Any bully breed owners around here??

LMAO at that snow white picture. She def looks peeved about her costume. Maybe it wasn't pink enough for her. lol

LMAO at that snow white picture. She def looks peeved about her costume. Maybe it wasn't pink enough for her. lol

haha i think peeved is an understatement. When i get that look from mine i know something is about to be DESTROYED lol

I wouldnt understand why temperment has to do with anything. English bulldogs, some of the laziest slowest dogs ever are considered bully breeds. Most boxers i know act the same way as Odin too and I am around them every day.

And to whomever thinks "blue" pits are rare... but most peoples standards Odin is a blue pit. Most people refer to pitbulls by the color of their nose, creating "blue" or blue nose pits and "red" or red nose pits. Odin and Gypsy would be "blue" and Lily would be a "red" If you look more at Odin they grey color that starts at his shoulders and goes back is the blue fur color that most people often refer to as "blue pitbulls"

Actually, "bluenose" and "rednose" is a gimmick used by backyard breeders to make their ill bred pits seem special.

Also temperament has EVERYTHING to do with a specific breed of dog. I don't consider boxers terribly characteristic of a bully breed because modern boxers lack the drive and focus that most bully breeds have.

Bostons were not really created in the "show ring" they have the name Boston for a reason. They were created as a means to an end back when Boston put a limit law on the weight of a dog anyone could own within the city limits.

They also retain the ability to "lock" their jaws. Mine was a spastic lil thing that one of his favorite past times was to swing around in circles locked on the end of a towel. (I know not really safe, but I was young :rolleyes:) It was his second favorite thing to do, he would bring me towels to do this with. His absolute favorite thing was plastic bottles. You had to keep an eye on your coke, or he would certainly take it. lol

I find the "meaning" behind some of these breeds fascinating. Frenchies for instance, were the result of English men paying for French "ladies of the night" services. They would often use runt English bull dogs. Well these *cough* ladies *cough* bred these runts, eventually creating the Frenchie.

Interesting about the Bostons being a result of a weight limit. Modern Bostons are definitely a result of the show ring, as demonstrated by their small size, bugged eyes and hyper brachial faces. Your typical modern "showbred" boston would be useless as a working dog.

Also, no dog can "lock" their jaws; this is a total and complete myth. They also don't have any sort of enhanced bite pressure. They are, however, very tenacious dogs. Many bully breeds were originally bred to be...bullbaiters, of course. These dogs would be in a pit with charging bull and would have to grab the bull's face and bring it to a stand still. They were selectively bred to not let go, even if airborne. This was also a desirable trait in fighting breeds, such as the APBT and the Staffordshire terrier.

This thread needs more cute dog photos.

Here is an awesome thread on SA talking about various bully breeds and their histories, if anyone wants some good reading. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119806

im so stoked there is someone so informed about bullys here. Im on another bulldog/bully breed forum and we get so many horrid backyad breeders that breed for HUGE heads, 200% extra muscle, short stocky legs touting about their "gotti line" or "razors edge blood" it gets horrible trying to explain about red/blue/fawn/white/brindle and how their are completely retarded in what they were doing. Youd be good on bdb with us hahaha

Actually, "bluenose" and "rednose" is a gimmick used by backyard breeders to make their ill bred pits seem special.

Also temperament has EVERYTHING to do with a specific breed of dog. I don't consider boxers terribly characteristic of a bully breed because modern boxers lack the drive and focus that most bully breeds have.

Im well aware that bluenose and rednose are not official ways/terms of classifying pitbulls. Its the publics way of trying to make themselves seem like they know about dog breeds. The only time someone should we worried about the color of a dogs nose is if it is pink due to lack of pigment in which case it will need sunscreen applied to it to keep fom getting a sunburn, we had to do this with my GFs puppy at first because she had no pigment what so ever on her nose or body and got one or two good sunburns before we found a sunblock that words for dogs

as far as the boxer temperment it seems every boxer i come across is just as big of spaz and prey/ball driven as any other pit/staffy ive met. Like i said not calling you a liar ive just never met a calm not spastic bully acting boxer :D

Also, no dog can "lock" their jaws; this is a total and complete myth. They also don't have any sort of enhanced bite pressure. They are, however, very tenacious dogs. Many bully breeds were originally bred to be...bullbaiters, of course. These dogs would be in a pit with charging bull and would have to grab the bull's face and bring it to a stand still. They were selectively bred to not let go, even if airborne. This was also a desirable trait in fighting breeds, such as the APBT and the Staffordshire terrier.
There have been quite a few vidoes on youtube about this from APBT people showing and explaining how redicilous (sp?) and naive of a believe this is. If a dog had locking jaws it would just be completely negative for the dog, locking jaws would mean the dog would never feed or drink. Take a step back and really think about "locking jaws"

Here, ill start the pictures off again. Lily at about 3 months and gypsy somewhere around a year
IMG00187-20090523-1159.jpg

Originally Posted by kenya

There have been quite a few vidoes on youtube about this from APBT people showing and explaining how redicilous (sp?) and naive of a believe this is. If a dog had locking jaws it would just be completely negative for the dog, locking jaws would mean the dog would never feed or drink. Take a step back and really think about "locking jaws"

Hence why I used " marks around the word "lock" I know it's a myth, that there is no mechanism in place. It is like you said, they are just bred to not let go. Bostons display this same characteristic.

Hence why I used " marks around the word "lock" I know it's a myth, that there is no mechanism in place. It is like you said, they are just bred to not let go. Bostons display this same characteristic.

Oh yeah, I know, I just want to clarify for anyone reading this thread and not knowing.

I try not to use confusing terms that happen to be the same ones the media uses to perpetuate BSL and discrimination against bully breed dogs.

If anyone is interested, this is an interesting documentary about the plague of dogfighting in the US. It is graphic in some parts, so use your discretion. http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...MYeGqQKTgfnzCg&q=off+the+chain+pitbull&dur=3#

SS4luck, in response to : " as far as the boxer temperment it seems every boxer i come across is just as big of spaz and prey/ball driven as any other pit/staffy ive met. Like i said not calling you a liar ive just never met a calm not spastic bully acting boxer"

I just mean that boxers don't strike me as having the focus and tenacity that say a APBT, bull terrier or even old style working bulldogs have. They are still energetic, driven and have that "OMG I LOVE YOU!!" attitude that is very typical of most bully breeds, but they don't have the same caliber of "gameness".

Here is what I mean by "gameness":
http://stason.org/TULARC/animals/do...rriers-breed/12-What-exactly-is-gameness.html

Last edited:
SS4luck, in response to : " as far as the boxer temperment it seems every boxer i come across is just as big of spaz and prey/ball driven as any other pit/staffy ive met. Like i said not calling you a liar ive just never met a calm not spastic bully acting boxer"

I just mean that boxers don't strike me as having the focus and tenacity that say a APBT, bull terrier or even old style working bulldogs have. They are still energetic, driven and have that "OMG I LOVE YOU!!" attitude that is very typical of most bully breeds, but they don't have the same caliber of "gameness".

Here is what I mean by "gameness":
http://stason.org/TULARC/animals/do...rriers-breed/12-What-exactly-is-gameness.html

comepletely understand what you are saying now lol, sorry i get a little think headed sometimes :D

now everyone, pack to picture posting!!

oh my dream is to have a pit! My neighbor and friend has one and he is a love! He has decided I am his second mother so he comes over to my house in the morning to try and find me! oh he is so cute I'd keep him in an instant. I can't have one now though, I am waiting for the day I have my own house and can get one or three! You all have beautiful dogs!

No such thing. Blue is not an APBT color; it was bred in a few decades ago from Neopolitan mastiffs and staffordshire terriers. A "blue pit" is not rare and it isn't a full APBT, either.

Also, your Aussie is ridiculously adorable.

oh :eek: thanx about my aussie :D

Just noticed this thread.... Here's a photo of my "Bella." She's 50% bullmastiff, 50% French Mastiff (Bordeaux). We had another pure bullmastiff that we recently got rid of. The breeder was asking to buy her back (he liked the way she turned out) and she was becoming somewhat of a liability with expensive tortoises running around. We still have Bella. This is an old photo, she is now probably in the 130 pound range, goofy as ever. She'll be 2 years old next week. Wouldn't harm a fly.

Attachments

• Bella2.JPG
    Bella2.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom