Are these eggs good???

JimNPHX

Not sure which forum to post this in . . .

Well my female carpet surprised me this morning with this:

P1000744.jpg
[/IMG]

She was not being very cooperative with signals or signs telling me she was ready. Yes I had an egg laying container in her cage, but apparently she did not feel it was appropriate! As you can see, they are all spread out, with another one wedged in a branch against the screen.

Anyway, here is a pic of them and I was wondering if they are ALL obviously bad , or do the white ones look normal? I assume all the caved in ones are done for (?).

P1000747.jpg
[/IMG]

I tried my best to not rotate or change orientation while removing, at the same time they are pretty small and my first time working with them. I cannot say it went perfect . . .

Just an FYI: This was the WC gravid female I got from Chad.

I am off to HD to get the vermiculite.

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated!

Thanks

Jim

Typical of a darn woman... Give her great care... Everything she could ask for... Then makes up her mind that it is not good enough and poo's out the eggs everywhere ;) haha... All but the 3 look good Jim! Still try to cook the 3... Maybe they will plump up, but they are sunk alot! Awesome that more carpet eggs are in the group... Now the hard part... Getting them to hatch! :D

Typical of a darn woman... Give her great care... Everything she could ask for... Then makes up her mind that it is not good enough and poo's out the eggs everywhere ;) haha... All but the 3 look good Jim! Still try to cook the 3... Maybe they will plump up, but they are sunk alot! Awesome that more carpet eggs are in the group... Now the hard part... Getting them to hatch! :D

Thanks Chad! What ever you do, don't tell anyone here about how I called you this morning to discuss why she hasn't laid yet, BEFORE I saw the eggs at the bottom of the cage! :eek:

Phone conversation:

Jim - Hey Chad (blah blah blah), oh by the way my female still has not laid her eggs.
Chad - Well, there could be a lot of reasons . . (Blah blah blah)
Jim interrupts!
Jim - (embarrassingly) Uh never mind . . . there are eggs all over the floor of her cage . . .
Chad - (long silence as he decides whether to call me a dumb a**!) <-- just kidding about that part . . . right Chad? Chad? Chad?

Phone conversation:

Jim - Hey Chad (blah blah blah), oh by the way my female still has not laid her eggs.
Chad - Well, there could be a lot of reasons . . (Blah blah blah)
Jim interrupts!
Jim - (embarrassingly) Uh never mind . . . there are eggs all over the floor of her cage . . .
Chad - (long silence as he decides whether to call me a dumb a**!) <-- just kidding about that part . . . right Chad? Chad? Chad?

Let's not forget the email where I said she didn't look chubby enough to be gravid. :eek: Oops.

I can't say whether the eggs are fertile or not from a pic. Incubate them anyways, you'll find out soon enough.

Good luck!
Trace

They definitely look fertile to me...but whether its too late for them is another thing. They won't wait for you to go to the store to get vermiculite.

I would put them in a deli cup or other container half filled with moist sand or soil or some moist substrate with two tiny holes punched in the lid in a place with the proper temperature until you get back with the vermiculite.

The store was 5 minutes away and the eggs are already in their container. I am just getting the "incubator" piece worked out.

Thanks

Jim

Hope you got them set up in time!
Carpet chameleons have a reputation for dropping their eggs instead of burying them.

Hope you got them set up in time!
Carpet chameleons have a reputation for dropping their eggs instead of burying them.

Thank you

Yes, I do not like learning like this but I will know better next time. Chad said she more than likely laid them this morning. If so we are talking about 2-3 hrs (hopefully) from laying to in a container.

Jim

Only time will tell if the eggs will be okay.

Re: not wanting to learn like this...welcome to the world of chameleons! Even when you think you have it down pat something will happen that wakes you up to how little you really know! I've been keeping them for over 20 years and still get surprised by some of the things that happen!

Back
Top Bottom