An AWWW moment..

Joann

My first blue

blue.jpg

thanks, it is sweet ,havent looked to see if its a boy or girl.I hope its a boy...Yes its a rat but its only 2 weeks old, not a great pic either.I will get some more pics this weekend when I clean out the cage and transfer all the babies over to a new cage.

Sweet! Is it a solid? Blue is such a difficult colour. Congratulations!
And folks, we all don't think of them as food! Rats are one of the coolest pets out there. IMO they are very close to dogs in personality and behaviour.

And folks, we all don't think of them as food! Rats are one of the coolest pets out there. IMO they are very close to dogs in personality and behaviour.

I usually dont correlate rats with food until I see a snake ;)

My mind wanders immediately to food since it's on a reptile forum.

I don't condone the breeding of small animals anyhow. There are already too many without homes.

This is one is not food, along with another blue hooded and a solid black.
I usually dont breed feeders but got a pair of untamed adults and decided to let them have a few litters to offset feeder prices..

I dont feed live either.They are humanely put down before feeding(CO2)..
If I could get my snakes to eat carrots it would be a whole lot easier.

This is one is not food, along with another blue hooded and a solid black.
I usually dont breed feeders but got a pair of untamed adults and decided to let them have a few litters to offset feeder prices..

I dont feed live either.They are humanely put down before feeding(CO2)..
If I could get my snakes to eat carrots it would be a whole lot easier.

I'm not in any way trying to start a debate or anything but I have heard that CO2 is actually not a humane way to euthanize feeder rodents. It's like putting a plastic bag over their faces and suffocating them... Is this true? I mean it makes sense. I have snakes and don't feed live either, I'd rather someone else do the killing of my snakes feeders. :)

Your little baby is cute as can be... He is only 2 weeks and with eyes wide open? Wow, lol! CUTE!

if they ate carrots Id probably have more snakes than socks.;)

I could never feed live or dead rodents regardless how humane you consider death. Somebody has to feed them though it just aint me .

CO2 is fast.In fact in Africa they have natural pockets of CO2(carbon dioxide).CO2 is heavier then oxygen and thus settles on the ground in little dips.Animals will go down to scavenge on the already dead animals in these pockets and will die while eating...You tell me if it was that bad they wouldnt sit there and die while eating thats for sure.(Something to do with volcanic activity if I recall, that the ground leaked CO2)..

Plus you have the normal breathing action, not like being suffocated.Its just a different gas your breathing in.They pass out and die in seconds.
Now to me people who freeze animals are being cruel..

I will say that crushing the skull is faster but messier.Death just isnt fun no matter how you do it.Whether the snake does it or I do it.I just try and do it the most humane and quick way I can.
I do buy feeders prefrozen too but I give my rats a better life while alive.They get lots of room, they have fresh veggies and other treats and nice bedding.Dying still sucks but we all do it and thats the way it is.Im sure if we had to kill our own animals to feed our dogs and cats people wouldnt own many of those either.
Im sure those crickets would love to live a longer life too, one species of animals life shouldnt be worth more then anothers.

It sure sounds like this one has something to do with food one way or another ;) regardless how cool a pet rat is.

I seen rats play basketball and jump on trampolines:eek:
@ Cosi Science Center

Now that is a cute picture.I love dumbos.Turns out the solid blue is a male and the hooded blue is a female.I also kept a black that is a male because he is so super friendly.I knew this would happen, this is why I quit breeding before.I ended up keeping too many.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom