Are Orchids safe to use with Veileds?

Curiously I saw the same type of display this morning at Lowes. And it's indoors.
I've had decent luck at my local Lowe's. Just inspect the orchid and dont buy the "bagged" variety like in your photo. Check to see if the plant has any new growth, check root color and leaf color. I've gotten a few "dead" orchids on clearance that I've had long enough to split into 2 plants.

I don't put orchids in my cages as much as I used to... i use them to decorate the room itself. I have them hanging from the ceiling around cages and lights mostly. I do have a few in the cages, cattalya tend to do best for me. Just be sure to keep them free of standing water and watch for leaf color. [Bright green is good, dark green is ok, yellow is bad, brown is dead] If you orchid starts to die stick it outside... Florida nature can do wonders bringing back plants.

As stated, lots of orchids are sold "in bloom" with the intent that they will die. Breeders will hack the new growth to create a new plant for them and sell the blooming part. I learned this the hard way. I still don't really know as much as I should for as much as I spend on them...

So happy to read abut this thread :) I just got some to put in my enclosure. They were three for less than $7 usd ... they are under shady area with no misting above so hopefully they last a while
AB86C1CA-725D-4614-879E-1D5B217707EB.jpeg
FA57C979-0FCC-4814-9B37-707C730D6D88.jpeg

So happy to read abut this thread :) I just got some to put in my enclosure. They were three for less than $7 usd ... they are under shady area with no misting above so hopefully they last a while
View attachment 256233View attachment 256234

Orchids need watered every single day. Are you going to manually water them?

This is why they are sold with the intent of dying. They need watered everyday, some two three times a day, depending on species and your House/Media. You can water some less, but it is heavily dependent on Media, and house variations.

Shade =/= Orchid, I know that's how they had them in his garden center, but litteraly a simple Google search will show you that is far from reality.

Orchids are High Water, High Light, High Maintence plants. (Most the ones we can obtain anyway)

Assuming you have a Vanda. Here is a quick easy Vanda care guide, so you don't have to watch the video.

"Care of Vanda Orchids As a warm climate plant, Vanda orchid plants require temperatures no lower than 55 F. (13 C.) and no higher than 95 F. (35 C.).

Lighting is crucial, but first you have to determine what type of Vanda you have. There are strap-leaved, terete and semi-terete. The first variety is self explanatory, but terete has a round pencil-shaped leaf. Semi-terete is somewhere in between. Terete varieties need bright light and high sun. Strap leaves need partial shade and protection from bright midday light.

Water the orchids enough to keep them moist but not soggy. Soggy plants tend to rot. You can prevent this by using a chunky bark medium or other gritty soil that doesn’t hold onto moisture.

Vanda orchid plants need 80 percent humidity, which may have to be provided by a humidifier or spritzing the air. Repot every three to five years in spring. Fertilize during the growing season. Feed once a week with a one-quarter dilution of balanced fertilizer as part of good care of Vanda orchids."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Vanda Orchid Info: How To Grow Vanda Orchids In The Home https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/orchids/vanda-orchid-care.htm

Partial shade BTW is decieving in instances like this. Partial shade outdoors is anywhere from 40k-60k lumens. Which is a great deal more than your cage. The reason they say partial shade on those leaves, is to prevent burns, you are not burning with your lights.

If it's not soil and it appears not, it needs to be mounted. That doesn't mean hanging freely in your cage. It's hard to tell what's going on in the pic, just saying in case. As to OP too.

If you want to mount, you need a piece of cork or something. You need to wrap the roots around it as gently as you can, and fasten them down with some moss and some Wire, or nylon panty house works really good or fishing line. Don't overdo the moss, just a tiny bit, on top of the green root shoots. Eventually the plant will embed its roots around and into the cork, though it can take time. Just like the guide said, orchids want their roots moist with lots of airflow.

I would also cut that flower now. It's pretty, it's also taking alot of the plants energy to keep it alive, energy the plant should be using to adjust to it's new environment. If you are very careful mounting (if you need to) and don't shock it too much it should get a new one in a few months.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom