Are Dubia roaches illegal to sell in America?

Kizmit910

I know this may sound like a silly question, but a pet store employee told me today that it is illegal to sell them in the U.S. I have never bought them as of yet, and was thinking I would get some today because in reading all about the different types of food and the nutritional value of them they seemed like a great choice for treats for her. I just can’t imagine that this could be true due to the amount of articles about them that I have read and also the amount of threads I have read regarding how much other chameleon owners feed this type of roach to theirs. I am just wondering if this person was perhaps misinformed or if this in fact true.
Thank you kindly.

um don't ever ask that pet store employee anything again lol. Nope not illegal at all here. :) here is a list of our site sponsors. Alot of them sell Dubia along with other feeders. Here is a feeder and gutload sheet as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/?tag=food

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

I mostly feed crickets, but my veiled chameleon absolutely loves dubias. I need to grab them more often for variety. Highly recommended and they're easy to care for, but in my experience more expensive than crickets which I get 1,000 at a time.Growing a dubia colony would be a really good idea.

So I think(the laws are murky, to my understanding at least) one is supposed to have a permit for most exotic species of insect. I don't believe it is really enfored, but if they wanted they could shut it down. Many people have inverts that are supposed to require permits. I just don't think they care with things that aren't really a threat. Locusts on the other hand might get you in trouble. Some invert people told me about this, I don't really understand it still.

Maybe dubia don't fall under this, I really don't know for certain. Point is, this employee might technically be right.

Thank you for the reply. I ended up googling it earlier and it is actually illegal to sell them where I live, here in Florida. So he was actually right. I should have just asked him why they were illegal but I was in a real hurry.
I really appreciate your help.

I know this may sound like a silly question, but a pet store employee told me today that it is illegal to sell them in the U.S. I have never bought them as of yet, and was thinking I would get some today because in reading all about the different types of food and the nutritional value of them they seemed like a great choice for treats for her. I just can’t imagine that this could be true due to the amount of articles about them that I have read and also the amount of threads I have read regarding how much other chameleon owners feed this type of roach to theirs. I am just wondering if this person was perhaps misinformed or if this in fact true.
Thank you kindly.

Thank you for the reply. I ended up googling it earlier and it is actually illegal to sell them where I live, here in Florida. So he was actually right. I should have just asked him why they were illegal but I was in a real hurry.
I really appreciate your help.
@Kizmit910 Discoid roaches are Florida legal and there’s several places on line to get them. Forum sponsor The Critter Depot sells them.

Anybody have the courage to mail us Florida - folk some dubias?! We have invasive iguanas, chameleons and giant snakes... how much damage could some roaches do? ‍
But seriously, help a brother out with the dubia connection?!

Anybody have the courage to mail us Florida - folk some dubias?! We have invasive iguanas, chameleons and giant snakes... how much damage could some roaches do? ‍

I think it's not so much that theyll do damage, as it is that non native species probably shouldnt be continually introduced to your state lol. We have 'X' so let's just let it all in is probably not a great strategy haha. Also, it's more of courage from the buyer, the receiver is the one likely to get in trouble from what I hear.

just get one of the 30-40 other roaches you can have. Discoids i hear is a Floridian fan favorite. They are 90% dubias, just a little bigger, and a little slower breeding.

just get one of the 30-40 other roaches you can have. Discoids i hear is a Floridian fan favorite. They are 90% dubias, just a little bigger, and a little slower breeding.

This, also they are more active and reptiles seem to like them more. I was told that they are slower breeding because they are hybrids and not true blaberus discoidalis. I recently got some "banana bay" discoids that are supposed to be legit. Apparently they breed much faster. I have 2 separate colonies, going to test that.

Back
Top Bottom