Any Guinea Pig Owners? = )

6 weeks? Usually pet stores get them younger because they are 'cuter.' it's a good thing they can live without their mothers from birth/after 3 weeks, otherwise a lot more piggies would be dead :(

6 weeks? Usually pet stores get them younger because they are 'cuter.' it's a good thing they can live without their mothers from birth/after 3 weeks, otherwise a lot more piggies would be dead :(

i know. her little brother had a couple girls that had babies last year and he let them go at four weeks. they said they got them at four weeks and they were there for a little while.

We lost one :(

i was just going to take a pic of our old guy, and when i moved his little igloo i found he had passed :( i had just gave him some veggies and hay a few hours ago. here is a pic of him to show how old he was if you look at the date, and he was at least one when it was taken. Hes had a long happy life, and is now in a better place. bye bye big orange

HPIM0765.jpg

i was just going to take a pic of our old guy, and when i moved his little igloo i found he had passed :( i had just gave him some veggies and hay a few hours ago. here is a pic of him to show how old he was if you look at the date, and he was at least one when it was taken. Hes had a long happy life, and is now in a better place. bye bye big orange

OMG! How awful! :( He looks like a great little guy -- may he rest in peace.

Rabbits also make great cage buddies for guinea pigs, I kept mine together for ever. Always bathed mine with out any problems, I have had them off and on for many years since I was a very young girl. They are so cute, and Re born with hair.

Rabbits also make great cage buddies for guinea pigs, I kept mine together for ever. Always bathed mine with out any problems, I have had them off and on for many years since I was a very young girl. They are so cute, and Re born with hair.

Rabbits make baaaaaad friends for guinea pigs...

Their diets are different, guinea pigs can carry viruses without being affected, but can infect the rabbit, and a rabbit can easily kick out and break a guinea pigs back....

Bunnies can kill piggies! An over excited bunny could kick it's legs and bam! The piggy flies against a wall. :( bunnies and piggies are best kept with their own species.

I've also heard of a story where the bunny got depressed because the guinea pig didn't respond the way a rabbit would. The bunny would groom the pig, but the pig didn't return the favor. So sad.

Would you guys be surprised to know that in many South American countries, guinea pigs are considered a delicacy?...a very tasty, low fat, high protein delicacy?

Well duh, that's how they were domesticated! :) In some areas they have herds of guinea pigs that run around out side their living quarters and they just go outside grab a few and smack em on something.

A friend of mine went to Peru to work in an orphanage - I made her promise me faithfully NOT to eat any little wheekers!

I dunno, maybe if I liked meat I might try it should I end up in that situation. I'd at least lick it to see what it tastes like. I don't think they would taste very good though... My guys are a teeny bit on the pudgy side and I can't imagine eating a pig like them... :/ I think seeing the little nipples on the belly of the cooked pig would gross me out too much though... Everyone laughs when I show them the piggies nips. :)

I dunno, maybe if I liked meat I might try it should I end up in that situation. I'd at least lick it to see what it tastes like. I don't think they would taste very good though... My guys are a teeny bit on the pudgy side and I can't imagine eating a pig like them... :/ I think seeing the little nipples on the belly of the cooked pig would gross me out too much though... Everyone laughs when I show them the piggies nips. :)

They taste better than chicken!

these are my girlfriends two boys. theyre names are Harvey, which is the fluffy one, and alfie is the smooth one. shes a member on guineapigcages too. we built a pretty good size cage off there for them for like $30. we also have a really old one in his own cage. hes at least 6 or 7.
165129_170772222959876_100000812988689_309670_6383366_n.jpg

How cute! One of ours is an Abasynian. He's very, very vocal. Much more so than the other. I've wondered if that was a breed specific thing.

HPIM0765.jpg

Oh, how pretty he was! I'm so sorry you lost him. You gave him a happy life.

Aw, im sorry you lost your little guy. :( The others are Adorable!

I dont think id eat a Guinea Pig but then again I have eaten Iguana, Wild Boar, Bull Testicles, and those little monkey looking things with rings around their tails.:eek: Im in Tijuana Mexico right now and even lived here for a couple of years so im sure I have eaten dog or cat at some point. Lol!

Im planning on getting another little Piggy.:D

Pretty, I'm glad you are planning on getting your piggy a friend. They do love each other dearly. However, remember to get the same gender...they breed like bunnies!!! One of my best friends just sighs when we mention the pigs and says "Call my mother, ask about the pigs"....they had a bad experience with over breeding, ending up with pigs in the kitchen, den and garage.

A neighbor recently went to South America where Guinea Pig was on the menu (they were available for picking like lobsters in the restaurant! YIKES!!!) and he said he couldn't do it. His kids owned Guinea Pigs when they were young and it was just too icky to consider.

I suspect I could do it, but I would hate it. I've cooked at restaurants. Once Rabbit was on the menu. I tried to plead the case that I had a pet rabbit but the head chef said I needed to taste it to know what was "right"....and I absolutely needed to be able to cook it...

Needing a job is a big motivator....

Oh don't worry, I am well aware of the breeding thing. Lol! I had a couple of bunnies years ago that turned into LOTS of bunnies and I really do not want to breed these guys with so many out there needing homes. I just saw a few free Piggies on Craigslist so i'm keeping an eye out for a little boy. :D

Yaaaay! I'm getting another Piggy. :D I am between 2 little guys right now and can't seem to make up my mind. :( I wish I could take both in. One is Gray and White, the other tri colored black, orange, and yellow.

Get the one you think would go best with your pig (temperament wise.) I'm glad you're getting another one. :)

Be sure to sex it! Quarenteen it too. Also make sure your cage is big enough. You don't want your current pig to feel too enclosed and take out the frustration on small pig.

I used to breed Guinea Pigs when I was young but I didn't sell them.. I'd trade them for pellet food and supplies from a couple of my local pet stores.. just to keep my love of the hobby going and to have the opportunity to see such precious babies born.. I had some real beautiful Guineas (even long haired Peruvian).. they can't really be "litter trained" but they do tend to go in one corner of their cage.. they will pick a specific corner they like and frequent it to urinate . As you have seen from other posts go ahead and do your research on the fruits and veggies you would like to give your guinea.. I wouldn't give it too much of the peppers though.. some guineas have issues with that. Parsley and Romaine lettuce are a plus as is bits of carrott now and then. Don't ever give them "iceberg lettuce" though it tends to give Diarreah..
A squeaky Guinea is it's way of talking to you .. telling you .. I'm scared , I'm hungry or I just want to be held and given attention.. I think you will love having her.. They aren't too stinky if you keep up with keeping her cage clean..good luck.. would love to see lots of pics of her when you have her ..!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, you can train them to do tricks! Mine all wheek together when I say yummyumm or yummies. :) Mabel can run around in a circle too. Clarice is too stubborn to do anything, and Alex just pretty much poops her pants if you even talk to her.

Back
Top Bottom