Anybody in the States have an Indian stickbug colony?

EmanSami

If so I would like to add you to my friends. Maybe later I could buy some. What are your experiences with them? Good feeders?

I have seen them at the Natural History Museum, but I don't think they are available to to buy them to raise as exotic pets...

Some people have them however they are "illegal"… They are great food if you are able to have the food that they eat growing outside to go and pick otherwise purchasing berry leaves is a PITA. They are a good enrichment feeder but that’s about it. I had a cage full for a long while but let them die off due to me not wanting to buy food for em.

Ha. You probably aren't going to get a whole lot of replies. :) Send me a PM and we can discuss it further.

Illegal but not impossible

They are "illegal" yet some sellers on european ebay that sell them as feeders are willing to sell them. (no first hand experience or anything, just have talked with these people) Stick bug colonies are SUPER easy though... kinda like a cham actually with the mistings and screen cages, just some larger species have very rough thorn on their back legs for defense so watch out. and the peruvian black velvet stick insect has a nasty spray that can be an irritant so i don't know how safe they are to feed off. ANNDD for a lot of species you have to buy eukaliptis leaves.... which is a PAIN!

I just bought 4 small ones a few months ago and they have grown big time and I am expecting them to start laying eggs soon. They are really easy to take care of. room temps, daily light mistings, some sticks to climb on and hang from to moult is about all they need. They eat bramble (blackberry and raspberry leaves, this is the best food for them and they love it), they will also eat privot (bad as a gutload for feeders), and rose leaves. romaine lettuce will keep them alive but they will not grow much or thrive with just romaine. hope that helps.

I just bought a couple from the same place Mike got them from, just waiting on delivery though. If you are looking to get any other species other than Indian stick insects i have a PDF with alot of species and what they eat if anyone is interested in taking a look. As for the european seller, it will probably be hard to get them into the US because if they are inspected and know what they are you will be in trouble :p. You would definetly have to buy eggs from those sellers but there isnt always the guarantee that they will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom