Anyone use azithromycin on their Cham?

luckykarma

Still battling this weird LRI. The doctor is stumped because we can't get a lung sample. I've been nebulizing a med for him however its not having much affect.

After a discussion this morning he said he could have azithromycin compounded and try it although he's never recommended it for Chameleons. He's has mixed results with tortoises and rats.

He said I could do research for a couple days before we decide to try it.

Anyone with experience?

I have not used it on reptiles. I do know that is commonly used as a substitute for penicillin in the event of an allergy. From what I have found, many of the antibiotics used on chams are a derivative of penicillin. I just finished 3 weeks of baytril with the last week in combination with polyflex--ampicillin. Azithromycin is a broader spectrum antibiotic than the penicillins, and works on a number of tough bugs. Forgive me, but I have not followed your threads closley, but have you used clavamox or clavaseptin?

Appears he has a nasty bug. The spectrum on fortaz is similar to the augmentin (clavamox,clavaseptin for vet use) the drugs work a little different, but works on the relatively the same bugs. You could ask about it. But it appears that zithromax may be the next step???

I used the wrong drug name. Should have been erythromycin. Anyway, the vet called it and and I'll start on it as soon as it comes in.

Erythromycin is the older version of macrolides. Azithromycin is a derivative/newer version of Erythromycin. Good Luck. Hope it works!

I should be getting it Monday. The prescribed .02ML every 5 days for 5 treatments. That's a very interesting interval. Even the pharmacy asked him to repeat that.

Dr. Stein has done a lot of research and continuously does CE. I think at one of the seminars Either Mader or someone else showed that Cham recycle meds. Meaning its not going out of their system in 24 hours. The studies showed how the meds can build up to high levels under a normal daily schedule.

We'll see.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting history. I'll keep an eye out for side effects.

Don't know of anything. I never had any luck with Reptaid on any of my chams. That's the only product I know of.

He almost acts like he severely dehydrated which the extreme opposite is true. He will sit in a bath of warm cloud of water from the humidifier for hours and then be charged up and move around but eventually come back to the stream.

I put him back on Baytril just to have something in his system until the meds arrive. He seems to gap a touch less.

Three to five days is the regular schedule. It has a high tissue absorption rate, so it is effective for longer than it is administered. I always get a kick out of the pharmacist's faces when they fill vet orders!!! My vet usually mixes his own, so I don't get to go to the pharmacy often!!

I feel like I'm on a game show. What was that old one? "What's my Line?"

Are you in the human medical field or animal field?

Human mostly!! My vet is also a good friend. We collaborate on meds and disease when we can!! It's quite astonishing to discover the similarities!!

Just read your "about me". Ok got it. Thanks for all the educational info. Aren't 99% of the meds we use on the Chams derived from human meds?

Yes. The cheaper meds are sometimes exactly the same. More expensive meds are sometimes reformulated with cheaper ingredients to, well, make them cheaper. Vet meds do not have to be FDA regulated.

Your welcome for the info. I'm just glad to be able to help out and make things a little easier!!!

O.k, I was wrong on the comment about FDA regulation. I was wrong to imply that all vet meds are not regulated, some are and some aren't. The meds used for human use are obviously FDA.

Last edited:
I know my vet mixes most of his own. I pick them up from the office. On occasion, he will call one in to the pharm, but not often. Much cheaper this way I'm sure, for me at least!! I trust he does a good job!! He hasn't let me down yet!!:D

Back
Top Bottom