Are all water crystals the same?

I have about a pound of polymer water crystals I got a few years ago, on ebay I think. I got them to replace the foam in my cigar humidifier, but only used a tiny amount for that. I was wondering if it would be safe to use these for crickets and dubias. If I recall, they were marketed for craft purposes, gardening, etc. I don't recall if they mentioned insect hydration (or cigars for that matter!). Are there any varieties that are unsafe to use for this purpose?

I noticed, for example, on watergelcrystals.com they sell a specific variety for insects, but also list insect hydration as one of the uses for their "regular" water crystals. The main variation seems to be the size of the granules.

So, are they all the same, or are there some brands or kinds that are not appropriate for insect hydration? It would be nice to put some of my leftover crystals to good use.

BTW, I would also use oranges and vegetables for hydration when my first batch of dubias arrive. I just wanted to keep some of the crystals in the enclosure as a backup to make sure they are never without a source of hydration.

Good question. I know that many people recommended that I get the kind for gardening to use with my colony... They just told me to avoid any that had fertilizer in them. I am not sure if there are other differences.

That makes sense. I'm pretty sure mine have no additives. They came as completely dehydrated crystals. For my cigars, I hydrate them with distilled water. I'd use the RO water I use for my mister and dripper for the feeders. I just wasn't sure if there was more than one kind of polymer these crystals are made of, and if so, if there were only certain kinds that were ok to use for insects.

I believe they are the same thing. Even though it says not for consumption by humans or animals it said you can use them for feeder insects from the place I got it from. I have had no problems so far.

IMG_2357.JPG

Flukers brand cricket quencher.

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

Back
Top Bottom