Any suggested tips?

Emily K

PXL_20210317_204006162~2.jpg
This is Cleo my 1 year old female veiled chameleon. Today she seemed paler than usual and around her eyes it seems a bit dark to me.
I built a larger enclosure for her after she laid her first clutch of unfertilized eggs. I have 5 potted plants that she really enjoys, and I feed her 60 crickets once a week with the calcium dust. Have her on a 12 hour lights on/lights off setting, and I just got her an automatic mister. I have a permanent laying bin at the bottom and she seems to be a lot more active, I'm curious if I need to do anything for her, maybe I'm missing a supplement? Not sure if she's close to laying again but just wanted any suggested tips since I want what is best for her! I take your guys advice seriously and look forward to any thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.

Hi! :) I too am wondering about the 60 crickets once a week. From what you have said, I do see some things that aren’t ideal. Rather than play 20 million questions, the easiest way is for you to answer the following questions (copy & paste) and someone can look over all of your husbandry and make sure you’ve got everything just perfect for your sweet lady. If you could add pics of your entire enclosure, including lights and floor, that would be a huge help too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

View attachment 296097This is Cleo my 1 year old female veiled chameleon. Today she seemed paler than usual and around her eyes it seems a bit dark to me.
I built a larger enclosure for her after she laid her first clutch of unfertilized eggs. I have 5 potted plants that she really enjoys, and I feed her 60 crickets once a week with the calcium dust. Have her on a 12 hour lights on/lights off setting, and I just got her an automatic mister. I have a permanent laying bin at the bottom and she seems to be a lot more active, I'm curious if I need to do anything for her, maybe I'm missing a supplement? Not sure if she's close to laying again but just wanted any suggested tips since I want what is best for her! I take your guys advice seriously and look forward to any thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.
Have you had your husbandry reviewed ? Thats usually a good start to correcting any issues that pose long term problems.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2-3 feeders every other day is the most commonly recommended feeder schedule for your chameleons age and gender but someone with more experience with your type of chameleon will hopefully reply soon. Please fill out the questions on the form so they can assess your situation. By the looks of her she may also be a bit dehydrated.

I'm sorry is this not enough? Too many
Fill out the husbandry forms, but she should be eating like 3 to 4 crickets 3 times a week. Obesity can be a problem, as well as egg binding caused large clutches of eggs from over feeding. The eyes look a bit dehydrated, but Adjusting that automatic mister will help with that. If you fill out the form there are some good people here to help you. You can also look at my site which covers much of the basic daily care and set up. www.caskAbove.com

60 crickets? 😳 Did I read this correctly?
I'm sorry is this not enough? Too many?
Hi! :) I too am wondering about the 60 crickets once a week. From what you have said, I do see some things that aren’t ideal. Rather than play 20 million questions, the easiest way is for you to answer the following questions (copy & paste) and someone can look over all of your husbandry and make sure you’ve got everything just perfect for your sweet lady. If you could add pics of your entire enclosure, including lights and floor, that would be a huge help too.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -species: veiled, female, and I believe like 14-16 months old. 1 year in my care.
Handling - no handeling
Feeding - crickets. 5 dozen large. Once per week. I don't gut load.
Supplements - repti calcium, without d3
Watering - automatic 15 second mist every 3 hours. Additionally, I manually mist the cage at night. I do see her drinking from the leaves often.
Fecal Description - dark brown, white urine attached normally with a hint of yellow. I have not had her tested for parasites.
History - she has laid eggs once so far, about 6 months ago.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - wooden and screen cage. What are the dimensions? 2ft square foot 4 ft height
Lighting - zoo med lighting , one day light blue bulb and one reptile uvb 100 bulb. 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Shuts off at 7pm and turns on at 7 am.
Temperature - temp range is 75-78 at the bottom and the top basking spot I have never measured I only have one temperature measure. Lowest overnight temp is 67. I have a digital temp measure at the bottom.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels: I don't have a way to measure the humidity. I assumed the misting was for water and humidity.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind: yes all live plants, I have 2 pothos, 2 philodendron plants and 1 christmas cactus
Placement - Where is your cage located: in my study room with the door shut during the day and open at night. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas: an air vent is 2 feet away across the room. No traffic at all. I just go in there during the day. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor: the cage sits on the floor so the highest point is 4 ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located: I live in lower east Michigan

Current Problem - I was concerned seeing her face paler green than usual especially on her face. Also I use a space heater set at 80 degrees since my study room has a hard time reaching 70-75 degrees. I am wondering if I should take the space heater away?

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.
Sorry for my poor quality photos of my set up I took these just now and her lights are off. The photos of her are from earlier before she went to bed.

Attachments

• PXL_20210318_022559270.jpg
    PXL_20210318_022559270.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20210318_022621967.jpg
    PXL_20210318_022621967.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20210318_022652034.jpg
    PXL_20210318_022652034.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20210318_022744656.jpg
    PXL_20210318_022744656.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20210317_204001803.jpg
    PXL_20210317_204001803.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20210317_204006162~2.jpg
    PXL_20210317_204006162~2.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 71
Fill out the husbandry forms, but she should be eating like 3 to 4 crickets 3 times a week. Obesity can be a problem, as well as egg binding caused large clutches of eggs from over feeding. The eyes look a bit dehydrated, but Adjusting that automatic mister will help with that. If you fill out the form there are some good people here to help you. You can also look at my site which covers much of the basic daily care and set up. www.caskAbove.com
Oh my goodness I am feeding her too much!!! I didn't know... I just filled it out, it took me a while.

I'm sorry is this not enough? Too many?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -species: veiled, female, and I believe like 14-16 months old. 1 year in my care.
Handling - no handeling
Feeding - crickets. 5 dozen large. Once per week. I don't gut load.
Supplements - repti calcium, without d3
Watering - automatic 15 second mist every 3 hours. Additionally, I manually mist the cage at night. I do see her drinking from the leaves often.
Fecal Description - dark brown, white urine attached normally with a hint of yellow. I have not had her tested for parasites.
History - she has laid eggs once so far, about 6 months ago.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - wooden and screen cage. What are the dimensions? 2ft square foot 4 ft height
Lighting - zoo med lighting , one day light blue bulb and one reptile uvb 100 bulb. 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Shuts off at 7pm and turns on at 7 am.
Temperature - temp range is 75-78 at the bottom and the top basking spot I have never measured I only have one temperature measure. Lowest overnight temp is 67. I have a digital temp measure at the bottom.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels: I don't have a way to measure the humidity. I assumed the misting was for water and humidity.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind: yes all live plants, I have 2 pothos, 2 philodendron plants and 1 christmas cactus
Placement - Where is your cage located: in my study room with the door shut during the day and open at night. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas: an air vent is 2 feet away across the room. No traffic at all. I just go in there during the day. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor: the cage sits on the floor so the highest point is 4 ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located: I live in lower east Michigan

Current Problem - I was concerned seeing her face paler green than usual especially on her face. Also I use a space heater set at 80 degrees since my study room has a hard time reaching 70-75 degrees. I am wondering if I should take the space heater away?

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.
Sorry for my poor quality photos of my set up I took these just now and her lights are off. The photos of her are from earlier before she went to bed.
She's obese omg :( should I go straight down to 1 dozen per week?

Ok thank you, that is great that you filled out the form and posted pics. From the looks of it there are a few adjustments that will help your little one. First off you will want to raise the cage off the floor preferably about 2-3 ft off the ground. She will be more comfortable with more coverage. You should definitely adjust your feeding amount and check your humidity (I use the Bluetooth Govee gauge found here https://caskabove.com/additional-needs) your heater may by drying out the air and your chameleon. The gauge also checks the temperature which you will want to check and keep your basking temp at around 80 degrees. You will want to start gut-loading your feeders (https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-gutload.jpg
And you will want to add a dusting of multivitamin (with d3) one feeding every 2 weeks. You may want to upgrade your UVB lighting to a linear t5HO 6% or 5.0 to ensure proper UV levels. Adding a min or 2 to a few misting sessions can help with dehydration. Hope this helps ☺️

Ok thank you, that is great that you filled out the form and posted pics. From the looks of it there are a few adjustments that will help your little one. First off you will want to raise the cage off the floor preferably about 2-3 ft off the ground. She will be more comfortable with more coverage. You should definitely adjust your feeding amount and check your humidity (I use the Bluetooth Govee gauge found here https://caskabove.com/additional-needs) your heater may by drying out the air and your chameleon. The gauge also checks the temperature which you will want to check and keep your basking temp at around 80 degrees. You will want to start gut-loading your feeders (https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-gutload.jpg
And you will want to add a dusting of multivitamin (with d3) one feeding every 2 weeks. You may want to upgrade your UVB lighting to a linear t5HO 6% or 5.0 to ensure proper UV levels. Adding a min or 2 to a few misting sessions can help with dehydration. Hope this helps ☺️
Thank you!! I will adjust. 😊

