Ambilobe Panther not projecting tongue

Definitely get some vitamins, using twice a month. Maybe set the feeders a little farther away so he has to use the tongue and see what happens. 7 days is just too quickly to cause issues IMO. I have seen shipping cause problems and them being imtimidated also. They can have a scaredy cat response when bitten by feeder. Maybe try a mantid or superworm about 12" from him and see how he reacts. They should entice a tongue flick.

I have tried that. He stretches out as far as he can on his rear legs and shoots his tongue maybe 3/4"-1" and that's the max. Misses each time also when he does this. Maybe some more vitamins will help him out. Gonna get a multivitamin like suggested and see where it goes from here on out. I just don't have the time to hand feed consistently or keep taking legs off feeders so they can't get away. Possibly rehome him if this becomes a large hassle.

In the video he was a good 8 inches away and he just keeps walking towards it. Even as I move it away.

I watched him try and eat free range and he clearly has a free easy shot at one and instead chases it and of course misses it. This is all without me being seen watching him. Or at least I think ha.

I had one whose tongue was fixed (shipping injury), but still insisted on manually feeding afterwards. He RARELY used it. Be careful not to overdose or do too much.

I'm straying away from injury or those sorts due to the fact this is two from same breeder doing exact same thing and fellow above mentioned he has two also from same breeder and one possibly from the same clutch doing great and drilling crickets. Idk maybe he doesn't like the cage he's in.

I will be more then likely getting rid of the chameleon. I do not have the time to consistently hand feed everyday as required. This is the best option. Can't seem to find what wrong or the issue so this would be the best option as I work a ton and no one else is really home half the days.

If you would correct the issue you wouldn't likely have to hand feed it.

If it's a nutritional issue it needs liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate in addition to the regular supplementing regime. It needs propriate temperatures to aid in proper digestion and thus indirectly in the nutrient absorption, proper UVB light and you need to feed / gutload the crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc with an assortment of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc

Since it happened with two IMHO the only other thing likely is dehydration.

Of course if giving the proper husbandry to the chameleon is too much for you then you should let it go to someone who will look after it.

everything except the liquid calcium has been in use since we got him. Ive had a previous one with this issue, breeder swapped. The new cage is being set up now and hopefully this fixes. If not, he may be going to a new home with a friend with much more free time then me. Im just not home a lot and rely on misting systems and free ranging for him to eat, not much i can do if he can't catch them and I'm not home for the day...

Here is a picture of his urate if anyone else has anything else to try and or chime in on. I am at a complete loss here. I will upload a current video of his progress but I don't see it getting much better. He seems to always be shaking when he is about to project and always misses. Short little tongue about 1/3-3/4 out.

d6505a141f45e9de4a61ac44f31358ff.jpg

Had a little progress over the past week. Starting upping his calcium w/d3 to every day for 5 days now back to plain calcium. He now shoot his tongue about 2-3 inches but still misses high. Better then nothing. Slowly but surely hopefully this gets to be fully fixed and healthy.

Just be really careful with how much d3 you are giving. An overdose is what caused my cham to loose tongue projection. I had to switch the brand and back off the d3 for a month or two and although he has much improvement he is still not 100%. Im glad to hear he is doing better though :)

I've stopped d3. Back to straight calcium. It had vitamins in it plentiful so I figured I'd give it a try. He is still missing high but shooting well. Hopefully this new cage will help even more as he is currently in a glass terrarium and sees everything going on around. Just purchased a large breeder series from dragonstrand. So we will see how this all goes.

You don't want to use multivitamins every feeding. Just plain calcium. Multivitamin should be twice a month. I'm glad to hear he's improving, I know how stressful it can be to have an ailing cham.

I only did it to help his issue. I was recommended vitamins and I gave it a four day run. Back to plain calcium now

Following along here. I recently picked up a young pair (~2months old) of ambilobe Panthers and I'm experiencing the same thing with my little male. He pokes his tongue out just about a 1/4 inch. I'm forced to hand feed him. He's still super active and appears healthy with a solid stool and pure white urate. He shows interest in food (small crickets and tiny dubias) but can't really use his tongue properly. Hmmmmm.

Yea I still have nothing yet. He uses it everytime but still consistently misses and it's only as long as in the video which seems to be a bit short. But hey it's better then it was. He always misses high. This is one thing I wanted to avoid. I got two from the same vendor and they both did the same thing as this little guy.

Hmm. Mine shoots his tongue out here and there but also shoots high. I see we are right near one another location wise. What vendor did you purchase from?

Through some scouring of the forum I'm curious if it is a vitamin deficiency of A, or D3, or something like that. I've only had them for 4 days. And I've given them a dusting of a vitamin supplement. D'you think its safe to feed again tonight with a dust of calcium with D3?

East coast chameleon at the harve de grace show. They actually swapped out the first one that had the issue so they are great also just a hike away in delaware from me.
They where great with everything, I though it could have just been my set up.
Recently started talking with canvas chameleons. Great people over there. Just purchased my cage through them and about to pickup a new Ambilobe male from them next weekend.

Where are you located?

Edited my post above ... I bought mine from a local guy, who very well may have picked them up through them. I'm not completely sure.

Back
Top Bottom