Any red eye tree frog breeders?

wendysjungle

I have had a single red eye tree frog (Fyog) for about a year, living in a huge terrarium in my office. I recently decided to give him a couple of pals, and bought two more (Bjorn and Greenie. I work with kids, and let them name the frogs.:)) Last night I was at the office really late for a meeting, and heard a weird noise coming from the frog enclosure after lights out. I looked in there, and whoa! :eek: Frog sex! Fyog was going at Bjorn (Bjornia?).

It never occurred to me they would breed, as I didn't do any of the simulated drought or simulated rainy season that every online source says has to happen for them to want to breed. So anybody know (or know a good source) for what to do from here? If she lays eggs, I'm assuming they won't hatch into frogs in the terrarium as is, but I'm having trouble finding any sources that state what to do once breeding takes place, they all just say how to stimulate the frogs to breed (apparently unnecessary in "Wendy's froggy red-light-district").

This is what my book says. I personaaly have never bred them. Hope it helps.

You have to make sure the eggs are slightly above water on a leaf so when they hatch they can fall in. They can hatch in 5-11 days & the tadpole stage can last from 40-60 days. because of the rapid growth rate after becoming froglets they are especially proned to mbd. Dust frequently & feed heavily. Oh, I forgot, the temp should idealy be 78-85F. This will play a role in the time required for the development of the eggs & the growth & metamorphosis of the tadpoles.

Good luck.

Thanks both of you for your help! The book info is very helpful, and I'll drop Chris a pm as well for any additional info.

Back
Top Bottom