Am I male or female

Feeding- I'll feed him Sunday-Wednesday-Friday 3 large crickets. Is it ok to give him a horned worm on Tuesdays? Seeing him beg for food is gonna break my heart. When he comes to the front of the cage, looks straight at me with both eyes, I'm gonna cry but I'm gonna stay strong.
You can add in a hornworm on whatever day you would like. If you want to do it on a feeding day that is fine.

It is hard with these guys but obesity has serious health complications for them. Renal failure and gout being two of the more serious ones. So we have to practice tough love to ensure what is best for them.

Did you get all the correct info for housing him and the correct lighting?

You can add in a hornworm on whatever day you would like. If you want to do it on a feeding day that is fine.

It is hard with these guys but obesity has serious health complications for them. Renal failure and gout being two of the more serious ones. So we have to practice tough love to ensure what is best for them.

Did you get all the correct info for housing him and the correct lighting?
I did my own research. I have the dual uva/uvb light. Uvb bulb is t5HO. I'm going to complete the husbandry review.

I did my own research. I have the dual uva/uvb light. Uvb bulb is t5HO. I'm going to complete the husbandry review.
Copy and paste the questions below into your reply and then fill them out with as much detail as possible. Please take pics of the entire cage and the lighting on top for us. And of your supplements. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So this is going to have to be reduced. Should not be getting more than 2-3 feeders 3 days a week only. No wax worms at all they are all fat. If he only wants crickets that is fine because it is what he knows.

And he may be great with other reptiles... Chameleons are more of a specialty animal. Just because a vet knows iguanas does not in turn mean they know chameleons.

Let us know if you would like to do a husbandry review and one of us can post the form for you to fill out. This can be extremely helpful when your new to chams. :) Welcome to the forum!
I switched Carmelo's feeding schedule and decreased the number of feeders per feeding. He is not eating at feedings. I free range feed because he likes to hunt. He now just sits and watches the crickets on the screen. Before the change, he would eat all of his feeders within 15 minutes. I don't know if he is eating his feeders at a later time. His poop is now half white, half light orange with a small amount of brown. He has changed his sleeping spot, he spends less time at the front of the cage, and generally seems unhappy.

I switched Carmelo's feeding schedule and decreased the number of feeders per feeding. He is not eating at feedings. I free range feed because he likes to hunt. He now just sits and watches the crickets on the screen. Before the change, he would eat all of his feeders within 15 minutes. I don't know if he is eating his feeders at a later time. His poop is now half white, half light orange with a small amount of brown. He has changed his sleeping spot, he spends less time at the front of the cage, and generally seems unhappy.
Did you get the T5HO fixture and 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb? the fecal is the brown part the urate is the white with orange. These sound normal.

Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure?

Did you get the T5HO fixture and 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb? the fecal is the brown part the urate is the white with orange. These sound normal.

Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure?
I am implementing additional enclosure changes this weekend. I have the repti sun 5THO. I am adding a ton of live plants, moving current branches/vines and adding additional branches/vines. I made my own ledges out of pvc moulding. I've purchased coconut fiber flower pots. I will be replanting and mounting plants in enclosure. I also purchased an automatic misting system. So I have a ton of work to do. Once completed, I'll send pics. Will I see urates without fecal matter?

I am implementing additional enclosure changes this weekend. I have the repti sun 5THO. I am adding a ton of live plants, moving current branches/vines and adding additional branches/vines. I made my own ledges out of pvc moulding. I've purchased coconut fiber flower pots. I will be replanting and mounting plants in enclosure. I also purchased an automatic misting system. So I have a ton of work to do. Once completed, I'll send pics. Will I see urates without fecal matter?
I'm also working on cup feeding. I've got large Dubias and Crickets. Im trying to get Charmelo to try Dubia Roaches. Is there a different method to serve the roaches? Tongs are out, he feels threatened.

Sometimes yes they will pass a fecal without a urate.
I'm also working on cup feeding. I've got large Dubias and Crickets. Im trying to get Charmelo to try Dubia Roaches. Is there a different method to serve the roaches? Tongs are out, he feels threatened.
You could use a feeder run. Something like the full throttle feeder or the shooting gallery that TK chameleons sells. Then they see the insects easily. Most take to these pretty well.

Sometimes yes they will pass a fecal without a urate.

