Are superworms okay for young chams?

Prince of Duval

Avid Member
I just got some superworms in today for my 3.5 month old panther. I’m only planning to use them as occasional treats to help with building trust. However, they seem humongous compared to the 1/4” crickets and roach nymphs he’s currently eating as staple feeders. I just want to be sure they are okay for him at this age. Also, any basic info you can give me on the the superworms to save me some time researching would be helpful: how long can I keep them before they start pupating, can I refrigerate to slow this down or is that too cold, should I transfer them to a larger container, ect. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 88
they are better than "meal worms" because they have a thinner shell. Most places only sell "adult" supers, but if you can fine ones that sell "small" go for it. But the worm needs to be as short or shorter than the chams head. just like a good cricket size should fit between their eye balls.

they are better than "meal worms" because they have a thinner shell. Most places only sell "adult" supers, but if you can fine ones that sell "small" go for it. But the worm needs to be as short or shorter than the chams head. just like a good cricket size should fit between their eye balls.
Yeah, they seem to be “adult” sized and definitely bigger than his head which is why I was concerned. Is the size a concern because it could be a choking hazard or that it could be difficult to digest? Something else?

Yeah, they seem to be “adult” sized and definitely bigger than his head which is why I was concerned. Is the size a concern because it could be a choking hazard or that it could be difficult to digest? Something else?
I had the same problem. Mine seemed to swallow it completely whole because he wasn’t strong enough to chew it more, so I’m trying to feed him less of those and try wax worms instead because they are shorter.

Choking hazard is the main concern for the between the eyes guidance. And some of those superworms will fight back if they don't eat the head first.

Few notes on keeping superworms:
- As long as you have more than 1, they won't pupate. Supers only pupate in isolation.
- Supers live a long time (months) so just hold onto them until your cham is old enough to eat them.
- Supers are cannibals and will eat each other if you don't provide them food.
- I keep mine at room temp and haven't had any issues.

Here is a video of me getting freaked out unboxing 500 supers for your entertainment haha plus I show how I keep my supers.

Back
Top Bottom