Anyone worked with pond foam on large cages?

Yah my plan is to have a shelf with a few carnivourous plants it top corner opposite of basking side and then to zip tie all my branches and pots where I want them and then spray over. When you put your coco fiber on the back did you scrape the foam before sticking it on? I’ve heard it doesn’t stick to the smooth foam surface so you have to cut it

You have to cut the smooth surface of the foam. You can shape it into anything you want. Then use silicone glue to stick the coco fiber on it.

I did not go with the coco coir background just left it with the black foam look. Easier to keep clean in my opinion and other members on here would probably agree. Not saying you can’t go that route with adding coco fiber as many people have been successful doing it I’m sure. Just made sense to me that it would be easier to keep clean without the coco.
Ok or another thing I just thought of maybe just coco fiber the obvious spots you can see from front of cage and leave rest where he’ll be most the time empty as for like you said easy cleanup. But thanks for the advice I hadn’t thought of it that way before

You have to cut the smooth surface of the foam. You can shape it into anything you want. Then use silicone glue to stick the coco fiber on it.
Ok that’s what I thought, thanks everyone for all the advice if anyone has any other pics of their enclosures using pond foam I’d love to see them even the most basic.

Ok that’s what I thought, thanks everyone for all the advice if anyone has any other pics of their enclosures using pond foam I’d love to see them even the most basic.

This is mine. I made some changes to the cork bark before gluing them.

Attachments

• 20180709_221223.jpg
    20180709_221223.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20180711_223459.jpg
    20180711_223459.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 128
  • 20180718_001059.jpg
    20180718_001059.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 111
Questions for this thread -- I want to do three sides of pond foam in my large dragon strand -- do you all suggest putting the cage together, then foaming? Or foam the three sides - then assemble -- them foam in plastic pots / sticks / vines? Am I cutting too many corners wanting to foam the three sides in 1 day, and not 3?

Thanks everyone.

Questions for this thread -- I want to do three sides of pond foam in my large dragon strand -- do you all suggest putting the cage together, then foaming? Or foam the three sides - then assemble -- them foam in plastic pots / sticks / vines? Am I cutting too many corners wanting to foam the three sides in 1 day, and not 3?

Thanks everyone.

You will want to put the cage together first. It will take multiple days to foam and let dry and off gas.

This is what I did but with corrugated plastic. If I ever want to take it out just cut the wires holding it on then pull it out and still have a perfect cage.
Never thought of doing it that way that’s a great idea especially if you wanted to change things out. I’ll definitely keep this in mind if I ever decide to upgrade my cage.

Never thought of doing it that way that’s a great idea especially if you wanted to change things out. I’ll definitely keep this in mind if I ever decide to upgrade my cage.

I honestly didn’t even think of this when I started it was more of an after thought. Was using the plastic because I didn’t want to spray the screen and have it all coming out and wanted a solid surface to work with. Once I had it setup I was like hey I could pull it out and still have a perfect cage lol.

I hang the pieces from the top frame that I have drilled holes thru that correspond to holes reinforced with washers in the backing that zip tie into the cage frame. I don't have any picture with me right now.

I hang the pieces from the top frame that I have drilled holes thru that correspond to holes reinforced with washers in the backing that zip tie into the cage frame. I don't have any picture with me right now.

I just looked back in the thread and seen the pics you posted. Now I see. You just do small parts to hang the stuff on. I did my whole cage lol.

Thanks everyone.

I’m planning on two sides just so I can easily see my cham as well as keep good ventilation. I’ve only seen 3 full sides on dart frog cages although I have seen partial 3 sided foamed just left room at top and bottom of cage for air. Another thing is make sure your plants have drainage either drill a hole in the foam under them so they can drain or add some kind of tube prior to foaming

Back
Top Bottom