anybody know who is purchasing every single wc female pqnther import before they even arrive in us to purchase???????

There's only one reason someone would do such a thing.... Evil
Dr Evil Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I was wondering the same exact thing. I was able to pick up a male ambilobe from the most recent import but I heard "none came in". Sounds more like in other words... somebody snatched them all up before anybody else could get them?

Will be getting smart and keeping them bk to breed in farms bk in Madagascar 😆
Its imo its more important to follow the females lineage for pedigree locale
This is interesting.
I think this is may be my same question...
Why the interest in the females?
I do not pretend to know much of anything about genetics or the such. But it would seem to me the WC males would be of more interest to a breeder than the females? You would know what the adult WC male looks like, and could choose a CB female that you know the lineage of to pair the male with, if you were trying to breed for a specific trait.
A WC female, you would have no idea what the parents look like. And it is easier to recognize a male from a specific locale that a female.
Is it that a WC female would bring in more (genetic) diversity?
(Not trolling, just lookin to learn.):)

This is interesting.
I do not pretend to know much of anything about genetics or the such. But it would seem to me the WC males would be of more interest to a breeder than the females? You would know what the adult WC male looks like, and could choose a CB female that you know the lineage of to pair the male with, if you were trying to breed for a specific trait.
A WC female, you would have no idea what the parents look like. And it is easier to recognize a male from a specific locale that a female.
That's a good question. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation than me, but I'll give it my best shot down below.

But it would seem to me the WC males would be of more interest to a breeder than the females? You would know what the adult WC male looks like, and could choose a CB female that you know the lineage of to pair the male with, if you were trying to breed for a specific trait.
The answer (maybe??): I think you are on the right track. If they were indeed trying to breed for a specific trait, they could find one crazy looking male with the most insane colors and then pair him up (theoretically) with every female that they keep. And then this way they have a bunch of chams to sell to other countries. I could definitely be wrong, but the same concept would apply even if they weren't breeding for traits. You have one male and pair him up with a bunch of females and voila you have many more babies than you would have if the ratio was opposite. The number of babies directly correlates to the number of females kept.

That would make sense. They aren't even making out of the country.
But regarding someone (a breeder outside the country) purchasing all the females, I am not sure the same would apply.
Unless it is a farm outside of the country I guess.
But in regards to the small scale, or hobby breeder, I don't understand the interest in the WC females.

This is interesting.
The males
This is interesting.
Exactly with the males you already see what your going to get minus some recessive genes but the females need to be proven hence why i think its more crucial to know her lineage. (When trying to keep in their locale forms)

Nice topic--
Don't know the answer but sent some emails out to reptile importers. Will just have to wait and see what they say.

I thought that WC was no longer happening but were actually Farm Raised (like they are doing in Florida). So, females would be the majority of their $$$$ with raising the babies and selling Adult Males (I am guessing since I don't like supporting the WC industry). To many great breeders here and very knowledgeable too. Not sure why we would bring in diseases and parasites from a different country.. I am sure there are reasons to complex for my simple reasoning.

I believe there is actually only 1 or 2 people licensed to “farm” chameleons in Madagascar. So unless they have some ungodly amount of chameleons I would think most are still wild caught.

I believe there is actually only 1 or 2 people licensed to “farm” chameleons in Madagascar. So unless they have some ungodly amount of chameleons I would think most are still wild caught.
How many are licensed in Florida to ranch though doesn't stop there from being a illicit trade. And I'm sure they are on a quota of how many can be exported from wildcaught but would this include farmed chameleons i wonder

Back
Top Bottom