Ambilobe SVL to age ratio.

BIGGUN

Avid Member
Someone besides my wife just told me that I have a small lizard and it hurt my feelings.

I was wondering what size ranges (SVL or tip to tip) to expect from month to month for an Ambilobe.

Thanks,
Kevin

my knowledge is limited somewhat. but my sambava at i believe 6 months is weighing in at 96 grams.

he's a pretty big boy.

My fastest growning ambilobes are well into the 6-7 inche range at 3-3.5 months. The slowest growing are at 4 inches at about 3 months.

Kevina,

Well I guess mine are small.

How long of a gestation period?

Are the males 6" and the females 4"?

Thanks,
Kevin

my 4 month old and 1 week ambilobe is 7.5 inches...dont know his wieght he is still crumpy so no quick handaling for him..

I think adding info on what is fed, bug sizes and quantity are important. Power feeding will produce bigger chams in a shorter time. Also whether the chams are exposed to sunlight is also a factor.

Someone besides my wife just told me that I have a small lizard and it hurt my feelings.

I was wondering what size ranges (SAL or tip to tip) to expect from month to month for an Ambilobe.

Thanks,
Kevin

Awww, poor Kevin. Size doesn't matter :D :D :D Oh wait...sometimes it does! Sick humor.

This is just my opionion but fluctuating the incubator temps when incubating (making the incubation time longer) may help create more robust babies. Then once hatched definitely access to natural sunlight really effects growing. UVB lights and Vit D3 is necessary but you can't beat the natural sun (but not for long periods of time as I recently found out...hurt my babies eyes but they're OK now) :eek:

Debs

Bingo !

Then once hatched definitely access to natural sunlight really effects growing. UVB lights and Vit D3 is necessary but you can't beat the natural sun

Exactly. While many other factors are important, if you kept all other things equal, and raised half a clutch in warm outdoor temps and sunlight, and the other half indoors under artificial light and managing temps as best you could, you would not think them sibling groups at three months. Even then, within each group, there would be fast-growers and slow-growers.

While not completely accurate, you could tell your wife "Quality takes time ... Look at me, I'm still getting better with age!" :D

Don't feel bad, my boy is 8 months old and only 7 inches. He is still eating 1/2 inch crickets because the regular crickets are larger than his head!

Tell your wife "But dear the chameleon is like a fine wine - it grows better with time!"

Ya, but my wife was the one who said I had a small lizard.......oh, wait, that was something altogether different. :rolleyes:

Ok thanks for the input. I guess as long as they're healthy and eating that's all I should worry about.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Kevina,

How long of a gestation period?

Are the males 6" and the females 4"?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Mine were in the egg for about 200-215 days.
They get morning sunlight almost every day, sometimes I forget to open the sliding door so it's through glass occationally though.

Most of the larger ones are males like you suggested, only 1 big female.

Fed 2 times a day, with cricket crack gutloaded crickets. Misted as much as I can when it is dry. 11-12 hour daylight period.
I think a normal sized 3 month old would be about 4 inches grown indoors under uvb tube.

Last edited:
I think my guy ran pretty small - don't have month-by-month measurements, but when I got him (shipped at "2.5-3.5 months", so I split the difference and called it 3 months) he was less than two inches SVL (tail added a bit). He grew up big, strong and healthy, though.

Back
Top Bottom