Am I in trouble??

ChickenParmesan

Is there a vet available that can help me? Today I gave Pixel (panther chameleon) his antibiotic injection (think it's baytril) and then accidentally poked myself in the thumb with the syringe! It was bleeding quite a bit. :eek:

Do I have chameleon disease in my thumb now? Is it bad that there was maybe some medication on the needle still?

I'm not looking to make someone liable for medical advice or anything...just wondering what a vet does when this happens. Is it like an emergency round of antibiotics or just peroxide the area and bandage? I'm freaking out!!

All I can say is, I have stuck myself and have no I'll effects fron it. I am sure you are ok. Don't those little thin needles hurt and bleed? I hate that. Also, I am NOT a vet.

Is there a vet available that can help me? Today I gave Pixel (panther chameleon) his antibiotic injection (think it's baytril) and then accidentally poked myself in the thumb with the syringe! It was bleeding quite a bit. :eek:

Do I have chameleon disease in my thumb now? Is it bad that there was maybe some medication on the needle still?

I'm not looking to make someone liable for medical advice or anything...just wondering what a vet does when this happens. Is it like an emergency round of antibiotics or just peroxide the area and bandage? I'm freaking out!!

have you had a tetanus shot recently? (last two years or so?)

Thanks Laurie. Yes, I was just saying I didn't even think it was that sharp bc I have to really push it through his skin...guess his skin s a lot tougher than mine!

And can you believe the way this appended is the needle poked right through the cap!

Yak: no I haven't had a tetanus shot in forever...should I be concerned about that? Ack!

In your shoes, I would just disinfect really well. But Baytril is harmless in this scenario, the needle was clean before you used it today (I would hope) so not really a risk of anything from the needle itself, and if your chameleon has a respiratory infection or something this isn't going to get you sick. Reptiles are associated with different undesirable strains of things, however, so that's why I recommend disinfecting with alcohol or something but in your shoes I wouldn't rush to the ER.

Thanks, Olimpia. I used rubbing alcohol then peroxide....then applied bacitracin and put an antibiotic bandaid on for good measure.

Unfortunately the vet never knew exactly what was wrong with him so not sure what the exact infection was.

at piglet
An endospore is a non-metabolizing survival structure that begins to metabolize and cause infection once in an adequate environment. Because C. tetani is an anaerobic bacterium, it and its endospores thrive in environments that lack oxygen. Hence, stepping on a nail (rusty or not) may result in a tetanus infection, as the low-oxygen (anaerobic) environment is caused by the oxidization of the same object that causes a puncture wound, delivering endospores to a suitable environment for growth.[10] Tetanus is an international health problem, as C. tetani spores are ubiquitous. The disease occurs almost exclusively in persons unvaccinated or inadequately immunized.[2] It is more common in hot, damp climates with soil rich in organic matter. This is particularly true with manure-treated soils, as the spores are widely distributed in the intestines and feces of many non-human animals such as horses, sheep, cattle, dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs, and chickens.[3] Spores can be introduced into the body through puncture wounds. In agricultural areas, a significant number of human adults may harbor the organism. The spores can also be found on skin surfaces and in contaminated heroin.[3] Heroin users, particularly those that inject the drug, appear to be at high risk for tetanus.

in other words,
the concern is not the needle
nor is it the antibiotic
the concern would be it occurred AFTER injecting the Herp.

Although turtles and some other reptiles are known to carry Salmonella, I am aware of no cases of transmission from snakes to humans. I am, however, aware of just a couple of reported cases of tetanus poisoning associated with snake bites. These cases have been reported in other parts of the world where inoculations against tetanus are rare and the bites in question involved the deep puncture wounds of venomous snakes. In other words, the risk of transmitting any disease associated with nonvenomous snake bites is virtually zero. The same also holds true for venomous snake bites, but there is definitely a greater risk of secondary infection with venomous snake bites.

I would def ask a doctor. maybe not the ER but consult with a medic

*stands on a soapbox*

Tetanus shots and regular boosters are always a good idea. I work in an industry where I regularly get cut, scratched, and punctured by rusty and dirty things. (Do I have a problem with any of those injuries? No. Now when I accidentally stabbed myself with a ball point pen, my finger swelled up like a sausage, but that's a story for anther time.) I am actually getting a regular booster this Friday since I consider myself high risk.

Everyone should maintain tetanus immunizations! You probably have a low chance of contracting a tetanus infection, but the shot is readily available, and your insurance might even cover it 100% as a prophylactic measure. It may save you some suffering in the event of a stupid accident, like stepping on a sharp rock or stabbing yourself with your chameleon's needle ;)

*gets off the soapbox*

I agree with Yak. Schedule an appointment with your Doc and ask if anything is recommended. Worst case scenario, if you lose that finger, it will be a great way to pick up chicks in a bar ("Hey, baby, wanna hear how I narrowly escaped death by exotic lizard?")

Good luck! :D

All noted. Thanks for the thorough description and information, Yak and thanks for the soapbox rant, Lathis (omg lose the finger wtf!). I'm taking all of this very seriously!

Back
Top Bottom