Another New Chameleon Fan

PascalsWager

"Pascal" (I let elementary school kids name him) joined our family two months ago as a two-month-old. I, too, preach the "Buy from a reputable breeder" sermon, but I saw him, so tiny and adorable at cough-Petco-cough and had to have him. He was even 50% off!

I checked him over and he seemed perfectly healthy and was alone. He'd just come in, so it seemed a good idea to get him out of there. I've always wanted a chameleon since the first time I saw a real one.

Thanks to modern technology, I was able to Google what all I would need right from my phone. Guess which website was the first I found? :)

My profile pic is of Pascal when I first got him home. He's grown exponentially in the two month's he's been here and has shed 4 times. He's been pretty grumpy and unsociable but we had a breakthrough today.

I put my hand in his enclosure as usual and put it up to his front legs. He eyed me warily, but didn't hiss or gape this time. He ever-so-slowly did a half turn to reach for another vine, but instead took hold of my fingers when I offered them. He then came out of his enclosure to see me.

Once out, rather than his marathon climbing that he usually does, he chose to walk from hand to hand a few times, then stopped when I offered to rub his head between his eyes. Surprisingly, he liked it! He let me rub him all over without getting frightened. He buzzed a few times, but didn't seem in any kind of distress.

I was beginning to wonder if he was ever going to warm up to me. He has been feeding from a cup in my hand, and sometimes takes small worms from my palm, but he's always terribly grouchy.

Anyway, here are the photos of MY veiled that looks pretty much like everyone else's veiled.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the kind comments. :) I didn't realize I'd get SO attached to a lizard. lol

Laurie, thank you for the link. I can probably quote the care sheet nearly word for word by now. ;)

I intend to get some better pics of Pascal soon. It can be difficult as we have dogs and cats, too. The dogs are VERY curious, much moreso than the cats. I have a large enclosure ordered and should be able to get some good photos once he's moved into his new digs.

Thanks, Jannb. Yes, he's definitely a male, contrary to what the guy at PetCo claimed. He's got heel spurs, they're just not visible in the photos above. He was nice enough to let me get a close up of one a minute ago. Sorry it's sideways.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
And I will reiterate that I have a new, large mesh enclosure coming for him this week. He's already outgrown his 'baby cage' and will be moving as soon as I can get it set up.

Back
Top Bottom