Any advice is much needed.

WOODY838

I need help this is kiwi she is just 11/12mnts old veiled chameleon. She has never let us touch her before but today she seems like she needs help we can pick her up and she fine with handling but never before. We noticed this and she cannot use her back legs she has a hard lump on her back anus vent area. She's had two nice warm soaks in warmish water and she didn't mind but also she just looks scared if to say. I'm really worried as I'm only an armature chameleon owner and have lots to learn.
I belive she may be impacted and will soon somehow past but I do need to remove her substrate also. Poor little girl.
Today I took her to vets but not much result just some powerd like energy drink thing. No xray so i guess not to serious but i dont know, I've scanned and scanned the Internet for answers but getting not very far. I've learnt alot more than I ever knew amd changes will be made as in humidity no sub and live plants if she survives.
I managed to get prob one or half a mouth full of water. She did poop this morning after i put her in warm water to of course warm up. She cant walk anywhere so she can't drink or eat Can your or anyone you know in the chameleon world please please help me.
above is all I can really say she is very colourful in the face head and front legs but from her neck down she is dark and not moving from her side only to turn over and cannot climb or even walk she is on a blanket and her temp is 20° over night at mo. Pic are yesterday morning before we got a weird 15min covid appointment where we waited outside in car she went in came out asked info I explained basically what you guys are reading and she went back in and ten min later came ba k with kiwi some info and a tub of this energy drink we should bathe her in to try and get it into her mouth.
She's resting now so will take better picture tomorrow of her coloring xx 😭😭😭😭😢😢😔😔😔

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_191513.jpg
    IMG_20201230_191513.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20201229_140709.jpg
    IMG_20201229_140709.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20201229_140720.jpg
    IMG_20201229_140720.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20201229_140756.jpg
    IMG_20201229_140756.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20201229_141612.jpg
    IMG_20201229_141612.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20201229_144042.jpg
    IMG_20201229_144042.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20201229_144047.jpg
    IMG_20201229_144047.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 90
Hi and welcome could you please fill out a husbandry form you can find this in the health section how to ask for help. Can you also post pictures of your full enclosure. @Beman @MissSkittles
I will in morning. What she looks like right now. All lights off now and wrapped to keep warmth in

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_010329.jpg
    IMG_20201231_010329.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 88
You need to get her to a good chameleon vet ASAP.
She could be eggbound as @MissSkittles said.

The pinkish tissue that is sticking out of her anus needs to be kept moist with K-Y jelly (NOT Vaseline).

What's the substrate in the cage? What are the green pieces on top of the substrate? What's the plastic container she's sitting on? Has she laid eggs before? How much do you feed her in a week?

You need to get her to a good chameleon vet ASAP.
She could be eggbound as @MissSkittles said.

The pinkish tissue that is sticking out of her anus needs to be kept moist with K-Y jelly (NOT Vaseline).

What's the substrate in the cage? What are the green pieces on top of the substrate? What's the plastic container she's sitting on? Has she laid eggs before? How much do you feed her in a week?
Each day she has about 6 3rd hoppers that was her useless water plant thingy and substrate was bark chip and that rubbish all she has in her enclosure i now found out is bad plastic plants leaves i need a whole new setup. Well if she survives. Im so new to all this and feel really bad now.

She needs a good reptile vet right away. Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good vet.
She's been vets and appernently there is nothing serious appernently I just have to Bath her in the energy liquid for 20min to see if she will swallow and of her medical energy drink. I. So confused

You said she pooped, so constipation isn’t her issue. Bathing chameleons generally isn’t recommended and is very stressful for them. Plus, what we think is a pleasant warm water temp can be scalding to them.

Can you fill this out while waiting for @jannb to respond about a vet? Will give a better idea of where things are. Also, include some pics of your entire enclosure, including lights and floor.
Be very careful if giving anything in her mouth. Their airway is in the front of their mouth and they can easily aspirate into their lungs.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You said she pooped, so constipation isn’t her issue. Bathing chameleons generally isn’t recommended and is very stressful for them. Plus, what we think is a pleasant warm water temp can be scalding to them.
Im just doing what the vet said as she can't get to water so i should bath her in the liquid to see if she will drink some energy liquid. She doesn't get stressed or agitated when i hold her in it and think she is drinking a very small amount but her eyes look better today. I'm just finding it hard to try and get her to eat. I put things like crixs or locus and the run away and she cant get them. She never had a mario worm before so I went down and put one in front of her face and she is watching it move but now taking it. I saw a video last night of a young man 7years ago kind force but not forcing his cham to eat with out stressing her out. I guess i can only try and try and try. I don't want her to die cus she's be happy and fine everyday for 12mnts now nearly a year. I panic easely and I just her to at least eat one bug so she feels the bit of energy from bug but I hope she knows I'm trying to help. X

