Are Chams Instinctively Potty Trained?

rcutchens

OK - as many of you know I'm a new chameleon keeper and it's actually a project I took on with my 11-year old son as he wanted one for his birthday.

Rico is an Ambilobe panther and he's just over three months old. We've had him for nearly two weeks now and one of the patterns I've noticed is that he relieves himself about 2 to 3 times per week, which I think it pretty normal. He eats well and his feces/urates look look good - solid with good white finish - and he's active during the day and sleeps well through the night. Everything about him seems really healthy and we're having a blast with him.

I've started to notice another pattern that could be perfectly normal and nothing to get that excited about but I just don't know. When Rico needs to "do his business" he has almost always gone down to the lower left-hand corner of his cage and done it there. All but one time and even that time he was on the left-hand side of the cage he was just apparently higher up and it landed on a plant leaf.

This tripped me out even more. I peeked in on him a couple nights ago and there he was in the lower left-hand side of the cage on the angled branch that comes up from the corner of the cage floor, his back right leg balanced off in mid-air and his tail and backside turned sideways to the right as well. I looked at him and thought, "what the heck is he doing sitting on the branch like that," and within a few seconds of asking myself the question I saw exactly what he was doing, he was relieving himself! Again, as a new cham keeper this just surprised me because to me it was like a a dog lifting his leg to go on a tree or something and I didn't expect a chameleon to do anything like this. I was so surprised by the whole thing I called my wife over to see. Needless to say she wasn't nearly as impressed as I was!

So, my question is are chameleons instinctively potty trained? What I mean by this is do other owners find that their chameleons tend to relieve themselves in the same area of their habitat or do they find their chameleons just go randomly about?

If not, and we're just getting lucky that Rico has decided to go in this area the first several times it's not a big deal as I expected we'd be cleaning his waste from all over the cage. However, if it is common that they do this then it would make chameleons even that much more cool because it would mean that they are intelligent enough to actively try to manage their own waste. Well, at least put it in a specific area and know where that area is.

Just wanted to learn what others experiences are like.

YEP my little guy goes in the exact same place almost everytime i think he does his busness from the overhanging branch. i think it might help that i scoop out each poop when i see it. so the spots always good to go haha

my guy also sleeps in the exact same place and tends to go huntin crickets in another area. kinda makes me think they do somewhat manage their habitate

YEP my little guy goes in the exact same place almost everytime i think he does his busness from the overhanging branch. i think it might help that i scoop out each poop when i see it. so the spots always good to go haha

my guy also sleeps in the exact same place and tends to go huntin crickets in another area. kinda makes me think they do somewhat manage their habitate

That's AWESOME to know, Hoj! Like I said, I'd planned on us having to clean up all over the cage but the possibility that chameleons might actually be habitual in where they relieve themselves makes them that much cooler of a pet, in my opinion!

I've heard a lot of people say they've been told or heard that chameleons were difficult to care for and this is just another example of how that is simply not the case. I think it's like everything else in life - if you take the time learn and do some planning when you actually move forward with implementing things will be a lot smoother.

Thanks again for the post confirming you have had a similar experience with your cham!

Yeah all of mine seem to go in the same place. A lot of mine like to go in the plant pot. :)

Awesome! Another affirmative on the regular spot theory! Thanks, sommoner12.

I know it sounds silly that somoene would be so excited to learn this but for a new chameleon keeper like myself this is just like an added bonus to know that they tend do in the same spot! Makes the idea of keeping them in terms of having to clean-up the cage that much easier.

Many chameleons, like a lot of animals that patrol a distinct territory will usually eliminate in the same spot. They are known as latrine animals. Makes husbandry easier!

My male always does his in the same spot - in the back left corner behind a plant pot. I put paper towels down behind there now so I only have to pull that out rather than try and reach round to wipe it up,lol! My female is not quite so fussy - she'll just let one go wherever she feels like it!:rolleyes: Mine cock a leg too when they 'go' - it's so funny!

i have also heard alot about how hard chaleleons are hard to raise and that they require alot of work. I find that this is somewhat true but i would not say that they are any harder than properly taking care of any other pet. A dog for example requires daliy watering and feeding as well as regular exercise,training, and and individual attention. i have a 130lb rottweilier and she requires just as much if not more work than my chameleon to live a happy healthly life. (not to mention the cost to feed my furry beast)

Not nearly as hard to raise a dog.

i have also heard alot about how hard chaleleons are hard to raise and that they require alot of work. I find that this is somewhat true but i would not say that they are any harder than properly taking care of any other pet. A dog for example requires daliy watering and feeding as well as regular exercise,training, and and individual attention. i have a 130lb rottweilier and she requires just as much if not more work than my chameleon to live a happy healthly life. (not to mention the cost to feed my furry beast)
it is said that chams are hard to raise due to the simple fact that lighting, supplementation, proper enclosure setups, having to gut load feeders properly, water supply, water drainage, hunger strikes, exposure to parasites, and whatever else must be done and researched to raise a happy healthy cham. As for dogs yes I know they have their share of needs also but no where near as delicate as chams. Sorry hoj but I just dont want any new members to come on this forum (which there have been alot lately) and read your post and think chameleon care can be taken lightly. Although i dont want to discourage new members with blunt facts, its just always something that needs to be acknowledged. back on topic, my jacksons always climbs to the lowest vine in his enclosure to relieve himself every morning. Also my bearded dragon always uses the same spot too but is a little more messy about it.

