Are there any

Uvagohoos

Hello My best friend Tyler has loved my Veiled Chameleon Melly and is dying to get one but unfortunately he can't afford to have a cage taller than 2 feet in his room. He was wondering if there are any chameleons that can live in a two foot tall cage when full grown. He also wants it to be able to change colors for some reason

Carpet chameleons are small. So are Pygmys. But honestly, there are more expenses to a cham than just the cage. If your friend can't afford a large cage, how will he be able to afford other things, like food lighting, ect...? Also most chameleons can change color, just not in the way a lot of people think. No matter how hard you look, you will never find a chameleon who can turn from orange to purple depending on what they are sitting on.

I thought both needed cages that were three feet tall

You're right. My brain naturally translated as 4'. Same way the nurse on here once said she gave her cham Oxycontin, while meaning Oxytocin. :eek: Pygmies, Carpets, Madagascar Day Geckos, Tokays are all pretty.

Hello My best friend Tyler has loved my Veiled Chameleon Melly and is dying to get one but unfortunately he can't afford to have a cage taller than 2 feet in his room. He was wondering if there are any chameleons that can live in a two foot tall cage when full grown. He also wants it to be able to change colors for some reason

I wouldn't put any of the more arboreal species in a 2' tall cage. That leaves the pygmy leaf species...and they don't show a lot of dramatic color change. I'f he's "dying" to get a cham he either needs to find a way to convince his parents that a decent humane cage must be larger than that, he needs to settle on a herp that suits his current home, or he needs to move into his own home.

I wouldn't put any of the more arboreal species in a 2' tall cage. That leaves the pygmy leaf species...and they don't show a lot of dramatic color change. I'f he's "dying" to get a cham he either needs to find a way to convince his parents that a decent humane cage must be larger than that, he needs to settle on a herp that suits his current home, or he needs to move into his own home.

I agree with what everyone else says about the 2' cage... Not really good for any arboreal species.

I also wanted to add that pygmy chameleons are better kept in a vented glass tank, like the ExoTerra tanks, unlike any other type of chameleon. This is because they need high humidity. I wasn't aware of that until I started researching pygmies, so I thought I'd share .

I agree with what everyone else says about the 2' cage... Not really good for any arboreal species.

I also wanted to add that pygmy chameleons are better kept in a vented glass tank, like the ExoTerra tanks, unlike any other type of chameleon. This is because they need high humidity. I wasn't aware of that until I started researching pygmies, so I thought I'd share .

IMHO, a better description of the conditions pygmy chams can handle would be something like stable, consistently higher humidity conditions that are offered by a vented glass tank setup. Some arboreal chams also need high humidity, but also need more of a thermal gradient, higher light and UV levels, and more air exchange than pygmies do. It makes sense, as in the wild pygmies would be found in the lower more sheltered understory habitat that doesn't fluctuate as much as taller brush and trees do.

Back
Top Bottom