Im just doing what the vet said as she can't get to water so i should bath her in the liquid to see if she will drink some energy liquid. She doesn't get stressed or agitated when i hold her in it and think she is drinking a very small amount but her eyes look better today. I'm just finding it hard to try and get her to eat. I put things like crixs or locus and the run away and she cant get them. She never had a mario worm before so I went down and put one in front of her face and she is watching it move but now taking it. I saw a video last night of a young man 7years ago kind force but not forcing his cham to eat with out stressing her out. I guess i can only try and try and try. I don't want her to die cus she's be happy and fine everyday for 12mnts now nearly a year. I panic easely and I just her to at least eat one bug so she feels the bit of energy from bug but I hope she knows I'm trying to help. X
If she is eggbound or impacted, she won’t want to eat. You need to get her either back to the same vet or to a different one and have them do an x ray. If she is eggbound or impacted, she may need surgery or she won’t survive. That her cloaca is protruding is very alarming.

If she is eggbound or impacted, she won’t want to eat. You need to get her either back to the same vet or to a different one and have them do an x ray. If she is eggbound or impacted, she may need surgery or she won’t survive. That her cloaca is protruding is very alarming.
She has pooped and her vent has gone back to normal but she just can't move her back legs that well due to lack of food and water for three days now. Sorry MissSkittles I'm not very good at this yet as learning myself. Kiwi was a gift for our youngest but as teens do they just leave or forget about them so I've taken her on. Like I said if she can recover I need to raise the humid to 65 75 and wrap the two side and back in clingfilm or shower wrap. I need to start with live plants guttloaded insects and dust with cal I never knew this till two days ago as shop sold her to us with little to know knowledge.
I will remover her horrible barky woodchip soil sub and keep it away completely from her.
I wish there was a way to video call or chat. I. Struggling with how hard it is to care for a sick cham. Every hour I'm trying food and drink I'm scanning the net for help and answers and nothing but you guys here to help this novice save the cutest baby girl veiled you have ever seen. Xx😭😭😭😭😭

She has pooped and her vent has gone back to normal but she just can't move her back legs that well due to lack of food and water for three days now. Sorry MissSkittles I'm not very good at this yet as learning myself. Kiwi was a gift for our youngest but as teens do they just leave or forget about them so I've taken her on. Like I said if she can recover I need to raise the humid to 65 75 and wrap the two side and back in clingfilm or shower wrap. I need to start with live plants guttloaded insects and dust with cal I never knew this till two days ago as shop sold her to us with little to know knowledge.
I will remover her horrible barky woodchip soil sub and keep it away completely from her.
I wish there was a way to video call or chat. I. Struggling with how hard it is to care for a sick cham. Every hour I'm trying food and drink I'm scanning the net for help and answers and nothing but you guys here to help this novice save the cutest baby girl veiled you have ever seen. Xx😭😭😭😭😭
She won't move from here. Xx

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_010329.jpg
    IMG_20201231_010329.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 83
She doesn’t at all look good. Unfortunately there’s little anyone can do for her except a veterinarian. I wouldn’t be as concerned about getting her to eat right now. As soon as the vet opens, you need to be at their door...tell them it is an emergency, which is what it is. The vet can give her subcutaneous fluids and they need to do an x ray and blood work if they can.

What's the plastic container she's sitting on? Is it supposed to be a lay bin? It's not suitable for that.
Has she laid eggs before?

You said the green bits on the floor of the cage were a water plant...real or fake? How did it end up in pieces? Did she eat any of it?
What was it called?

Please get rid of the substrate right away...(and the plastic plants eventually too). I'm afraid in her condition she might ingest some of the substrate and become impacted.

Your chameleon needs a GOOD CHAMELEON VET IMMEDIATELY or she isn't going to make it. Sorry to be so harsh....but she is running out of time. If she is too weak there will be nothing for the vet to do to help her either.

What is the energy thing you put in the water?
I would think it would be better if it was given to her in a needleless syringe...that way you know she got it and how much she got. You have to make sure you get it past the opening to her lungs at the front of her mouth...and just ease it in...don't squirt it.

Losing the use of the legs can be from several things...kidney failure, egg binding, pressure from something like a tumor, etc. I'm NOT a vet and I'm NOT able to tell you which one or if there could be another reason that I haven't listed. You need a vet who knows chameleons very well.

Back
Top Bottom