.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20160703_161536.jpg
    20160703_161536.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 93
I ditched the cool fly and also a few of the moths that I'm unsure of and also the one I mentioned that eats moss. So all-in-all, I came out with 6 dragonflies and 4 different moths. I didn't post pics of everything because I was only unsure on a couple things. There were others I was unsure of but I just decided to release them because they weren't small enough for me to bother with it and only ended up keeping 4 moths and the dragonflies.

Really wanted to find some grasshoppers and I know they are out there somewhere because I saw a baby one about the length of my fingernail. That, and I used to catch them all the time out in that same field when I was younger.

20160703_131728.jpg

Was also looking for butterflies but didn't seem to find any of those either. Specifically the monarch is what I was after but they have migratory patterns and apparently they aren't around at the moment. Perhaps another time

Last edited:
I guess I can see your point. In sure chameleons can benefit from wild caught insects, especially if there isn't pesticides used in the area. At least you are getting information about the insects and not just throwing anything in the cage.

If the moths eat moss and lichen, then the chameleon eats them, this would have no ill effect on them, being the moss and lichen aren't poison. I think as stated, you were referring to intestinal blockage. Which is a different story.

I let my chameleon snatch up wild bugs when outside. It's all natural and great stimulation for them! Every instinct they have kicks in and every possible bit of stimuli is put into place! That's why offering a good amount of variety is suggested. A healthy mind, means a stress free, active chameleon!

Back
Top Bottom