And the viv begins...How does it look

kearth

pgmy.jpg

pgmy1.jpg

pgmy2.jpg

pgmy4.jpg

Here is the beginning of their viv. It will house 1.1 pgymies. I am working on planting it now.

Can some one tell me what kind they are?

Not bad just different than "true" chameleons.

Id say throw a few live plants in the enclosure, even though you can house 2 or three of these guys together sometimes the still need alone time and having a well planted enclosure will help.

Ive always have bad luck with sticks form outside. The water makes them soften and mildew so I would be prepared to change them out often, therefore make the VIV accessible enough to do so. The humidity in a small space will make it happen more quickly. Have you ever smelled rotting leaves? Ick. I think Ryan has some pygmies, so Im sure you could look him up and see his profile pics on his viv. Looks rather bare though. I think these guys like to hide? Id probably ditch the sticks and get a few tall plants to fit the viv. Shefflera have sturdy branches, they even hold my Leos weight when others wont. Good luck

betty did you bake the sticks in your oven before putting them in the cage?
im a huge fan of the real sticks in my enclosure and i got mine from a local pond and it was a pretty wet day out and i baked them in the oven and they dried out perfectly and i havent had any problems with anything so far with them.
plus it kills all the bad things.

betty did you bake the sticks in your oven before putting them in the cage?
im a huge fan of the real sticks in my enclosure and i got mine from a local pond and it was a pretty wet day out and i baked them in the oven and they dried out perfectly and i havent had any problems with anything so far with them.
plus it kills all the bad things.

Yea, I did because I also fed a certain type to some chins we used to have so I baked them on low for over an hour to kill anything living on it.. But once put in with moisture, they went to blah.. and the bottom of this viv looks pretty wet.. But don't listen to me..Just MY experience is all.

Kearth,

We have a forum here for pygmy enclosures.
You have probably searched around there, but if not ... you will get some good ideas on constructing enclosures for these animals there.
I am moving this thread to that forum.

The brevs are great and I hope you have success with them.

-Brad

I did not know about the pygmy enclosure section but thank you for the move. I will go check it out now.

The bottom of this viv looks pretty wet because I just set it up. The sticks are from outside and have been baked. I have about 25 dart frogs vivs set up which stay much more humid and I have alot of stick in their as well. I will happily change them out as they go bad or start to mush up.

The pics are before plants. I will update the pics today at some point in time. I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction.

Brad - Thank you for the scientific name that is just what i was looking for.

I have been spraying the tank down once/ twice a day... is that enough.

Thank you for all of your help guys.

Glass enclosures retain humidity pretty well. My frog tank I spray twice a day, once in the AM and once in the PM. It really depends I suppose, on if your chams use the misting as a water source. If so, I would spray 3-4xs to ensure that they are able to come in contact with water when needed. Good luck.

Here is the first one
chamviv1.jpg

and the second one
chamviv2.jpg

This one the female of the first pair
chamviv5.jpg

The male hiding
chamviv6.jpg

Opinions welcome and considered :)

I searched and this is what I came up with:

The gender can often be distinguished by examining the base of the tail immediately posterior to the cloaca. If the specimen is male, a bilateral swelling caused by the hemipenes may often be seen. Now this was just a general sexing of chams. I would "think" this would fall for this species as well, but Im not sure. thats just what google told me :)

And just in case:
in zoological anatomy, a cloaca is the posterior opening that serves as the only such opening for the intestinal and urinary tracts of certain animal species. It is also known as the anal beak.

It really depends I suppose, on if your chams use the misting as a water source. If so, I would spray 3-4xs to ensure that they are able to come in contact with water when needed.

In my opinion this would be too much misting.
The enclosure needs to be misted then allowed to at least somewhat dry out.
Twice a day is probably going to be enough ... just watch the hygrometer and how quickly water evaporates in the enclosure.

-Brad

In my opinion this would be too much misting.
The enclosure needs to be misted then allowed to at least somewhat dry out.
Twice a day is probably going to be enough ... just watch the hygrometer and how quickly water evaporates in the enclosure.

-Brad

Thank you Brad. I guess smaller containers wouldn't need as much as Gigantic ones. I just do not know the pygmy needs. Like I said, My RETF gets its twice a day so that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.:)

Back
Top Bottom