Anoles

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
So I had my boys outside this evening and as the sun started setting I took Demetri over by the grill so he could catch some more sun. I put him on the back of a chair and was messing with my dog. When I bent down I saw a smaller anole, a young juvenile. It was maybe 1.5" StV, another inch of tail. It spooked when my dog got close and ran up the arm of the chair. Before I could react I see every bit of 12"+ of Demetris tongue go flying, but he was short and didnt get it. The anole being stuck between the dog and Godzilla froze. I did what I normally do when I spot a lizard... grabbed it up. It's a garden variety "green anole"... we have them all over.

Obviously, I wouldn't have mind to let him eat it, and it's not his first time going after an anole. [Twice with the greens, once with the typical brown ones]. He's never actually gotten one. I know they eat them in the wild, and I know some people feed them anoles. I guess what I'm wondering is:

what size is acceptable? [I wouldn't give him anything near that size of anole]

What are the risks? [Anoles here are pretty feisty, I've been bitten many a time, as have the cats and dogs. They don't have teeth so it's more of a pinch... but to a cham?] (Also I'd assume anoles can carry parasites and illnesses as well..)

Anyone have experience with feeding anoles? Is it worthwhile? I'd imagine the benefits of a anole vs a feeder is pretty good, much like a pinky mouse but to a lesser extent?

I'm more the type of guy who will "rescue" the anoles from the cats and dogs and set them free. That may have factored into me not letting him eat it. But if/when I find something closer to the size of a roach or worm....

I think the only risk is parasites , and I wouldn't risk it as the may get bit if the anole if feisty , I wouldn't want my chams tongue getting damaged in any way .
I worry more about crickets and worms biting than an anole. While they can pinch a bit... the hoppers and worms have mandibles which will actually penetrate the flesh and leave a wound. I'd say an anole bite is way less of a risk, especially on a "proper size" for feeding.

I do share your concern... I personally use a pair of pliers to break mandibles off of hornworms and hoppers and Katydids before I feed them off to prevent a bite.

Probably fine, but there is no wild chameleon in his native range that eats anoles.

Clarification: No wild chameleon in his native habitat has eaten a wild anole in his.

Back
Top Bottom