Any vets here?

lonomac

Just asking because I have an eye question. One of my chams was diagnosed by a vet for having a hyphema (blood in the eye). His left eye sunk in and doesn't open that often. I was given some antibiotic ointment to put on his eye which did help temporarily but doesn't seem to go away completely. As soon as I stop using it his eye sinks back in and doesn't open again. I'm guessing the next step the vet will want to do is to use a systemic antibiotic, but I'm not a vet so....

Would there be any objections I should have for doing this? I'm just concerned it could cause more issues or is it pretty much safe? Or any other ideas that could work etc. I guess I'm asking because the Vet I went to, I don't have total faith in as she has worked with reptiles before but not chams. Still in the process of finding one close to me.

Last edited:
Was originally using a reptisun 10.0. When his eye started acting up I switched to a 5.0. So hes either using a 5.0 or sunlight

Hey,

Obviously it is hard to diagnose without seeing at least some pictures and discuss other husbandry issues..... (I'm pretty sure you can't get pictures of what I'd need to see.)

Hyphema probably wouldn't be due to light source. Usually this is more of an indication of trauma. (Has he fallen recently?).

If that is the case, a topical with a steriod might be indicated.

If in fact there is conjuntivitis instead of hyphema, this could be secondary to overexposure to high heat/light. There are some instances of KCS (dryeye that require constant lubrication.) You should consult your vet, but potentially trying Genteal drops for a week to see if your chams signs resolve without antibiotics would be a good indication.

Hope this is of some help,
Matthew

Ya I'm not aware of any trauma. If he did fall, I wasn't around when it happened. It did happen suddenly though, one day it was fine, then the next day he was rubbing his eye and it was sunken in. I thought he may have poked it on something. The vet told me (not sure how accurate she was, I don't think she was an expert at this) that it may have been caused by getting too cold, or low humidity. It stays 80 constant in my house but is rather dry, average 35% humidity. I can;t get any good pics of his eyeball, but it was opened up by the vet and was really red.

Last edited:
Humidity is low. Not quite sure about how low humidity is causing hyphema, though? (conjuntivitis sure, but not hyphema) Maybe rubbing eye on stick due to low humidity/itchy eye... seems odd

I have a real hard time believing the cold is causing the hyphema:(

Good luck,
Matthew

I'm no expert but I'd recommend getting a bigger humidifier going in the room where your cham is. 35% is fairly low and he's possibly getting a little dry. Even if it's not the cause, I'm sure he's not very happy in 35% humidity. Higher humidity helps with their shedding and gives then the moisture they need to remain happy.

I'm no expert but I'd recommend getting a bigger humidifier going in the room where your cham is. 35% is fairly low and he's possibly getting a little dry. Even if it's not the cause, I'm sure he's not very happy in 35% humidity. Higher humidity helps with their shedding and gives then the moisture they need to remain happy.

Yep, I have one now that runs 24/7 at full capacity. Thinking of getting 2-3 more lol.

Back
Top Bottom