American Silks - worms/moths

Luna.jpg
[/IMG]

I posted this a while ago, thought I'd share it again. Found this guy inside the mini-van at Smuggler's Notch Vermont!

Beautiful! and huge!

What are Luna Moths ? Never heard of them? I'm from cali maybe thats y. Can a chameleon eat them and are they like goliath worms/hornworms? Thanks =)

how far in are you? hows it going?

I was starting to collect enough hoppers to breed, but had to move to an apt, and there is no way my wife is going to be cool with putting them on out balcony.

bummer to because i see them all over my complex for some reason

I bet the Parsonii's love them, they fly, their big, and their green. You can buy them off of carolina.com if anyone was curious.

how far in are you? hows it going?
I bought and received eggs before the supershow in San Diego, and they started hatching the following Monday. So I'm about two weeks in. I want to go through one life cycle with them, and see if I can get viable eggs from moths to start another cycle.
What do the little buggers eat?:)

Nick
I'm feeding them liquidamber maple leaves, but they feed on a variety of trees making it easy to find food for them. Birch, oak, walnut, pecan.

What are Luna Moths ? Never heard of them? I'm from cali maybe thats y. Can a chameleon eat them and are they like goliath worms/hornworms? Thanks =)
Moths only live for ten days, and most active at night / right before dawn. So this is why most people rarely see them in wild. They are more like a silkworm than a hornworm. Big chameleon can eat them. Typical wing span can run 8" to 11". But wings do fold nicely into the mouth of a parson's, ;) so I've heard.

Last edited:
do the little pricklies cause irritation on the larvae cause irritation?

Not sure, I have'nt handled them much. I just stick a fresh branch of leaves in with them when the leaves wilt, or as branch gets stripped of leaves.
It's the moths I'm after, but that's a generation away. These guys pictured are far too hairy to use as a feeder.

oh I know im just curious because many american silk moths larvae have irritating hairs on them (ex. Io, Cecropia, Polythemus etc).

oh I know im just curious because many american silk moths larvae have irritating hairs on them (ex. Io, Cecropia, Polythemus etc).

Yeah, I avoid all hairy things. Oddly enough the Luna moth larvae expel the natural build up of toxins from feeding. While most others in this family keep irritants and toxins in, to deter predatory animals.
I think because their cousins carry the irritants, the luna moth can get by with no defense. And have a come and eat me attitude.

Back
Top Bottom