Any concerns with my new cage?

Im still new myself but id suggest potentially more climbing vines or branches, my veiled chameleon literally climbs on everything so I added more wooden dowels to accommodate.

Will post more tonight.

It has reptibark substrate. But if you are talking about the construction, it's lined with pond liner to prevent water from leaking.

Thanks

I would suggest getting rid of any substrate on the enclosure floor. Chams are known to accidentally ingest the stuff and become impacted. Most of us opt for potted plants and a completely bare bottom.

Just saw the additional pic. I love the creative custom frame work. Its highly recommended on getting rid of the "reptibark". You don't want any chance of your cham ingesting a piece which in turn could cause impaction.

Just saw the additional pic. I love the creative custom frame work. Its highly recommended on getting rid of the "reptibark". You don't want any chance of your cham ingesting a piece which in turn could cause impaction.
Will do, but a real reason of why I posted this is because of the raw materials (trees) I used to create this cage. Would these trees have an bad effect on my chameleon?

Thanks for the compliments :)

I'm honestly not sure if lichen is problematic. I would think it will eventually stop growing due to the lack of constant humidity that is would see outside where you retrieved it. Many cham keepers would probably discourage using it. Most of the time natural branches and sure are cooked, sandblasted, etc.. to get rid of any unwanted organisms. You may for a while see some un-invited guests crawling around.

I'm honestly not sure if lichen is problematic. I would think it will eventually stop growing due to the lack of constant humidity that is would see outside where you retrieved it. Many cham keepers would probably discourage using it. Most of the time natural branches and sure are cooked, sandblasted, etc.. to get rid of any unwanted organisms. You may for a while see some un-invited guests crawling around.
Yeah, that's kinda what I have read. But, you'd think in the wild they would deal with organisms on trees all the time.

They do deal with them but the ones on your tree i imagine arent the same as those in their natural habitats and even they they can be harmful. As they said, remove the bark too. Also, what are you using for lighting?

Yeah, that's kinda what I have read. But, you'd think in the wild they would deal with organisms on trees all the time.

Correct, and in the wild they have parasites. The one big thing that they do not have in the wild is the stress of captivity. Being in captivity causes these usual low level annoyances to balloon into life ending illnesses. Chances are you will be OK, but why not sterilize it? It is a great idea though. Looks more rustic than the 2X4's.

They do deal with them but the ones on your tree i imagine arent the same as those in their natural habitats and even they they can be harmful. As they said, remove the bark too. Also, what are you using for lighting?
I have a reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb, 50 or 75 watt day basking bulb, and a red night bulb.

Correct, and in the wild they have parasites. The one big thing that they do not have in the wild is the stress of captivity. Being in captivity causes these usual low level annoyances to balloon into life ending illnesses. Chances are you will be OK, but why not sterilize it? It is a great idea though. Looks more rustic than the 2X4's.
Makes sense, i will sterilize the part of it my cham comes in contact with more so then i already have. I just wiped them down with hot water. Thanks! It really doesnt cost anything besides the screen and pond liner to make. Just time!

Remove the red night light ASAP. Chameleons require darkness to sleep so if you are worried about your temps reaching the low 40s at night, buy a ceramic heat emitter so you don't disrupt your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom