Aqualungs's New and First setup..

aqualungs

First, I am glad I found this site! I have been learning and researching a lot. I have experience with other reptiles, but have always wanted a chameleon. My favorite was my Dessert Iguana, Stimpy, who became egg bound and passed away back in my high school years. She was very sweet and personable, and loved to be around people. I also did saltwater reef tanks for a while, so I feel this brings me to a nice happy medium between the two.

I am torn on what to get, but I do know it will be a male. I am also unsure what age to look for? Any breeders are welcome to send me a reply!! I will not buy from any pet shops around here..

Veiled - Pros - Omnivorous & cost. Vibrant colors. Cons - May be the most temperamental.

Panther - pros - BEAUTIFUL. More docile. Cons - $$$$

Jacksons - pros - My favorite and that's probably due to looks. Cost. Cons - Mostly wild caught. Humidity/Temp sensitive.

In the meantime while I research more and weigh my options, I am starting my shopping list and setup. I want to get the fauna growing, check temps, and see what I can do with the humidity. I think that will be the main deciding factor, because I am leaning mostly towards a Jacksons. I know they are more difficult, but if I can provide their needs humidity wise, then that is where I would like to head.

Starter cage
-Reptibreeze 16 x 16 x 30 vs 18 x 18 x 36 (Planning on building or upgrading later.)
-ZooMed Repitsun 15" T5HO 5.0 / 50-60 watt dome bask light
-Cork Background/Vines/Ficus, Pothos, and other natural plants.
-Little Dripper
-Cool Mist Humidifier DIY with Tube and PVC spray bar and timer.

I live in NE Ohio and we have AC. The house basically stays 71-74 all year round. I use a dehumidifier in the basement, its at 30% now being winter, and gets 45-50% in the summer. I work from home in a very quiet environment and my office stays very cool at the north end of the house about 70-72. I also have doors to close off my office to keep my 3 daschunds and cat from entering the room if necessary. I think my office would be a great place for my viewing pleasure as well as keeping him socialized. I plan on having plants in the room when/if decides wants to leave his cage.

I will use a Cool Mist with a DIY PVC spray bar and timer to dump a mist over one side of the top of the cage. the other side will have the T5 and basking light. Between this, a little dripper, and misting the cage, I think this setup will work well... I read to start in a smaller cage and then go bigger. I plan on getting a bigger setup later. We eat a lot of fruits and vegetables in this house and they are always available, so I definitely plan to raise a few different species of food. I am researching which types are easy, can be raised in compact settings, and ones that do not to stink too bad, lol.

So here I am, any suggestions would be awesome!
-Marty

I found the Chameleon Kit at Petco for 77$ I'm wondering if this would be a good start, but I'm not sure how quick he would outgrow the cage Should I just get the 18x18?

I had my 16x16x30 for about 3 months. Once my veiled got to 12inches snout to tail he had to get a larger home. Then went to the 24x24x48 and he loves it.

I had my 16x16x30 for about 3 months. Once my veiled got to 12inches snout to tail he had to get a larger home. Then went to the 24x24x48 and he loves it.

Thanks! I'm going with the DIY 18 x 18 x 36 and I am planning on getting a Jacksons. Also doing a 24 watt 5.0 bulb.

Going to a plant and orchid show Saturday with my wife. Planning on getting a ficus or umbrella plant.

This is a 3 1/2 ft shefflera. My cham absolutely loves it. 12$ at lowes :)

Attachments

• 20160204_063347.jpg
    20160204_063347.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 258
This is a 3 1/2 ft shefflera. My cham absolutely loves it. 12$ at lowes :)

Perfect. I was going to look at Lowes, thanks! Looks like I decided on a Panther, also. I will save the Jacksons when I get a little more experience.

