Any acceptable fountains to stimulate drinking?

ElmerH305

4FE70699-A22F-4493-B201-EF424B9348B4.png

So I’ve heard reptile fountains are a no no but what about a cat fountain? Used for stimulating drinking in cats, I believe they have different filtration systems and easy to manage, any thoughts?

No fountains at all for chameleons... You can not keep them clean enough because they recycle water. So fecal matter or feeders get into it and then you have issues with bacterial growth.

Water dripping down on leaves is what you need and this is the natural way for them to drink... Solo cup with a pin hole in the bottom set on top of the enclosure dripping...

View attachment 292416
So I’ve heard reptile fountains are a no no but what about a cat fountain? Used for stimulating drinking in cats, I believe they have different filtration systems and easy to manage, any thoughts?
I used to have fountains for my cats...tried a few different ones. They were a massive pain in the nether region to clean. There were always tiny nooks & crannies that nothing would reach. The filters are basically just a bag of charcoal. Not worth it for cats/dogs and most definitely not appropriate for chameleons.

I used to have fountains for my cats...tried a few different ones. They were a massive pain in the nether region to clean. There were always tiny nooks & crannies that nothing would reach. The filters are basically just a bag of charcoal. Not worth it for cats/dogs and most definitely not appropriate for chameleons.

Same experience, we got a nice cat fountain(for our cats) but was so hard to clean. We have well water so I've thought of just leaving my faucet on a slow drip for them. Our boy cats don't like to drink water for whatever reason from bowls.

I use a dosing pump on a timer that runs for about 5 minutes at a time 4 times per day between 12 and 4

Occasional I see them drink from it, mostly they ignore it. You just need decent drainage to deal with the extra water

Same experience, we got a nice cat fountain(for our cats) but was so hard to clean. We have well water so I've thought of just leaving my faucet on a slow drip for them. Our boy cats don't like to drink water for whatever reason from bowls.

This is the only cat fountain I've found that's easy-ish to clean and durable. Since it's ceramic, it doesn't harbor bacteria in scratches like plastic. No filters to deal with. Ceramic is dishwashable. The rest you clean out with vinegar and water. You can buy a warrantee on the pump. You do have to filter hard water before putting in the fountain to make the pump last longer https://miaustore.com/us/

Still would be easier to leave tap running a bit!

Totally not on the topic of chams, but I was wondering if the fountains were worth it for cats. It sounds like you just answered my question! 😁

Got this in the works myself bro, planning on it basically being like a reef tank refugium with a external canister filter. The live plants will do most of the filtration.
Same! We talked about it on the forums a while back when the subject of water features came up. Could have a freshwater refugium, canister filter with media, powerful UV sterilizers. Basically make it like a well-filtered fish tank. I have a 50g acrylic divided sump collecting dust that I hope to use for it one day. We had a PM group chat about this too with a few people here, should start it back up.

Totally not on the topic of chams, but I was wondering if the fountains were worth it for cats. It sounds like you just answered my question! 😁
I used to have a cat... But it had servers mental health issues. So I got a strange one. 😂 He would drink out of the sink or bathtub only.

So for cats that are more center balanced... Yes. 😂

Same! We talked about it on the forums a while back when the subject of water features came up. Could have a freshwater refugium, canister filter with media, powerful UV sterilizers. Basically make it like a well-filtered fish tank. I have a 50g acrylic divided sump collecting dust that I hope to use for it one day. We had a PM group chat about this too with a few people here, should start it back up.
I’m thinking I’m going to do this for my monitor setup I’m planning. It’s going to be 6ft x 4ft x 6ft, I’m thinking of also using something like a Divided 75g became he’s gonna need a lot of space. My only concern is weather or not the plants can keep up with the amount of waste if he poops in the water, which he definitely will because he loves to 💩 in clean water 😂 But for a Cham it would definitely be doable!

Back
Top Bottom