Another bug question: Dubias

ridgebax1

Avid Member
Does anyone know a way to easily separate adult dubias from smaller ones? I was thinking of cutting the bottom out of a plastic bin and replacing it with some kind of screen or mesh then put that into a second bin with the bottom intact. Any suggestions?

There was a post somewhere, I can't remember where. Where they used different sized drill bits to cut holes in the bottoms of 5 gallon buckets, one bucket for one size w/ appropriate sized hole in the bottom, and it would sort them. It was pretty cool.

Yes, a number of videos on YouTube using different sized holes in buckets or trays. Search "sorting dubia" on youTube.

You can get a couple buckets and put different size holes in them for the roaches to fall threw and just stack the buckets on top of each other. Put roaches in, give a little shake and there you go.

I will have to give that a try cause I really hate rooting around looking for the smaller nymphs for Omar to eat. They really give me the creeps and I would probably soil myself if one got on me. I am not squemish about much but them and crickets, yuk!

Also now that winter is coming I will need to keep the roach bin warm. My house is old and drafty so I was thinking of hanging a ceramic heat emitter over the top of the bin. Any suggestions on what wattage I should use? I have a stand to hang it from so it will be far above the bin so as not to melt the lid and or cook the roaches.

I use 3 buckets and have 10, 5 and 3mm holes drill in separately. Anything bigger than 10-12mm then adults can get through. The last bucket has 3mm for the frass (poo), none of my lizards eat them so I currently have a good roach colony that is useless lol

Being in England it's a lot colder than most of you guys and to have a thriving colony you need them to be at a constant 32 degrees for the best growth and breeding

Get a 42" heat mat and wrap it around the end where the egg flats are stood up on end so that there is a hot box area relatger than having it underneath. Tape it on, stick it on a mat stat and hey presto!

Back
Top Bottom