Ambato and Matschiei

just a few quick pics I took today with my Iphone. Sorry for the not so great quality of pics though...

Aqua Man

under his umbrella and after a shower from the hose:)

under a cloud, but in a bright sky, his color looks a bit different. His colors are pretty insane looking. He is even brighter in person!

One of my male Giant Fischers getting bigger:)

Both of those boys are gorgeous! Aqua Man's colors are so vibrant and your Giant Fischer has really grown into a handsome man. Did he come from Chad? I really love this species but it is so hot to try to keep the montanes here in FL.

Very impressive chameleons. What sortof cage have you got that Ambato in? The spacing of the wire makes me think a bird aviary kind of cage? I've been thinking of getting some to put in my garden, planted heavily, for my veileds to stay in for the entire summer.

Thanks everyone!

Both of those boys are gorgeous! Aqua Man's colors are so vibrant and your Giant Fischer has really grown into a handsome man. Did he come from Chad? I really love this species but it is so hot to try to keep the montanes here in FL.

Jann, funny you would say that. Just so everyone knows, I live in an area of Southern California that gets the extremes of weather. HOT dry summers and cold wet winters. It has been 90-100 everyday for the past month or more and before that it was close to 90 for months. I just brought one of the males inside into that large exo terra just to see if he seemed more at ease than the others outside. I keep all the others in a very large VERY densely planted cage. Today was 103 degrees! and they are just as happy as can be. I have an overhead misting system that is on all day long tho so it cools it down a bit but still, they dont NEED it cool. I have found in my experience that most "montane" chameleon species Ive kept for long periods of time dont actually need cool temps like so many believe they do. My deremensis, multis, mats, hoehnelli, all handle the outside just fine:) Ive seen all of them basking in 85 degree weather in full sun, minus the deremensis. I regularly see the hoehnelli basking in 90+ degree sun.

Very impressive chameleons. What sortof cage have you got that Ambato in? The spacing of the wire makes me think a bird aviary kind of cage? I've been thinking of getting some to put in my garden, planted heavily, for my veileds to stay in for the entire summer.

Yes, its a large aviary enclosure very heavily planted with schefflera, diff ficus species and another plant I cant name. He loves it out there.

Thanks everyone!

Jann, funny you would say that. Just so everyone knows, I live in an area of Southern California that gets the extremes of weather. HOT dry summers and cold wet winters. It has been 90-100 everyday for the past month or more and before that it was close to 90 for months. I just brought one of the males inside into that large exo terra just to see if he seemed more at ease than the others outside. I keep all the others in a very large VERY densely planted cage. Today was 103 degrees! and they are just as happy as can be. I have an overhead misting system that is on all day long tho so it cools it down a bit but still, they dont NEED it cool. I have found in my experience that most "montane" chameleon species Ive kept for long periods of time dont actually need cool temps like so many believe they do. My deremensis, multis, mats, hoehnelli, all handle the outside just fine:) Ive seen all of them basking in 85 degree weather in full sun, minus the deremensis. I regularly see the hoehnelli basking in 90+ degree sun.

Yes, its a large aviary enclosure very heavily planted with schefflera, diff ficus species and another plant I cant name. He loves it out there.

Do you have Johnstoni as well? Do they also seem to like it warmer than what is commonly thought?

And your panther is smoking!

Looking great as usual Paul!

Do you have Johnstoni as well? Do they also seem to like it warmer than what is commonly thought?

My lone male Johnstoni has been outside this whole summer here in MI. While we don't have the consistent scorching weather you guys can have down there, its been high eighties low nineties all August and he had zero issues. Densely planted cages and a little extra water will keep them safe.

I had a trio of johnstoni for several years. They were actually mine and my dads. He was dumb enough to forget to turn the garage AC on one day that got to 114 degrees, and had the garage door open and the sun came in and they were done. You can imagine how shall we say "upset" I was with him. But, while I had them outside in the backyard in large, heavily planted cages, they did just fine with temps in the 90s. They had overhead misters running throughout the day and had timed misting sessions inside their cages about 4 times a day. They were actually very hardy chameleons in my opinion, and absolutely gorgeous! bright turquoise and yellow. Ive posted pics of them on here before.

Here are a few more from today...oh and btw, this guy needs a female with some insane color traits like him so that can makes some babies:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom