An empty enclosure

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
A while back I bought one of those small sized exoTerra glass door enclosures with the intent of housing dart frogs or a Lygodactylus williamsi. When it came time to pick what I was going to put in it, I couldn't find "one or two" dart frogs that I wanted... and the williamsi are fairly hard to come by.

The idea is to put something in there that just looks nice. I've also recently considered a gargoyle gecko as I've always been fascinated with their eyes. Having recently been able to collect a Carolina mantis and a two stripped walking stick, I've also given some serious thought to trying to keep an Orchid mantis in there.

I'm not opposed to keeping any particular type of animal other than spiders, snakes and rodents. I have severe arachnophobia, my wife has a crazy rodent phobia, and snakes... well I don't mind them, but it's not something I care for.

Here's my household:
2 dogs - female, 2 cats - male squishy face furballs [my wife's cats, bleh], 2 male panthers, 4 females, a female beardie, a female veiled, and a female red eye crocodile skink. Oh.. right... and my wife just got a cockatoo [and stole my bird cage I used for my iguana years back]. Side note about the bird - my chams will freak over a plane coming by, but they don't mind the pet bird... it's like they know he's caged.

I really want a pig.... but it wont fit in an exoterra : (

So let's have some suggestions! I don't want to spend an arm and a leg... so nothing ultra rare. Also, if you have a source for your recommendation shout it out. [I've bought from Frank Payne and I was waiting for his williamsi but I wasn't able to get one from this batch]

A while back I bought one of those small sized exoTerra glass door enclosures with the intent of housing dart frogs or a Lygodactylus williamsi. When it came time to pick what I was going to put in it, I couldn't find "one or two" dart frogs that I wanted... and the williamsi are fairly hard to come by.

The idea is to put something in there that just looks nice. I've also recently considered a gargoyle gecko as I've always been fascinated with their eyes. Having recently been able to collect a Carolina mantis and a two stripped walking stick, I've also given some serious thought to trying to keep an Orchid mantis in there.

I'm not opposed to keeping any particular type of animal other than spiders, snakes and rodents. I have severe arachnophobia, my wife has a crazy rodent phobia, and snakes... well I don't mind them, but it's not something I care for.

Here's my household:
2 dogs - female, 2 cats - male squishy face furballs [my wife's cats, bleh], 2 male panthers, 4 females, a female beardie, a female veiled, and a female red eye crocodile skink. Oh.. right... and my wife just got a cockatoo [and stole my bird cage I used for my iguana years back]. Side note about the bird - my chams will freak over a plane coming by, but they don't mind the pet bird... it's like they know he's caged.

I really want a pig.... but it wont fit in an exoterra : (

So let's have some suggestions! I don't want to spend an arm and a leg... so nothing ultra rare. Also, if you have a source for your recommendation shout it out. [I've bought from Frank Payne and I was waiting for his williamsi but I wasn't able to get one from this batch]

A small gecko species might be fun! I nearly brought home a Cuban Ashy gecko and a nano-tall, at one point haha! I still want me a nice little desk lizard. :unsure:

A small gecko species might be fun! I nearly brought home a Cuban Ashy gecko and a nano-tall, at one point haha! I still want me a nice little desk lizard. :unsure:
Yea, that's basically it. I have plenty of things that I can take out. All but one of my chams are handle-able. I just want something that looks good. I even like the typical day geckos. My local shop has a two month old one I've been eyeing... but if I go that route I'd rather have the Williamsi [same gecko, just blue instead of green].

There is always scorpions
Not opposed to a scorpion... but I used to have them in my house growing up. I honestly don't know much about what kind of colors/patterns they come in, other than the obvious ones.

Gargoyle Geckos are dope!
They are! I have always liked them. I actually found one not too long ago when I was hunting for stick bugs [it was hiding inside a tree in a cave system of bark and dead branches]. I didn't grab it as that's just not my deal. That being said, some people want to charge an arm and a leg for them... which is why I don't own one, yet!

Thanks for the ideas!

First off, what 'small' Exo are we talking about? If I remember their notation correctly the 'small' start with the 12x12 foot print. Are we talking the 12x12x12 cube, 12x12x18 or the rare/newer 12x12x24?

If it's the cube, you're going to be hard-pressed for some herps, at that point I'd look into Mourning Geckos, they stay small and are all females as they are parthenogenic and lay eggs of their 'clones'. They feed on small insects and love Crested Gecko diet.

If you have the more common 18" tall model, I'd strongly recommend you look into the Eurydactylodes family of geckos, aka the 'Chameleon Gecko' as they are an interesting mini New Caledonian species that will feed primarily on Crested Gecko diet.

If you're stuck with the fun but challenging 24" 'paludarium' model the world is your oyster. You can do any of the above, but I'd look into the smaller Day Gecko family and hold out for the Williamsi. I almost got a trio years ago locally and I kick myself for passing up the deal. Keep an eye out on FaunaClassifieds and MorphMarket and you'll find some in time.

Back
Top Bottom