Anyone do a chameleon room?

HerpZilla

I just saw a post with a free roaming melleri setup and it made me think of my friends that have created reptile rooms. Has anyone made a chameleon room geared toward 1 species? Or a couple with similar care? I can already see pros and cons. But maybe someone has worked out the cons I have in my head.

my fears on a cham room

My main fear is the air in a room would become stagnant? I guess I could add some vents? The pro would be, if I do 1 cham, I can make the entire room what they all need for humidity, temps would be ambient with spots.

At times like these I wish i designed a ranch style home and not 2 floors. WHIIIIIIIINE lol. This is kinda crazy I have been trying to sell 2 macaws for over a year since they are downstairs and i don't go up and down the stairs well any more. Although chams dont require the attention birds do.

Some day I will hit the lotto.

jackson2.gif

I have a room for FRing my Melleri. The biggest thing I had to work out was the water. I didn't want to fill up a reservoir and empty another one, as they need so much. I had a plumber hook the water and drainage into my house water. That was my biggest hurdle to get over when designing the room. I have central air and leave the door open to the room. (There is a "gate" to prevent wandering.) I also place a fan in the doorway on particularly hot days. So far, the air is not stagnant at all. That was another concern I had. I also made special window screens that I could put in to open the windows on nice days. But, unfortunately, there hasn't been a "nice" day here in over a month.

I wouldn't say there are any cons. Just some things to be worked out before the chams get in the room.

I have an African Grey who needs a lot of attention - do you find your macaws need more or less attention because they have each other?

Deb

My roommate has just moved out so I'm taking over a spare bedroom and moving all of my critters in there. My 3 chams will have 1 wall, then there's a leopard gecko and 2 bearded dragons. My plan, when everyone is housed there, is to shut the door and open 1 cham cage door at a time for some supervised free-range time with me while I read.

My main fear is the air in a room would become stagnant? I guess I could add some vents?

most rooms in normal houses are not "sealed" so air still exchanges under the door and such, not to mention every time you go in and out. Your live plants can clean the air and produce oxygen. If you're concerned, get a fan (bladeless if you are free-ranging the cham, or put a regular fan inside a screen cage to keep the cham away from touching it). drill a couple holes in the door to the room. crack the window now and then.

I had a chameleon room (with cages) as well and there was nothing I didn't like about it. The room did warm up a bit with so many lights and the large window, but be keeping the door open that wasn't a problem. It allowed me to organize everything in one place and close the door if I had guests.

In another apartment I had a bedroom dedicated as a free range for several panthers and that was awsome as well. Same thing, I had the chameleons and all their supplies in their own space and could close the door if I had guests over.

Edit- But keep in mind I'm in South Florida. So it gets hot here very easily in the warm months.

Last edited:
It allowed me to organize everything in one place and close the door if I had guests.
oh yes!
being able to Keeping the chameleons (and their bugs) away from Guests is a huge bonus. Some of my guests are do not enjoy lizard/bugs and felt far more comfortable knowing they were well locked away. Some of my guests are small children who need to be supervised around pets.

We have s room that houses one of our chams, tree frogs and all of our feeders. Since we have cats we had to keep the door closed to the room, we had a hard time keeping the temp within an acceptable range.
Here's what we did...

puvy5u3u.jpg

Replaced the solid door with a screen door. It works great! No more problems with temperature, cat or feeder issues!

oh yes!
being able to Keeping the chameleons (and their bugs) away from Guests is a huge bonus. Some of my guests are do not enjoy lizard/bugs and felt far more comfortable knowing they were well locked away. Some of my guests are small children who need to be supervised around pets.

Exactly. I don't have to worry about my friends' toddlers injuring themselves or any of the animals by accident, or any of my friends' dogs running in there and knocking over feeder bins. It's just way more convenient/safe if you have the extra room to spare!

And Lisa, that's a genius idea! I love it. Perfect compromise.

Back
Top Bottom