Anyone have their Chams sinuses flushed?

luckykarma

Been battling a mysterious respiratory infection. Never any signs of liquid/mucus bubbles in the throat. He gaps often. Had him on 20 days of antibiotics (10 Baytril 10 Fortaz).

I'm now thinking its URI rather than LRI because I can hear wheezing through his sinuses when his mouth is closed.

Dave mentioned someone on the board had their vet flush the sinuses of their Cham. I wonder if you could give me insight into how it was done and how traumatic it was for the Cham.

Appreciate the help.

I'm going to take him in for tests. We conferred and felt this would knock it out without a painful lung swab. He said mouth swabs are useless. He used to do them all the time until he realized there's just too many variables to give a reliable test result for treatment.

He said the only option is what I alluded to which he said is very hard on the animal.

Gary , That was my Ambanja girl Martini. You will see why we named her Martini when I explain what was done.

It was more of a flushing of the lungs, at least thats how it would appear.

#3 was her name when we brought her to Dr. Greek. She had had a mucus problem that lasted a couple of months.

Dr. Greek , Swabbed out what mucus he could. Then Held her so she could not move and coerced her into opening her mouth. That was not hard to do as she was pissed. The sink was running with warm water. He held her under the faucet and basically filled her with water. Shook her a little and held her upside down to let the water drain. He did this two times.

She looked very clear , but was not happy with the procedure. She turned the blackest I have ever seen a chameleon turn. She recovered very quickly and was back to normal on my hand with in 5 min or so.

I had her on baytril and reptaid for about 7-8 days after the procedure. The mucus never returned. I must say the Baytril had more of a negative affect on her than the procedure did.

I kept her hydrated and she bounced back really well after the Baytril.

I thought that was you. This one is strange as there's no mucus in the throat but I see him swallow sometimes. It has to be from the nasal passages.

Baytril never works for this guy with respiratory issues. Fortaz has in the past but this one is bizarre. I'll call Stein tomorrow. He was out today. I hate to drive down to Greek when Stein is close.

Back
Top Bottom