Are Panthers Worth the Extra Money?

PhxKarma

Strongly considering getting a male panther, instead of a male veiled, I love the coloration and am not sure if I should shell out the extra cash for one or not.

It's all personal choice, if you like the color and have the money that you know you can spend and still have money leftover for a "just in case" vet visit, then sure.

Panthers are definetely worth the extra money. They have awesome personalities and their colors are unique. Start with a young one and watch it blossom. It's Unbelievable :D

It is personal choice....take a look through some of the members gallery pics or the sponsors websites and see what resonates with you the most.

There are stunning pics of both types.

There is no difference in their personalities and temperament.....some panthers are nasty, some veileds are nasty, some panthers are more tolerant of us humans and the same goes with veileds. Its the luck of the draw unless you are getting a slightly older one that has already developed his personality. (Miss Lily and Tommy come to mind) :)

As Syn has said just make sure you have money left over for a surprise vet visit and supplies.

I did, and I don't regret a thing! Bert, purchase price-wise, was my most expensive pet to date and I really enjoy taking care of him. Although, I don't doubt that the same would go for a Veiled, as well!

Good luck :)

The prices of Panthers has really come down-sothe price difference in a really nice Veiled and a Panther is not so great!

You can get some unique veildes now. Not so long ago translucent veileds were very pricy and now they are affordable. They are excellent looking chameleons. You can also get the high orange or high yellow veileds that show extreme color. Panthers are great as well. I enjoy all the different locales and different colors. Most likely you will end up getting many different chameleons.

Strongly considering getting a male panther, instead of a male veiled, I love the coloration and am not sure if I should shell out the extra cash for one or not.

Only you can say if it is worth it to you. Its really not a very big difference in cost, considering how much the animal is going to cost over the long term with the enclosure, the lights, the gutloading and supplements, the vet bills.

It completely depends on you. Panthers are usually a little more docile and don't get as aggressive but veilds are great to. I personally like panthers just because you can watch the color changes which can be drastic in pretty short time periods.

I have never owned a veiled, but I am extremely happy with my panther! If you look around you can find some pretty good deals on panthers, also depending on where you live (for shipping costs). I know kingsnake.com and fauna classifieds have a lot of chameleons for sale, as well as the classifieds and site sponsors on here! Just make sure you are buying your chameleon (veiled or panther) from a good breeder. Its better to pay more up front and know you're getting a healthy cham than going cheap and pay for it in the long run!

It completely depends on you. Panthers are usually a little more docile and don't get as aggressive but veilds are great to. I personally like panthers just because you can watch the color changes which can be drastic in pretty short time periods.

Sorry but i dont see how panthers are more docile than veilds. Ive seen both species get pretty nasty.

I have both, and I love them both, but Veileds will always be my favorite. My veiled was quick to hand feed and is a stand up and fight man, but he's a sweety after you get him outta the cage. My female panther was not quick to (and still will not) hand feeding and runs away from my hand. She's fine with me watching her though, and she is super tiny compared to my male veiled even though she is a month or two older than him. He's easily twice her body length. Veileds are also generally larger than panthers in general so their size difference is to be expected, especially since she's female as well.

Temperaments are basically random with babies. As adults you pretty much know what they're like, so if you want a nice chameleon, buy an adult that already has a pretty established personality.

Of course the choice is up to you.

Thats just in general it depends on the owner and the chameleon.

Panthers are more docile in general? I don't really get where your coming from. I have yet to seen proof that panthers are more docile than veilds. You are right about the owner of the cham though, that has a lot to do with its temperament.

It is random. I have in total 15 panthers and some are super friendly and some are super vicious. I don't handle my chams often at all, except for health checks so that can have something to do with it. I have tried to tame some of the super super vicious one to no avail. Some will change personalities randomly also. I got an older panther, 11m0, recently who was hellbent on getting ahold of me and swallowing me whole and one I introduced him to eating mantis he is super nice. I let the mantis run around on my shoulder/head and he will run out on to me and chase after them. He is now even becoming nice when food isn't around. It does help to have them from babies sometime but even that isn't a sure fire thing. I got one at 3 months old and he still hates me 5 months later. I personally haven't had a veiled myself but have looked after them for months at a time for a friend and both of his were super friendly and loved people. It's just luck of the draw. I personally prefer panthers just because I love the extreme colors they can show and the wide variety in them. they can show any different color you want if you buy the right locale as a veiled, while very colorful in their own right as shown by many member of the forum, cannot turn completely orange or completely red or be fully blue or go from lime green and red to yellow and blue. Plus it is amazing seeing them go from a little grey/brown blob to looking like you're on an acid trip. Good luck with your choice, either way its a win win with any chameleon.

Justin

Thanks for the replies, visually I love the Panthers and I have heard from many that they do tend to be more docile, but I know it's random. I don't plan on handling the chameleon ever unless it's absolutely necessart (injury, redesign cage, etc)

I found a few people selling Panthers for under $200 shipped, but now that I have seen those transulcent veileds it's a tougher choice.

Back
Top Bottom