Anyone's Chams shed simultaneously?

KevinA

Avid Member
I thought it was odd, but all 3 of my chameleons shed within 24 hours of each other. None are related and they are all different ages. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have noticed that two of mine shed at the same time. now that i think about it, i think it's mostly around the same time they shed. Hmm. that's odd.

Yes, we've had it happen here, too, among different species of chams, housed in separate rooms even. It happened this fall. I assumed it was either coincidental or that there is some sort of seasonal trigger involved (which seems odd, since they shed according to growth, as far as I know). But then, many of our chams here are about the same age, so, it would stand to reason that they would be growing and shedding on about the same schedule. Are your 3 chams the same age?

I've also experienced this. I think it may have to do with the amount of food I give my chams. It seems that from time to time I start overfeeding my guys, until I realize that they are getting a few extras everyday, then I back off again. By then they have had a bit of growth and simultaniously shed. Could also be the ambient temps are a touch higher or humidity slightly changed????

Does anyone else find that the amount they feed their chams creeps up from time to time without you realizing it?

I've also experienced this. I think it may have to do with the amount of food I give my chams. It seems that from time to time I start overfeeding my guys, until I realize that they are getting a few extras everyday, then I back off again. By then they have had a bit of growth and simultaniously shed. Could also be the ambient temps are a touch higher or humidity slightly changed????

Does anyone else find that the amount they feed their chams creeps up from time to time without you realizing it?

Not with my chameleon but with my Bearded Dragons. :):) It gets annoying because I just cleaned up skin and now I have to do it all over again.

I have noticed the simultaneous shed with 5 of my chameleons. I have 3 that are 2 months apart each, and 2 that are significantly younger, but even when I brought in the newest 2, they all shed at the same time! They are all around a year or younger, so I would anticipate when they all stop growing so fast the shedding might spread out a little. As far as the food creeping up, mine all have extremely healthy appetites, something I am currently re-evaluating for optimal health-especially in my females.

I have noticed the simultaneous shed with 5 of my chameleons. I have 3 that are 2 months apart each, and 2 that are significantly younger, but even when I brought in the newest 2, they all shed at the same time! They are all around a year or younger, so I would anticipate when they all stop growing so fast the shedding might spread out a little. As far as the food creeping up, mine all have extremely healthy appetites, something I am currently re-evaluating for optimal health-especially in my females.

Congratz Julirs, you have 1000 post. And thats funny, I would be mad if my Chameleons shed at the same time. At least it would be over with. :D:D

Interesting question .. and something I've wondered myself.
I've noticed that all my chams shed within a week of one another also, even though they are all different ages (tho all adults) and all acquired at different times from different sources.
Interesting to me is that they didn't start out that way, the simultaneous shed just sort of evolved over time.

My BD's do the same.

My feeling regarding this topic is that it has everything to do with environment and husbandry.
Like cows that all cycle together. Living in the same field, getting the same food and water, having the same exposure to sunlight, etc.
Like many of my guesses, I have no hard scientific evidence ... but it makes sense to me.:)

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom