Any new developments on CANV in Chameleons?

mapdoggis

Hi everyone. I'm not really a poster as I prefer to read what is out there. Anyway, I was wondering if there are still studies being conducted on CANV in chameleons and if any new articles have been posted within the last year.

I've read Kinyonga's posts and links. The reason I'm curious is that my vet suspects my jackson is infected with CANV and we are scheduling a biopsy for tomorrow and will be sending the sample to California for testing. The iodine scrubs have been ineffective. The skin fungus seems to be progressing exactly as studies have shown. I'm debating if I should euthanize her. I've tried to take photos, but the color doesn't come through properly.

Also, any additional links on yellow fungi that I can read up on?

There is a simple treatment for CANV. It is effective and will cure your animal.

Itraconazole (orally) + vagisil cream (topical). Typically treatment is daily for 14 days (consult your vet for their recommended regimen). During this time keep the cage furnishings limited and plan on buying new at the end of treatment.

Thanks for the link, Kinyonga. That's a new one. It seems Itraconazole is a debatable cure but more promising than nothing. I may see if I can get my hands on the voriconazole.

Thank you for the info, Ataraxia. Is vagisil the same as monistat? After the vet told me to stop the iodine scrubs, I bought some monistat 7 cream and applied it yesterday. This morning, the fungus seemed to have receded/crusted off revealing a sliver of beautiful skin. I have taken her entire setup apart and bleached everything. I've constructed a temporary setup in a 4'x2.5'x2.5' butterfly cage that is outside.

Photos from this morning

https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/mapdoggis-albums-skin-fungus-camo.html

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The itraconazole worked well on the chameleons I used it on. It's important to treat the CANV ASAP. It's a definite killer.

Agree with Kinyonga. I have also used Itraconazole with no ill affects to speak off.

I am truly sorry, i did give you the wrong info. It is not vagisil, it is monistat. You want something with Miconazole Nitrate.

I wouldn't bleach anything you can throw away instead. Seriously this stuff is hard to get rid of so a full cleaning of the cage and then tossing out all the stuff inside is the safest thing.

Thank you all for your input!

OldChamKeeper, should I buy new plants or get artificial ones? Will bleaching the cage be ok or should I get another one? Or what is the proper way to clean the cage thoroughly?

How do you keep the chameleon awake to eat? The vet have me a prescription of cherry itraconazole 0.3 ml per day. My chameleon vomited the first day that I have her some and she's been asleep pretty much ever since. I can get her to wake up for a minute or two to drink but she hasn't eaten. I did cram a newly shed white roach in her mouth today. Hopefully she swallowed it before she fell back asleep.

If she is at the point of sleeping no matter what. Im afraid her time is limited. Sometimes chameleons like many other reptiles do not show just how far gone they are until they are literally on their death bed.

If you are forcing please be extremely patient with her. Literally a single drop at the tip of the tongue and let the chameleon have a few minutes to swallow. Be sure to give a little pedialyte also. With ill animals forcing medicine without a catheter placed into the stomach can be a long process. Many fail when forcing all fluids at once or too much at once. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom