Any (Other) Retirees/Seniors Here?

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Looking through your Introductions thread, it didn't appear so, BICBW. Feeling a little out of place. :oops:

I've kept various common reptiles on & off over the past six decades. I saw my first true chameleon in primary school, and I've been enthralled ever since, but never been able to keep one properly. In middle school, and again in my 20s, I kept green anoles, but a true chameleon is what I always wanted. Since retiring (and much discussion with my DW) it's been on my "bucket list".

A little over a year ago I began researching them. I'm not interested in breeding, and am ambivalent about handling; if it happens, great, but I'll also be content with "pretending I don't see him." ;)

Having read that true chameleons are not "beginner" reptiles, I got a bearded dragon first—about a year ago, and things (husbandry & such—also have a herp vet lined up) have gone well, so I'm beginning to research again, with an eye toward a male panther chameleon. I briefly considered a Jackson's, but my understanding (please correct me if I misunderstood) is that they do better with a significant (20°) nighttime temperature drop, which would require my carrying the enclosure down to the basement every night and up again in the morning. Our room temp is around 72°F, which I understand is acceptable for a panther. (Basking & UVB are no problem; BT-DT with the bearded dragon).

I expect to be building an enclosure out of (primarily) window screen, so I can take it outside weather permitting. I have some nice 12" x 24" ceramic tiles left over from the dragon's enclosure for the floor. The spot we have picked out is away from any commotion, at one end of an 8' folding table currently occupied by the Missus' plants, so the enclosure will be (tentatively) 30" x 30" x 48-50"H. She's really into her plants, so will likely be enraptured with that aspect of chameleon keeping.

All this was supposed to have happened already but for good old COVID-19 setting me back 6 months to a year (depending on how my research & building go—I don't move or build as quickly as I once did. :rolleyes:) All will be done & debugged before getting the chameleon.

It's too soon for friendly advice (but thank you); I know I have a lot of reading to catch up on here & elsewhere on the web. I've done well with my dragon, so I'm confident I can do this and do well with a true chameleon. ?

FWIW, the Missus & I have always had & trained dogs, had one cat, several guinea pigs, a few hamsters, a rabbit, some turtles, and the anoles. I'm disabled; I have a service dog now.

Welcome to the forum!

If you can keep a beardie you can keep a chameleon...and a male panther is a good choice!

There are quite a few seniors and retirees on here!

What kind of turtles have you kept?

This site is a great place to get information and there are other sites you can access from here with great information too. I'll leave it to someone else to give the links... @Beman ?

Welcome to the forum!

If you can keep a beardie you can keep a chameleon...and a male panther is a good choice!

There are quite a few seniors and retirees on here!

What kind of turtles have you kept?

This site is a great place to get information and there are other sites you can access from here with great information too. I'll leave it to someone else to give the links... @Beman ?
Welcome to the forum @Klyde O'Scope

I am not a senior yet... But will be 40 this year. Definitely not retired yet :hilarious:

Here are my favorite resource links outside of the forum.

www.dragonstrand.com

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

Welcome! :) I’ll soon be turning 53 (ugh!). I’m still quite new to chameleons and reptiles...never had any until last year. Now I’ve got what feels like a little zoo! Always thought I’d become a crazy cat lady, not a crazy lizard lady. Great thing about the forum is there’s members from all walks of life and all levels of experience and expertise. I hope you get as much out of it as I have.:)

Back
Top Bottom