ambilobe male going downhill fast need advice

reptileman

Avid Member
hameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther Chameleon, 6 months old male, I have had him for about a month
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 times a week for a very short amount of time
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets/roachesWhat amount? 8-10 a day What is the schedule? once a dayHow are you gut-loading your feeders? carrots and cricket crack
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repcal w/ d3 and repcal w/o d3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Mistking How often and how long to you mist? 3 times a day 2 mins each Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes until today
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? not tested but look normal
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. none

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18by18by36 screen cage
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 75 watt heat bulb, reptisun 5.0
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?82-85 basking Lowest overnight temp? 65 How do you measure these temps? thermometers in cage and ambient room temp
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? yes If so, what kind? scheffellera
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? about 5 ft
Location - Where are you geographically located? coast of so cal

Current Problem - My male went from happy and healthy this morning and eating and drinking to being almost dead barely clinging to his branch. I have had my share of illnesses with all the chams I have owned but nothing so severe so quickly. I did not have any warning as he was eating from my hand yesterday and was out being shown off to some friends who havnt seen a cham before. He showed absolutely no ill signs at all. I am going to do whatever I can to get a vet visit asap but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good vet as the one I have used before has never been able to do much other than prescribe me meds for my own diagnoses...... I dont have a clue what could have caused this and am praying he makes it through the night. if anyone has any info or help its greatly apreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 183
Contact Tom Greek, DVM, Yorba Linda. He is the best I know of in that area. A lot of the people here use and are very pleased. Call his emergency number tomorrow.

unfortunately he did not make it through the night. I went to check on him and he has already passed. this has been the most tragic experience I have had with these critters, if anyone thinks they have an idea on what could have caused this or what it is I would really apreciate it so I can make sure it does not potentially see any issues of the sort with my other chams.

I am so sorry for the loss of your boy! I remember when my boy was very ill and feeling so helpless, I could not help him nor did I know what to do to ease his passing! I hope it was nothing contagious and your other chams remain well. I am sure there will be someone who can give you an idea of what may have happened.

I am so sorry for your loss. He looked like a beautiful guy. Like Jann said, maybe a necropsy to try and find the cause. Maybe he ate something that he couldn't pass or something poisonous? Just a guess.

He was a beautiful boy, so terribly sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a Cham but to have one pass so unexpectedly is a shock. I also would recommend a necropsy in order to know exactly what caused his loss. RIP little guy. :(

wow that sucks.. sorry for your loss.

What I first thought was did you recently wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer right before you fed him.... Or my second thought was some kinda of lotion or hand santizer, or make up product from a friend handeling the poor fella? Did he possibly take a fall and nobody see?

I don't weigh in on things as much as I used to, however your loss is one I know well from over the years.

For an animal to drop as suddenly as yours did you can narrow it down to a few things....

- Animal had an internal injury from either rough handling or a fall.

- Animal ate something that it shouldn't

- Was exposed to some kind of chemical.

It doesn't appear to have any indications of overheating nor malnutrition.

While expensive in one hand, a proper necropsy done by Dr. Greek would be a wise investment. The few times over the years I've had that done with an unexplained or sudden death in the collection I've found it always useful.

I've used Dr. Greek personally for a Mt Meru that needed a broken horn removed. I found him pleasant, understanding, and very skilled. He was not horribly priced either, quite reasonable. Considering Panthers don't just drop dead I'd say it would be worth your time to have the work done.

Don't freeze him, just keep him in the fridge.

So sorry to hear about your boy miles.. I to was thinking food poisoning an poisoned from something on someones hands ? like was said its hard to say without having him opened up

First of all I wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss!

Secondly, hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I am currently prepping for my new baby panther. So part of my prepping is reading and researching all I can to ensure the health and safety of my lil' guy, who btw just hatched a week ago. I have noticed a reply that caught my interest and would like more help or info on things to avoid as far as poisons and chemicals from others or myself (not planning on a ton of strange peeps handling my guy, but things I may have on myself too). Not big into lotions and I often wash my hands with regular soap since I am a lab scientist but all the info on this subject would be greatly appreciated since this is the first I'm seeing of it.:eek:

Welcome. If you have questions, probably best to start your own thread and we can try and help you with any questions you have.

Back
Top Bottom