I am on my phone now and I’m not good at texting. I will give more info tomorrow.
For now.
They need high humidity at night 100% and temp below 65 if you can.
Don’t worry about keeping it warm just make sure that she has basking spot on 2 times a day. Morning and night. 80 max basking. For an hour or so. They don’t need to be that warm. Even 72 73 ambient is not bad.
Misting she will do better with two long mists 3 to 4 minutes even if you can. They are shy drinkers. In the wild the only hydrate through Fog at night. They have to adapt to just mist which they do. Fogging can be a benefit in keeping them hydrated.
As mentioned you will need to upgrade uvb. And add multi and D3 to the routines.

Most things have already been covered...just want to add on a bit.
In addition to the calcium without D3, your pretty lady needs calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, each one once every other week. Or an easier way is to use Reptivite with D3, which you would use one feeding every 2 weeks. It is a multivitamin and D3 combined. Of course you’d use the calcium without D3 at all other feedings.
The most effective/best lighting for uvb is a T5HO with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. I prefer the Arcadia as it only needs to be replaced every year, while the other is good for only 6 months.
Like us, chameleons like variety in their diet. You could add different types of feeders. Attaching feeder graphic. It’s important to feed your feeders well so that they are healthy, and therefore offer more nutrition.
It’s best to feed once in the morning to give time to bask and digest. I’m not sure where your lady is in her reproductive cycle, so I’m not sure I’d tell you to cut her back to ideal feeding amounts just yet. I may be wrong on this, but it may be best to wait until after she’s laid eggs again to make drastic changes in her diet. Personally I would give 4-5 feeders every other day or even 3 feeders daily. If she’s working on growing some eggs, I don’t think it would be good to cut back on her nutrition. After she’s laid eggs again, feed her well for 2-3 days and then cut back to 3 feeders 3 times a week.
I love that you aren’t using any fake plants. I’d suggest adding some more though. Something like a tall umbrella plant or money tree would make a great centerpiece. For a nice pop of color, maybe a wandering Jew hanging in the corner opposite the pothos. You want to give her more areas to take shade and hide in. Adding more branches and vines would add more little roads for her to travel to. You can use branches from outside, just avoid pine and other trees with sap. Give a wash with dish soap, rinse and sun dry...it’s that easy. Having a wooden enclosure should make it much easier to hang plants and things.
I believe other members are helping with the rest, so bowing out now. :)

BE60514A-1522-4BBD-8145-162B29C3D71D.jpeg

Most things have already been covered...just want to add on a bit.
In addition to the calcium without D3, your pretty lady needs calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, each one once every other week. Or an easier way is to use Reptivite with D3, which you would use one feeding every 2 weeks. It is a multivitamin and D3 combined. Of course you’d use the calcium without D3 at all other feedings.
The most effective/best lighting for uvb is a T5HO with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. I prefer the Arcadia as it only needs to be replaced every year, while the other is good for only 6 months.
Like us, chameleons like variety in their diet. You could add different types of feeders. Attaching feeder graphic. It’s important to feed your feeders well so that they are healthy, and therefore offer more nutrition.
It’s best to feed once in the morning to give time to bask and digest. I’m not sure where your lady is in her reproductive cycle, so I’m not sure I’d tell you to cut her back to ideal feeding amounts just yet. I may be wrong on this, but it may be best to wait until after she’s laid eggs again to make drastic changes in her diet. Personally I would give 4-5 feeders every other day or even 3 feeders daily. If she’s working on growing some eggs, I don’t think it would be good to cut back on her nutrition. After she’s laid eggs again, feed her well for 2-3 days and then cut back to 3 feeders 3 times a week.
I love that you aren’t using any fake plants. I’d suggest adding some more though. Something like a tall umbrella plant or money tree would make a great centerpiece. For a nice pop of color, maybe a wandering Jew hanging in the corner opposite the pothos. You want to give her more areas to take shade and hide in. Adding more branches and vines would add more little roads for her to travel to. You can use branches from outside, just avoid pine and other trees with sap. Give a wash with dish soap, rinse and sun dry...it’s that easy. Having a wooden enclosure should make it much easier to hang plants and things.
I believe other members are helping with the rest, so bowing out now. :)

View attachment 296114
Thank you very much!! I will make the adjustments :) I would love to go plant shopping for her and make it better in there!

Just made a to do list! Thank you so much everyone for your full responses! I appreciate it so much.

Back
Top Bottom