You could use a feeder run. Something like the full throttle feeder or the shooting gallery that TK chameleons sells. Then they see the insects easily. Most take to these pretty well.
I have made all of the changes to Carmelo Cham's habitat. I will be installing live plants today. I
Implemented a feeding schedule which reduced his feedings, amount and frequency, I've not seen poop in 6 days. I see urates every other day, all white (one had some light orange tint) so I gave him an extra horned worm for the week. Urates are back to all white.

I have made all of the changes to Carmelo Cham's habitat. I will be installing live plants today. I
Implemented a feeding schedule which reduced his feedings, amount and frequency, I've not seen poop in 6 days. I see urates every other day, all white (one had some light orange tint) so I gave him an extra horned worm for the week. Urates are back to all white.
So fecals will reduce with reduced food intake. This is normal.
Will Chams eat their poop?How often should they poop?
Correlates to food intake. No they typically will not touch a fecal.

Did you do a husbandry review? Post pics of the new enclosure set up including lights on top when you get it complete.

Did you do a husbandry review? Post pics of the new enclosure set up including lights on top when you get it complete.
Yes, I did the husbandry review and have implemented changes. I got rid of tape, plastic flowers, new light T5HO (8-9 INCHES), more branches, added plexiglass glass, installed smart mister, added a fogger. Im in Texas, a month ago I was using central air now im using central heat, which is causing less humidity. So today I'm adding live plants, additional misting sessions, and a plant light. Im also hoping to build a cabinet to raise the enclosure up about 4 ft.

Can I use my dual Dome for an additional uva light? I now have the reptisun 24" T5HO

You could use two lower watt bulbs in it. You just do not want to add a lot of heat. Basking temps should be 80-85 max.
I'm right at 80 so I will let it be. With the temp change in Texas, I'm struggling with humidity levels. I can't seem to keep daytime humidity between 40%-50%. I'm hovering at 39%. Night time humidity hovers around 55%. Before the temp change my humidity levels were on point. Help! This is day 3 with low humidity. We have central heat an air. The heat has been on this week. I might need to whip out the cool mist humidifier.

I'm right at 80 so I will let it be. With the temp change in Texas, I'm struggling with humidity levels. I can't seem to keep daytime humidity between 40%-50%. I'm hovering at 39%. Night time humidity hovers around 55%. Before the temp change my humidity levels were on point. Help! This is day 3 with low humidity. We have central heat an air. The heat has been on this week. I might need to whip out the cool mist humidifier.
So firstly don't panic. One thing I think that is often forgotten is that with live plants we get gradients of humidity. Your levels are still within limits. Night humidity is directly linked to another form of hydration. Cold humid air is then breathed in creating another form of hydration for the cham. It does not mean you have to have 100% humidity either. There is such a thing as overkill as well causing over hydration. So your finding the happy medium for your environment. Adding the plexiglass siding to the 2 sides and back will help create more gradients in the cage. Adding your live plants are going to help even more.

One thing to touch on is that depending on where your humidity gauge is you will get different readings. Towards the top of the cage it will always be lower due to the lights and heat then as you move down into the cage where ambient temps are lower you will then get higher humidity levels. This is the same when we look at levels at the front of a cage vs the back of the cage especially when the back and sides are blocked off.

So firstly don't panic. One thing I think that is often forgotten is that with live plants we get gradients of humidity. Your levels are still within limits. Night humidity is directly linked to another form of hydration. Cold humid air is then breathed in creating another form of hydration for the cham. It does not mean you have to have 100% humidity either. There is such a thing as overkill as well causing over hydration. So your finding the happy medium for your environment. Adding the plexiglass siding to the 2 sides and back will help create more gradients in the cage. Adding your live plants are going to help even more.

One thing to touch on is that depending on where your humidity gauge is you will get different readings. Towards the top of the cage it will always be lower due to the lights and heat then as you move down into the cage where ambient temps are lower you will then get higher humidity levels. This is the same when we look at levels at the front of a cage vs the back of the cage especially when the back and sides are blocked off.
Understood. I have temp/humidity gages at top and bottom but I've changed the entire habitat. Basking branch is now in the middle. I should have my all of plants installed today. I will send pics once completed.

Understood. I have temp/humidity gages at top and bottom but I've changed the entire habitat. Basking branch is now in the middle. I should have my all of plants installed today. I will send pics once completed.
k send pics when you can and just ensure that uvb is the correct distance from the fixture for your bulb and fixture type.

Back
Top Bottom