EXPANDING FOAM BACKGROUND

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of putting together a bio-active enclosure for my Cham and I am planning on doing an expanding foam background but I am really unsure what foam is safe to use. I’m from the UK and all the videos I’ve watched use US based products meaning per bottle they’re all £50-150 which is obviously ridiculous. Does anyone have any suggestions?

These are the ones I am currently looking at
IMG_5425.png

Attachments

• IMG_5458.png
    IMG_5458.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5459.png
    IMG_5459.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 52
Any foam for ponds would be safe. I know others have used just the regular stuff
Awesome thanks for the info :) I also ordered a few tubes of silicone too but I have just seen a video of someone having a great outcome just using foam and coating it with substrate whilst setting, have you used silicone or do you just use the foam?

I used foam boards then a wire wheel on the drill to get all the shine off and add character, then the heat gun to bond it all back together, then waterproof tile grout painted over, gives a nice look I think, then I used just normal expansion foam for affixing the pots and branches, then painted over with grout again, I’m a expat living in France, limited stuff here so had to improvise, you’ll find foam boards in wickes etc just don’t get less than 1” thinkness as you will need to wire wheel out a good bit to created a decent look, loads of videos on YouTube, I wouldn’t fancy doing it all with cans of foam if that’s your plan, would be expensive and a real pain in the butt, I personally fine it hard work to use.

If you are happy with the thickness and appearance of the foam as it is when you spray it, and you work very quickly, you can try skipping the silicone. However, I’ve always liked carving the foam down much thinner and some like creating features in the foam which would require the silicone.

I used foam boards then a wire wheel on the drill to get all the shine off and add character, then the heat gun to bond it all back together, then waterproof tile grout painted over, gives a nice look I think, then I used just normal expansion foam for affixing the pots and branches, then painted over with grout again, I’m a expat living in France, limited stuff here so had to improvise, you’ll find foam boards in wickes etc just don’t get less than 1” thinkness as you will need to wire wheel out a good bit to created a decent look, loads of videos on YouTube, I wouldn’t fancy doing it all with cans of foam if that’s your plan, would be expensive and a real pain in the butt, I personally fine it hard work to use.
This sounds awesome do you have any pictures?? I’ve already bought all the silicone and I have one can of expanding foam but I’ve set aside the money for more so I was planning on fully using the cans which I think I will be sticking with

If you are happy with the thickness and appearance of the foam as it is when you spray it, and you work very quickly, you can try skipping the silicone. However, I’ve always liked carving the foam down much thinner and some like creating features in the foam which would require the silicone.
Ahhhh awesome so if I’m happy with the look of however the foam forms I can avoid the silicone. My only fear with the silicone is I’ve seen people say it can come away overtime or can get hot and become liquidy again

This sounds awesome do you have any pictures?? I’ve already bought all the silicone and I have one can of expanding foam but I’ve set aside the money for more so I was planning on fully using the cans which I think I will be sticking with
Cool, u will be fine if you work quick and get the coir on before it cures u might only need silicone to touch up bits u miss, inevitably there will be some, mine has a rock effect finish, not in keeping I know just preference as he won’t be using it, I could have painted with acrylic but the current colour will make the plants stand out .Sometimes I think is it worth all the effort as if the plants grow like I hope under the jungle Dawn you won’t see the background again😆 I used silicon and coco coir to cover my ZIP Ties and a feeder run I made from a plastic bottle to make it look more in keeping, It worked well, I blew the excess off with a leaf blower at a distance😆 The silicon I think will be protected somewhat from the UV by the substrate u stick to it, that’s my guess.
Good luck let us know how you get on.

Cool, u will be fine if you work quick and get the coir on before it cures u might only need silicone to touch up bits u miss, inevitably there will be some, mine has a rock effect finish, not in keeping I know just preference as he won’t be using it, I could have painted with acrylic but the current colour will make the plants stand out .Sometimes I think is it worth all the effort as if the plants grow like I hope under the jungle Dawn you won’t see the background again😆 I used silicon and coco coir to cover my ZIP Ties and a feeder run I made from a plastic bottle to make it look more in keeping, It worked well, I blew the excess off with a leaf blower at a distance😆 The silicon I think will be protected somewhat from the UV by the substrate u stick to it, that’s my guess.
Good luck let us know how you get on.
Hoping to achieve that! Would prefer to get it stuck on with just the foam but been a 4ft tall enclosure I can imagine I will have to be really quick or do it as I go 🤣 I also saw a video of someone putting silicone on the back first, what is the point of this?

I bet that rock effect looks awesome! I like the look of the darker backgrounds as you said it makes the colour of the plants stand out a lot more :) I have bought some moss strips for mine too I would like to get them on the sides somewhere but I think it could be a challenge.

I have bought a jungle dawn too! I just hope the plants survive, I also have a mistking system and I’m going to ensure the plants have a way to drain the water out and down to the ground - the plants dying is something I really don’t want to happen because once the viv is ready for him it’ll be going on a stand and he’ll be about 10ft up in the air 🤣🤣

Hoping to achieve that! Would prefer to get it stuck on with just the foam but been a 4ft tall enclosure I can imagine I will have to be really quick or do it as I go 🤣 I also saw a video of someone putting silicone on the back first, what is the point of this?

I bet that rock effect looks awesome! I like the look of the darker backgrounds as you said it makes the colour of the plants stand out a lot more :) I have bought some moss strips for mine too I would like to get them on the sides somewhere but I think it could be a challenge.

I have bought a jungle dawn too! I just hope the plants survive, I also have a mistking system and I’m going to ensure the plants have a way to drain the water out and down to the ground - the plants dying is something I really don’t want to happen because once the viv is ready for him it’ll be going on a stand and he’ll be about 10ft up in the air 🤣🤣
I personally would cover as I went along, depending on weather it can skin over quickly, good drainage is key, need to let excess water out, i converted a old wardrobe, bottom and bottom sides are butyl lined, drill hole for plug and waste pipe, cupboard Underneath will hold bucket , hoping it works I’m like you making it myself and currently it’s unfinished waiting on my good lady to paint it all😆, i’m figuring my one is a prototype and as a go along I will think of ways to make amendments I’m already thinking of building an outdoor enclosure for the two hot days we get a year😆

I personally would cover as I went along, depending on weather it can skin over quickly, good drainage is key, need to let excess water out, i converted a old wardrobe, bottom and bottom sides are butyl lined, drill hole for plug and waste pipe, cupboard Underneath will hold bucket , hoping it works I’m like you making it myself and currently it’s unfinished waiting on my good lady to paint it all😆, i’m figuring my one is a prototype and as a go along I will think of ways to make amendments I’m already thinking of building an outdoor enclosure for the two hot days we get a year😆
ive just bought an enclosure from here https://chameleonworldmuji.co.uk/shop/ had incredible reviews and there set ups look awesome and prevent the need of a drainage layer :) you seem to have it all sussed out tho man it will deffo work! I’ve watched a million videos so I’m confident but I’ll cry if it goes wrong 🤣 an outdoor enclosure would be awesome and insane watch if you videoed it I beg you get that done 🤣

Back
Top Bottom