Marty,

Glad you found us. Tons of info to be had here and lots of knowledgeable folks to help you out. You might take a look at the cham care resources button at the top of the home page and take a look at this link for panther chams.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Tons of folks here with panther chams. We should be able to point you in the right direction to be successful with your new cham. Hope to hear from you soon.

http://dragonstrand.com/product/large-breeder-cage/

Ordered my cage today. Decided on a Dragon Stand. I started looking at DIYcages.com and others over the reptibreeze, and then somehow ended going from paying 65 & to a little over $200. Oops. I like the added PVC walls for humidity and ease of branch and vine hanging. I was going to get the medium tall but Bill recommended this one because I won't have to buy another cage at six months. I'm sure with the other cages I'd be eventually wrapping them with a shower curtain. The wife wouldn't be so keen, and I figured this is going in my office and mine as well look nice. It also offers future benefits if I get really wrapped up in the hobby with breeding which is possible.

I was lucky enough to get the last male panther from Turner1986, who happens to be a 45 min drive. :)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/nosy-be-ambilobe-panther-babys-all-sold.142612/

PS I have no intentions of breeding this guy, or any breeding at this time, and I imagine he'd be considered a hybrid and not for breeding. I intend to bond to this little guy, learn and care for all his needs. Now I just have to wait for my equipment and thanks to Turner1986 for being nice enough to hold him while I take the time to get everything set up. Especially nice for being the newbie on the site.

Went to Lowes and got a nice pothos. Had to go to the garden store for others, but I found a nice 2ft ficus and umbrella plant. I washed all of them real good in a tub of soapy water and then did the same in rinse water. Removed as much of the old soil as I could, and repotted them. I can't find any info but can you use neem once in while on the leaves if the plant is taken out and the. Rinsed?

Just waiting on the cage and supplies.

Well I got notice today the Panther I was picking up friday, is lost or stolen... I haven't told my wife yet, as she will be crushed. We went to the Orchid show last week and they brought out a beautiful Panther on a tree, and she fell in love. She was already hooked from pictures and videos. She was going to kill me when I told her I bought one, until she found out he was a panther and only $50, but that is null and void now. I am in contact with a breeder and of course I won't get that price, but I'm negotiating, so I won't be a dead men. If this falls trough I may consider a Jackson, or I will have an expensive plant terrarium for a time being..

If it does fall through I think the set up the way you described it will work fine for a Jackson. It pretty much how mine is set up. They are a little more delicate then say a veiled, or panther. But once you get them acclimated to their new surroundings they do quite well. You seem to me to be someone who can handle it just fine. Good luck:)

Hi there, welcome to our wonderful forum! When you have one, post a piture of your chameleon as our profile picture! It is worth points here and the more points you collect the more privileges you get on the forum!

Cage is all set up. I didn't fully appreciate my Investment in the Dragonstrand Hybrid until now... For starters with just the plants and no misting the humidity is a solid 40% and after a misting 70%. Also setting up the branches was a breeze using small white zip ties and the Included Dragon Shelves. It actually left me wanting more shelves to mount more levels of branches. Altogether very happy and I'm sure this little guy will be happy too.
Since the cage had an open bottom and a solid Drop in pvc floor, I used 100% silicone to bond and seal the bottom edges to the wall to keep water from dripping out. With the weight of the plant pots the water is forced to the middle of the floor, which is perfect for adding a drain hole and a Mist King later. Now some photos.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 193
Much thanks to Matt and his family at Vanilla Gorilla at Nuts over Chameleons: Mount Shasta Panthers, for his time and devotion to getting to know where his babies are going and who they're going to. It was nice getting to know someone as a person and not just a breeder. My wife and I had a hard time picking through photos, but we finally chose and named him Boba! We will see if the weather cooperates for his arrival.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 191
Pretty exciting day today! We had a warm weather break in Ohio, so Boba arrived around 10 am today. After carefully opening the box, and the lid to his container I put him near a branch and waited but he didn't move. So then I put my finger out and the cute little guy reached out and climbed aboard. As much as I wanted to let him rest in my hand for 5 min to an hour, I guided him towards a branch and he crawled towards his new basking spot.
I let him settle in for a bit and drink some water that I premisted before opening the box. An hour later I fed him. He ate 3 crickets. I fed him again 2 more times a little later. Total he ate 10 crickets and 3 Phoenix worms. He was peeking at me while I was working from under a plant afterwards. He's a little uncertain still, but he is settling in good. Katie worked til 9 pm so she was upset she didn't get to see him, but for me working from home, we spent all day together. I even put on nature sounds for him. I think it calmed both of us! Now some photos!

Back
Top Bottom