Many chameleons, like a lot of animals that patrol a distinct territory will usually eliminate in the same spot. They are known as latrine animals. Makes husbandry easier!

That makes a lot of sense and I agree with you, frankpayne32, makes husbandry a lot easier!

My male always does his in the same spot - in the back left corner behind a plant pot. I put paper towels down behind there now so I only have to pull that out rather than try and reach round to wipe it up,lol! My female is not quite so fussy - she'll just let one go wherever she feels like it!:rolleyes: Mine cock a leg too when they 'go' - it's so funny!

If I was able to confirm that what I thought I was seeing was in fact true, that Rico will likely try to go in the same area, I was planning on doing the same thing that you mention you do, Miss Lily, and put paper towels down in that area of the cage so clean-up should generally be easy!

Haaa! You have one that cocks his leg up too?!?!? That's hysterical - I don't know why and I'm not making fun of the little dude but I just think it's funny! :D :D :D

I agree with you, Hoj. They are a responsibility no matter what kind of pet you decide to care for and chameleons are no different.

it is said that chams are hard to raise due to the simple fact that lighting, supplementation, proper enclosure setups, having to gut load feeders properly, water supply, water drainage, hunger strikes, exposure to parasites, and whatever else must be done and researched to raise a happy healthy cham. As for dogs yes I know they have their share of needs also but no where near as delicate as chams. Sorry hoj but I just dont want any new members to come on this forum (which there have been alot lately) and read your post and think chameleon care can be taken lightly. Although i dont want to discourage new members with blunt facts, its just always something that needs to be acknowledged. back on topic, my jacksons always climbs to the lowest vine in his enclosure to relieve himself every morning. Also my bearded dragon always uses the same spot too but is a little more messy about it.

When you list it out like that it does make it sound like a lot, I agree, Makik. Still, a lot of it just comes down to planning, setting up correctly and getting into good habits.

One thing that I was suprised to find is that no only have a become a chameleon keeper but I've also become a cricket keeper! By that I mean I also focus quite a bit on taking care of the feeder crickets we use - cleaning their container regularly and changing the food and water supply, etc. I'm just about as concerned with keeping their environment clean and them healthy as I am with Rico. (I mean, almost, a few dead crickets can't seem to be avoided but I couldn't tolerate a dead Rico! Bite my tongue for even typing such a thing!)

It all comes down to responsibility and knowing what you're getting into and if you have things setup correctly it really doesn't take that much time to properly tend to the crickets or the chameleon on a daily basis in my opion.

I still don't know what we're going to do when we have to go out of town yet though. Need to find an equally responsible person and have them come over to care for Rico and his crickets, of course.

If I was able to confirm that what I thought I was seeing was in fact true, that Rico will likely try to go in the same area, I was planning on doing the same thing that you mention you do, Miss Lily, and put paper towels down in that area of the cage so clean-up should generally be easy!

Haaa! You have one that cocks his leg up too?!?!? That's hysterical - I don't know why and I'm not making fun of the little dude but I just think it's funny! :D :D :D

My female does it too, lol! Have you also noticed that when they are finished they drag their vents across the branch to clean themselves? Now that IS funny!:D Both mine also beg to be let out when they've dropped one! You can see the looks on their faces like they are saying 'Mum! It stinks in here - come and clean it up!':D:D

My female does it too, lol! Have you also noticed that when they are finished they drag their vents across the branch to clean themselves? Now that IS funny!:D Both mine also beg to be let out when they've dropped one! You can see the looks on their faces like they are saying 'Mum! It stinks in here - come and clean it up!':D:D

I didn't notice that but it would make sense and I'll keep closer eye on Rico next time he's at it! He'll love the extra attention while he's doing his thing, I'm sure! Cool little critters though!

One thing that I was suprised to find is that no only have a become a chameleon keeper but I've also become a cricket keeper! By that I mean I also focus quite a bit on taking care of the feeder crickets we use - cleaning their container regularly and changing the food and water supply, etc. I'm just about as concerned with keeping their environment clean and them healthy as I am with Rico. (I mean, almost, a few dead crickets can't seem to be avoided but I couldn't tolerate a dead Rico! Bite my tongue for even typing such a thing!)

I found this to be true as well. Once you start shelling out money for food especially to keep a variety as is best, you will find that breeding your own bugs can become a bit of an obsession. Get some dubias! Easier to keep and they live 5 years. Then try raising some silkworms. You will soon get the "bug" to grow your own. If you need to talk your wife into keeping roaches, I have already been there and may be able to help stating your case:D

ya i have to totally agree about the crickets they are another pet all together a totally new experience for me, but thats part of the fun i guess

My veiled and jacksons pretty much always go in the same place. My pygs like to smear it up against the glass of their viv, but my panther will not go in his cage unless he absolutely has to! I know when he has to go because he'll be eagerly trying to get my attention (more than usual) to be let out. And every time within 5 minutes of taking him out he'll go! I just hold him over the trash can and there's no mess at all!

Lol! Now thats what I call potty trained. Ferret, has he ever home in your hand? I have friends ask me that when I ask if they wanna hold my guys.

Back
Top Bottom